PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Samba in 10.04 RC - Start or Restart?

kamlapati
April 29th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I am setting up a simple home server using Ubuntu Server 10.04 RC. When I try to restart Samba after a config change, I get the message:

sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not found

Sure enough, if I do a find, it's not there:

home@server:~$ sudo find / -type f -name "samba"
/etc/cron.daily/samba
/etc/default/samba
/etc/ufw/applications.d/samba
/etc/apparmor.d/abstractions/samba
/etc/bash_completion.d/samba
/etc/pam.d/samba
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d/samba
/etc/logrotate.d/samba
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/samba

How else can I restart Samba? Should I try to directly start nmbd and smbd? If so, what's the exact syntax? Is there a better way?

frodemt
April 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I got the same problem. It is simply gone in 10.04 LTS....:confused:

radoi
April 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
try

service smbd restart

kamlapati
April 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks radoi, will do.

Any reason why it has moved from it's previous location?

frodemt
April 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I would love to have the choice to use /etc/init.d/samba for service control when all other services are controled from here. Why make mess?

redmk2
April 29th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I would love to have the choice to use /etc/init.d/samba for service control when all other services are controled from here. Why make mess?

This is not something new. Ubuntu has been moving away from init scripts for some time now. Upstart is replacing them. See here (http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/125977)and here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1439418).

CharlesA
April 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Kinda offtopic, but is there a list of everything that has been converted to upstart?

kamlapati
April 29th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Red. I'll resarch upstart and get used to it. I had faith that the all wise Ubuntu developers knew something that I didn't.

whyameye
May 10th, 2010, 05:04 AM
$sudo service smbd restart
returns

restart: Unknown instance:

mondo1287
May 10th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Use just restart, so

restart smbd

web032009
May 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM
sudo restart smbd

ojobson
May 15th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Not working for me?!

Just upgraded to 10.04, samba is running, but when trying the following commands I get:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
/etc/init.d/samba: command not found
service smdb restart
smdb: unrecognized service
sudo service smdb restart
smdb: unrecognized service
restart smdb
restart: Unknown job: smdb
sudo restart smdb
restart: Unknown job: smdb

I know samba is running as I can access shares from my mac using smb...
Should i reinstall samba?
Confused!!

ojobson
May 15th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Oh my god.

major balls up here. Would really help if I got the letters in the right order. I've been starring at my screen for so long that the letters all look the same.

I would really hate to be dyslexic and trying to do this.

Still can't create new shares using the GUI. For some reason if I create a share via the GUI I get 30MBps read speeds. If I define a share in smb.conf then I only get 7MBps read speeds.

CharlesA
May 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Shouldn't matter if you create the shares in a GUI or manually, as long as the parameters are the same.

What are you using the create the shares?

Morbius1
May 15th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Still can't create new shares using the GUI. For some reason if I create a share via the GUI I get 30MBps read speeds. I admit I get confused easily but ... what?

Can you or can you not create a share using "the GUI".

If I define a share in smb.conf then I only get 7MBps read speeds.Here's my guess for what it's worth. By GUI do you by any chance mean Nautilus?

Why not post the output of the following commands. It will tell us what method of samba sharing you are using:

net usershare info
sudo net usershare info
testparm -s

Nelly1
May 18th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hello,

I just found this thread. As far as I see, it is not solved!
I have about the same problem.
using ¨sudo service smbd restart" or ¨sudo restart smbd¨ I get as reaction: ¨restart: Unknown instance:¨

I asked for ¨sudo net usershare info¨. This was empty.

The strange thing is that I have used the command ¨sudo service smbd restart" several times, and it worked. I made some changes in my smb.conf file, to see if that helped with some other problem, and then, suddenly, the command ¨sudo service smbd restart" stopped to work. Replacing my smb.conf file with an older version didn´t solved the problem.

Trying to locate smbd in my computer gives no hit.
ps -ef | grep mbd
only showed the process nmbd. smbd is not running.

When I was trying this, I tried sudo start smbd, and this seemed to work.
This indicates that ¨restart¨ can only be used with a running process (in &.10 it could also be used for dormant processes)

CharlesA
May 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM
You need to use this command to restart smbd:

sudo restart smbd

lineofaborder
May 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM
My problem is i cannot restart samba due to the following error:

service smbd restart
restart: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.60" (uid=1000 pid=2344 comm="restart) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Restart" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

CharlesA
May 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM
What happens if you run this command:

sudo restart smbd

Sven6210
May 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
When entering:
sudo restart smbd

I get the result:

Sven6210
May 27th, 2010, 01:25 AM
sudo smbd restart

is doing the job for me

strangeintp
June 1st, 2010, 03:33 PM
My problem is i cannot restart samba due to the following error:

service smbd restart
restart: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.60" (uid=1000 pid=2344 comm="restart) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Restart" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

you need to run it as root/admin; i.e. "sudo service smbd restart" or "sudo restart smbd"

strangeintp
June 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
When entering:
sudo restart smbd

I get the result:

The service may be stopped or never started; you can also "sudo start smbd"