PDA

View Full Version : Selling machines with Linux installed

mr-woof
April 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Theoretical question, If I were to sell a freshly built PC with a version of Linux on, the distro being the the buyers choice. But the price doesn't change if there is an operating system installed or not, there will be a set price for the PC.

Is this going against the rules if you like?

I'm thinking installing Linux would be a good feature, getting Linux out there and obviously helping to sell the machine but not profit from the operating system.

Does that make sense?

Bölvağur
April 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
yes, but it might annoy windows geeks that have no idea what is up with their hd when they are trying to install their OS of choice.

Is this going against the rules if you like?
yes it goes against THE RULES...:confused: if you define THE RULES to disallow linux preinstalled.

I've seen computers being sold on forums and ebay with ubuntu on them, so it wouldnt be the first time this have been done.

NMFTM
April 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I misread the title and thought it said "sewing machines with Linux installed" and got kind of excited, even though I don't' sew.

cascade9
April 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Easy, makes sense, and legally, not a problem (well, it might be if you used a paid-for linux OS but you werent going to do that, right? ;) )

eriktheblu
April 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
I think installing it on a computer, then selling that computer counts as redistribution

mr-woof
April 28th, 2010, 10:56 PM
So selling the pc would be ok? Confused as anything with this :)

tom66
April 28th, 2010, 10:59 PM
It's completely allowed. However, you must in no way restrict access to source code. Since you're using an out-of-the-box version of Linux then that would be no problem.

cariboo
April 28th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Personally I think you should charge for the time it takes to setup Ubuntu properly on a system. Having a static image that gets installed on all systems would be tough, unless all the systems you sell are exactly the same.

That's one of the great things about Ubuntu, it is thoroughly customizable, and it can be setup exactly the way the customer wants.

mr-woof
April 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Cool, that sounds good. It's just an idea, I've just had tonight. Whether I actually do anything with it, remains to be seen lol

Edit:

I suppose all systems could be the same, I haven't put that much thought into it just yet, I really wanted to see what the reaction would be regarding selling the machines

cascade9
April 28th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I actually install some form of linux on ever machine I build. Sometimes its just for testing, I will install windows if the owner pays me to do so, but almost every time they want to install windows themselves (mainly becuase I refuse to install the 'pirate edition' windows).

Sometimes people have been known to keep the linux I install on there..and on a few occasions I've had requests to 'put that strange OS back on', they install windows and found it was slower (suprise, suprise).

mr-woof
April 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Nice one cascade, do you install Ubuntu on each of your machines?

Brent0
April 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I don't see why that rule would be implemented. It's Open Source. :| If it bothers you, use the profit from the OS and donate it to Ubuntu. That's what I would do. :)

mihai.ile
April 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Of course you can sell an ubuntu PC...
You can even sell ubuntu if you like but it is stupid because it's available for free, your clients will find out sooner or later, but IS possible and legal.

cascade9
April 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Nice one cascade, do you install Ubuntu on each of your machines?

Not ubuntu that often normally. I have done (mainly for people I know who would find remembering how to update the system hard, the update notifier is great for them) but normally its whatever I am playing with at the time. Or whatever I think will make the owner blink, eg I tend to install KDE4 for vista fans.

Since I only build 'custom', on order boxes, and almost always for people I know, its pretty easy for me to find something that will make them at least amused or take some form of notice.

*edit- thinking about it, actually, never ubuntu. Xubuntu or Kubuntu if I do a *buntu...I just really dislike gnome. I know, its a character fault. :lolflag:

mr-woof
April 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM
lol, thanks for all the help tonight with this all. At least I know that If I do go ahead with this small idea, everyone will be ok with it :)

J V
April 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
The forenote to the GPL says you can sell them (Licenses aren't there to tell you what you can do, however much companies like microsoft would like that: They tell you what you can't, and the GPL doesn't say anything about it not being allowed to be sold)

But yes, I would charge a small fee to install machines... Also, Think about making a small python file or so that would allow the user to easily install restricted extras, 64bit flash, libcss etc)

madjr
April 29th, 2010, 12:32 AM
normal ubuntu 10.04 (looks great) with "restricted extras" package is the way to go.

some may say linuxmint, but i wouldn't use it right now till version 9 is out (which could take 2 or 3 weeks).

JimTaverna
April 29th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Theoretical answer. Rules, what rules!

Personally, I be hard pressed to find a way that you'd actually make any money off the sale under any circumstances. Not a knock on the OS, just reality.

Back in the day, I used to sell Oracle 8i on eBay. Free from Oracle. 100% profit. Made a buck or two until Meg got her panties in a bunch and shut me down, a few dozen or so times. Just as well. I was running out of screen names to use.

Knock yourself out. Anything that takes cash out of Ballmer and Gates' pockets has to be good for humanity and even better for IT.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 29th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I think installing it on a computer, then selling that computer counts as redistribution

Yes, there is a clause in the GPL license about redistribution that the op may want to read. I don't remember the specifics of that clause; however, it may be relevant.

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I don't see why that rule would be implemented. It's Open Source. :| If it bothers you, use the profit from the OS and donate it to Ubuntu. That's what I would do. :)

Definately and if you don't feel bad keep the money. Most people charge more even for open source when its taken time to set up

JimTaverna
April 29th, 2010, 02:38 AM
While it makes sense to cover your ***, this is much ado about nothing.

Build them, sell them, reap the rewards. If you do it with a clear conscience, all the better.

Far more important things to worry about than a guy trying to make a living selling linux boxes. I wish you all the best.

And if someone walks in and wants a windows crate, load it up with Microsoft Bob and tell them it's Windows 8 (version 6.2). They'll never know the difference.

Oh, and don't forget to tell them the yapping mutt on the screen is Norton 360 2012 reporting for duty.

renkinjutsu
April 29th, 2010, 03:22 AM
You have good intentions and want to spread the good word (linux). But if you're going to sell computers with linux preinstalled, be prepared to provide support for your customers. There will probably be no one else that can help them when they come to a problem.. Maybe they'll conscript help from a geeky family member or friend, and they end up installing Windows on it.. Then in their mind "linux bad - i don't know how to do anything" and "Windows good - i don't know how to do anything, but there are people that can help"

Also remember to point users to this forum!