PDA

View Full Version : The five stages of data-loss grief

Sporkman
April 28th, 2010, 06:21 PM
The five stages of data-loss grief

What to expect when all of your photos, files and music are gone forever

By Adam Frucci
updated 8:58 a.m. ET, Wed., April 28, 2010

So your hard drive just died, and you didn't back it up. I'm so, so sorry. You can expect to go through the following five stages once you discover that all of your photos, files and music are gone forever...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36785171/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

Phrea
April 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Not sure if this is original content, I've seen this before somewhere.

Bachstelze
April 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yay, yet another "The Five Stages Of..."-article. What next? The Five Stages Of Hurd-Uselessness Grief?

Sporkman
April 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Yay, yet another "The Five Stages Of..."-article. What next? The Five Stages Of Hurd-Uselessness Grief?

1. Denial: Huh - is that project still alive? It can't be..?

2. Anger: WTF is this crap - it's been 20 years & it's still in development??!

3. Bargaining: Ok - if I just ignore it's existence in Debian OS ports, I'll be just fine.

4. Depression: This kernel is so half-baked and irrelevant, it pains me to think about it.

5. Acceptance: Ok, let me just try to boot Debian HURD in Virtualbox...

Bachstelze
April 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
1. Denial: Huh - is that project still alive? It can't be..?

2. Anger: WTF is this crap - it's been 20 years & it's still in development??!

3. Bargaining: Ok - if I just ignore it's existence in Debian OS ports, I'll be just fine.

4. Depression: This kernel is so half-baked and irrelevant, it pains me to think about it.

5. Acceptance: Ok, let me just try to boot Debian HURD in Virtualbox...

Pretty much. Though I woult put 5 into 3 and make 5 something like "Oh well whatever, if it amuses you...".

Sporkman
April 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Though I woult put 5 into 3 and make 5 something like "Oh well whatever, if it amuses you...".

Agreed, that would have worked better. :)

cariboo
April 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I always wonder why Windows users especially are so reluctant to do regular backups? Most of them think about it, and maybe actually do one, but they don't keep it up. When disaster does strike they don't blame themselves, it's always someone else's fault.

Sporkman
April 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I always wonder why Windows users especially are so reluctant to do regular backups? Most of them think about it, and maybe actually do one, but they don't keep it up. When disaster does strike they don't blame themselves, it's always someone else's fault.

I think some of people may not understand why backups are important, nor would they have other resources to backup to (like an external drive, etc), and others do know that it's important but never "get around" to actually doing it.

Plus since drive crashes are relatively rare, people can get complacent.

CharlesA
April 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Indeed. Too bad it's not just specific to Windows users.

I've lost data too, but it's mostly due to me being a moron. Like deleting something off a thumb drive and then remembering that you didn't have it anywhere else.

I am just glad that I was able to get a backup solution working at home. Desktop machines backup to the network weekly and the server rsyncs everything to external media daily.

@sporkman: Definitely. I had one external go **** up on me, after I did a complete backup to it. Thankfully I was able to get it replaced and the new drive hasn't given me any problems.

wilee-nilee
April 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Hmm, all without your contributions to Herd-Mentality.
You are the king of hindsight bias, your crown is in the mail.