PDA

View Full Version : Touch screen pmp

oleink
April 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hey I know a lot of touch screen devices that rival the ipod touch but they're either too expensive in comparison, don't have multitouch, are slower (not updated like 4 or 5 years old), not available in america, or from companies that make garbage software.

Does anyone know of a good company that makes touch screen devices that have wifi support (i don't care about the memory that comes with it if it has sd card support than it is fine) or of just any devices that are competitive with the ipod touch

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Actually if the cowon j3 has wifi its pretty sweet what do you think

Lightstar
April 29th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Dell is coming out with the 'streak' (I think?) which will be a touch screen media player / mobile internet device. like Archos and ipod touch. Creative is also working on the zii egg (though it will change name when it reaches consumer market).

Alot of things with newer technoloy will be coming out in summer. I think it might be best to wait until then.

I'm also waiting and searching for the right 'toy'.

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Dell is coming out with the 'streak' (I think?) which will be a touch screen media player / mobile internet device. like Archos and ipod touch. Creative is also working on the zii egg (though it will change name when it reaches consumer market).

Alot of things with newer technoloy will be coming out in summer. I think it might be best to wait until then.

I'm also waiting and searching for the right 'toy'.

The zii egg is taking way to stinking long haha. Yeah I know the dell mini 5/ streak is coming out but thatll be way too expensive $500ish. The zii will hopefully end up around half that and keep its sdhc card slots

3rdalbum
April 29th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Multitouch is patented by Apple, you're not likely to find many devices out there that do it.

You might still be able to find the X-series Walkman around. It has an OLED touchscreen, some nice visual effects, noise-cancelling earphones, wifi, Youtube, Podcasts, web browser, and is plug 'n' play drag 'n' drop on all operating systems for music, video and photos.

dE_logics
April 29th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Cowen specializes in PMPs, but you should try creative also.

Actually Cowen is on top when it comes to PMPs

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Cowen specializes in PMPs, but you should try creative also.

Actually Cowen is on top when it comes to PMPs

I like creative they just don't have anything with wifi. I like the j3 from cowon if it has wifi but creative has very few players with wifi and the ones they do are old and/or expensive. I'm thinking zune hd now cause its 100 dollars cheaper than the sony walkman x series and the ipod touch

sandyd
April 29th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I like creative they just don't have anything with wifi. I like the j3 from cowon if it has wifi but creative has very few players with wifi and the ones they do are old and/or expensive. I'm thinking zune hd now cause its 100 dollars cheaper than the sony walkman x series and the ipod touch

whatcha gunna do when it doesnt work with ubuntu? (no really, all zunes dont work)

mcoleman44
April 29th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Multitouch is patented by Apple, you're not likely to find many devices out there that do it.

The legality on that is so stupid. How can you put a patent on an algorithm! Thats like saying I have a patent on 2+2 equaling 4. I hate patents.

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
whatcha gunna do when it doesnt work with ubuntu? (no really, all zunes dont work)

I didn't know that but it should still work as an external device with drag and drop capabilities with a few settings changes??

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
The legality on that is so stupid. How can you put a patent on an algorithm! Thats like saying I have a patent on 2+2 equaling 4. I hate patents.

Besides that there are quite a few pmp's with multitouch already. Apple can't patent something they didn't create look up 10-pt multitouch. The creators of that could sue apple

sandyd
April 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I didn't know that but it should still work as an external device with drag and drop capabilities with a few settings changes??

you cant do that without some hacking. the zune, by default does not have a msc mode, which is required to do drag and drop (usb mass storage) operations.

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
you cant do that without some hacking. the zune, by default does not have a msc mode, which is required to do drag and drop (usb mass storage) operations.

well hacking is always fun but I'd rather not. I've also heard there are other ways around this but it is nothing that seems to have completely been confirmed

j.bell730
April 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Archos (http://archos.com/) has some awesome Linux compatible iPod touch alternatives. I've been very happy with my Archos 5 internet tablet (this tablet is not like the iPad, it can actually fit in your pocket).

sandyd
April 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Archos (http://archos.com/) has some awesome Linux compatible iPod touch alternatives. I've been very happy with my Archos 5 internet tablet (this tablet is not like the iPad, it can actually fit in your pocket).
get a meizu M8.

mcoleman44
April 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
get a meizu M8
Hmm... I actually like that. Kind of lame looking due to the fact that it looks like an iPhone but still attractive seeing as it runs Android.

oleink
April 30th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Archos has some awesome Linux compatible iPod touch alternatives.
get a meizu M8.

Those are both pretty expensive. I know about archos. I almost got one of their devices until I heard that they had a poor response touch screen

PS the other thing is meizu is a phone

oleink
April 30th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I like this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36054

and I'd buy this today if I could. But I wish it'd go down 50 bucks
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32827

oleink
May 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Good news on Ipad killers and ipod touch competitors:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/aigo-n700-tablet-debuts-with-nvidia-tegra-2-graphics-android-21-os/14290

http://gadgetmix.com/index/pasen-mid/

TwiceOver
May 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I know it sucks, and I have probably made statements against it in the past, but go ahead and just get an iPod Touch. Easily the best investment I have made. I don't even have any music on it. Makes a great PDA and MP3 capability is just secondary for my needs.

Bang for buck it really is worth it.

oleink
May 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I know it sucks, and I have probably made statements against it in the past, but go ahead and just get an iPod Touch. Easily the best investment I have made. I don't even have any music on it. Makes a great PDA and MP3 capability is just secondary for my needs.

Bang for buck it really is worth it.

I can't do schoolwork on it. That's one problem I have with it. Android 2.1 has openoffice support

oleink
May 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Plus besides that, bang for your buck would be more the zune than the ipod touch but that's besides the point. I want something more along the lines of a hard drive or expandable memory (sdhc slots) for videos. More like 5-7 inch tablet(so that viewing isnt bad on a 3.3 inch screen)