PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need good trackpad drivers for ubuntu/linux.

krazykuul
April 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I have searched the forum and all over the internet, but I either get no answer at all, or something too complex which I can't follow.

I have a dell mini 10v, and started out with windows xp. I upgraded to mac, but was unhappy with the small compatibility issues, so I went to ubuntu. I love the operating system, and everything works great.. except for the the trackpad. It seems to be very cheap. It is using a generic driver, so it does not function like it did back on windows with the synaptics driver, or mac with the kexts from netbookinstaller (multi-touch support worked great). I tried getting GSynaptics from package manager, but that seems to only include the same options back in the regualr mouse settings. Is there a way that I can get a good driver to support my trackpad, and disable the old cheap generic one that comes with ubuntu?

To state the problems that I have:
-It does not respond very well to tap-clicking
-The pointer moves when I try to click the integrated buttons
-It is not precise, even with sensitivity turned down, it is hard to focus on a small button.
-Multitouch doesn't work, and overall, I need more features.
-The only thing that works great is the side-scrolling. The sensitivity seems to be perfect, not too fast-not too slow

If anyone has a solution for me, please dumb it down so I can understand it. I'll admit that I am not very good at working with ubuntu's terminal or other advanced features.

krazykuul
April 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM
can someone help me out with this issue? I'm sure that I am not the only one with a bad trackpad.