PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install, or simple update?

Zyrtec
April 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I'm already running 9.10 on my machine right now, but I've been getting mixed answers elsewhere on the net.

Should I just do an update to 10.04, or should I do a clean install?

I've heard mixed things -- people updating said that they had no problems, while others have said that they were having some buggy problems with video and all that.

Thanks!

StrayPanda42
April 29th, 2010, 06:35 AM
If you have the time, I would just say backup what you need and do the upgrade. If you have problems wipe and do a clean install. I haven't played with 10.04 myself yet, but this seemed easy enough for me to answer for you. :)

smellyman
April 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM
If you have the time, I would just say backup what you need and do the upgrade. If you have problems wipe and do a clean install. I haven't played with 10.04 myself yet, but this seemed easy enough for me to answer for you. :)

agreed this is often talked about here. But if your data is backed up, try the update. If it you think it isn't clean or if it fails, do a fresh intall. doesn't hurt.

Me, I will just do it clean, not to hard to get it back up and running like it was. After all there is no software license keys to track down and reinstall. :)

RolandFlagg
April 29th, 2010, 07:41 AM
similar question here, except i'm still on 9.04, would it be a gud idea to just update? last time i updated from 8.10 to 9.04 it was a pain and i ended up having to reinstall everything. I'm in college right now taking a classes where the usage of linux is very crucial for homework purposes, would it be worth the risk to do an update? thanks

47of74
April 29th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I'm probably going to just go and do a fresh install on my netbook. I don't have much on the netbook since it's my traveling machine, certainly nothing that's irreplaceable.

beta.tester
April 29th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I'm already running 9.10 on my machine right now, but I've been getting mixed answers elsewhere on the net.

Should I just do an update to 10.04, or should I do a clean install?

I've heard mixed things -- people updating said that they had no problems, while others have said that they were having some buggy problems with video and all that.

Thanks!

Hi

I personally would recommend *first!* backup all your /home to external hdd or pen drive.

Then go for the upgrade as if it fails you have the option of a fresh install and VERY importantly all your /home is backed up.

Incidentally, I also recommend :

1) Evolution as its backup and restore features are 2nd to none and absolutely brilliant! backing up produces a backup file that contains all your contacts, messages and mail settings, and you may use this file to restore froma brand new install and have all those back again :)

2) the add on xmarks in Firefox. It has the ability to store all your bookmarks and site passwords. If you have to reinstall Firefox later on the same machine *or* another, xmarks will restore both your bookmarks and passwords also.

Keep on Ubunting and roll on the Release today :) john

HC48
April 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the Xmarks tip. This is really useful for me, especially as I have a lot of stuff to research.
H :)

beta.tester
April 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the Xmarks tip. This is really useful for me, especially as I have a lot of stuff to research.
H :)

You are more than welcome.

I would be lost without it also :)

Keep on Ubuntuing and kind regards john

ftornell
April 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Have a similar question?

I have 3 computers running Ubuntu; two is running 9.10 and 1 is running 10.04 Beta2.

Is the process of doing an upgrade sudo apg-get upgrade or dist-upgrade or is it the same thing?

beta.tester
April 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Have a similar question?

I have 3 computers running Ubuntu; two is running 9.10 and 1 is running 10.04 Beta2.

Is the process of doing an upgrade sudo apg-get upgrade or dist-upgrade or is it the same thing?

Hi

By reinstalling *all* the updates to 10.04 beta 2 you will have the latest release when it comes out already installed :)

This link for the upgrade of 9.10 to 10.04 ;)
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading (principle as opposed to specific).

Also PLEASE back up your /home directory of the 9.10 systems (that way if the upgarde is successful all well and good :) However if it fails for whatever reason, you can safe install from scratch and have all your relevent files safe!

To repeat what I said elsewhere:

Using Evolution is great as its ability to both backup and restore your mail applies to everything appertaining to mail:
messages, contacts and email settings.

Use the add-on xmarks for Evolution to back and then restore all your bookmarks and site passwords.

Above all that keep on Ubunting :) john

snowpine
April 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM
similar question here, except i'm still on 9.04, would it be a gud idea to just update? last time i updated from 8.10 to 9.04 it was a pain and i ended up having to reinstall everything. I'm in college right now taking a classes where the usage of linux is very crucial for homework purposes, would it be worth the risk to do an update? thanks

Definitely not worth the risk!!! Stick with 9.04 until your classes are over. It will be fully supported through October. Once you are on vacation, only then think about upgrading to the new release.

If you are in a hurry to see what 10.04 is all about, you can test drive it as a Live CD with no change to your computer. :)

snowpine
April 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Have a similar question?

Neither of those commands will update from 9.10 to 10.04. :)

Upgrade instructions will be posted here shortly after 10.04 is released:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

RolandFlagg
April 30th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Definitely not worth the risk!!! Stick with 9.04 until your classes are over. It will be fully supported through October. Once you are on vacation, only then think about upgrading to the new release.

If you are in a hurry to see what 10.04 is all about, you can test drive it as a Live CD with no change to your computer. :)

KK thanks a lot for the advice lol, I was thinking along the same lines actually, just really wanted to try out the new system