PDA

View Full Version : Python and other random topics

magmon
April 29th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Is python used actively in linux? My late father once tried to explain how it isn't quite a programming language, so I got to wondering. Is it practical?

Does anyone else like Paramore? For more than their singer =P? I've been told my taste in music is lacking.

Who all's installing lucid upon release?

cariboo
April 29th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Python is used quite a bit in Ubuntu. I would say Python code is human readable and fairly easy to learn, I'm in the process of learning it myself.

-grubby
April 29th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Is python used actively in linux? My late father once tried to explain how it isn't quite a programming language, so I got to wondering. Is it practical?

It's technically a scripting language, so it runs in an interpreter instead of being compiled. That doesn't mean it isn't practical, it's quite useful in fact. And if you uninstall Python in Ubuntu, your GUI will break.

murderslastcrow
April 29th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Eric S. Raymond himself stated that, unless you're doing very low level stuff like rendering engines and device drivers, Python is his favorite programming language for most jobs.

Python also is the main programming language with bindings for Blender's game engine, so you can program full 3d games with it if you like.

It can be used for pretty much anything, it's not exactly SLOW, since it's only a couple kb required for the interpreter (and it has automatic memory management). There are plenty of PSP homebrew written in Python, for example, so if you can run it on a PSP you can definitely run it on a computer.

Also, NASA uses Python. 'Nuff said.

As far as Lucid goes, I'm using the RC as we speak, so I'm just gonna' update to it. XD My family and friends are all going to try upgrading from a CD or the update manager, and I'll probably get a call or two from people who aren't sure how to manage that. I think one or two of them will stay with the LTS for a couple years before doing any more upgrades.

Gotta' check Paramore out since I just keep hearing about them.

Firestem4
April 29th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Python is used quite extensively within Linux. I personally don't know a whole lot about it, or its capabilities but I do know for instance that Pardus Linux has tons of programs that are written entirely in Python (using PyGTK).

Can anyone answer this question: How fast is Python execution for general tasks to computation intensive (maybe Games?)? I know with todays processor speeds interpreted languages are unnoticeably slower than compiled/low-level languages.

Gotta' check Paramore out since I just keep hearing about them.

I'm a fan of the Singer and I like quite a few Paramore songs, but I personally don't like the rest of the band. (I wouldn't call them talentless, and their pop-genre aside they are not impressive musicians by any means).

Viva
April 29th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Software center is written in python. Deluge and exaile are other famous software written python.

Dragonbite
April 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I believe Google too uses a lot of Python.

magmon
April 30th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Sounds like it would be worth my time to learn.

Best Paramore song to start with, by the way, would be misery business. One of my favorites lol.

PhoHammer
April 30th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Does anyone else like Paramore? For more than their singer =P? I've been told my taste in music is lacking.

I think anyone who says another's taste in music is lacking is a ninny. It's like saying your opinion is wrong. Or you're wrong because you like the color blue.

NightwishFan
April 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I write Python code, but I am not so great yet, no time to learn much. So I try to make practical use of it.