PDA

View Full Version : Going smooth on jaunty for the time being...

emigrant
April 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
but im longing to shift to lucid after the release.
should i?

samalex
April 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm in the same boat. My laptop came preloaded with Jaunty and it honestly works great. My main reasons for wanting to move to Lucid are:
- Ubuntu One Music Store
- Support since Lucid is LTS and Jaunty will drop from support in October
- Faster boot times
- Slicker theme (though could probably be ported to Jaunty)
- Major app updates like OpenOffice

I'm sure I would be more than happy staying with Jaunty if I really wanted to, but after playing with Lucid in VBox for over a month now I'm really loving all the features it has. Also Support is another a key reason for me to upgrade.

So tomorrow I'll probably bite the bullet and download it. Given I have time to do a full system backup I might try a clean install this weekend sometime.

Take care -

Sam

Sporkman
April 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yes you should. Upgrade to nice stable Lucid & you can stay there for 2 years until the next LTS.

MindSz
April 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'll switch my laptop. I'll probably wait for a bit before switching my work PC

rogerpittman
April 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I switched from Jaunty to Lucid when the first Beta came out, and have been very pleased with it so far. I'd recommend going ahead with the upgrade.

LowSky
April 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM
You do know you will need to upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic, just to upgrade to Lucid? Unless of course something has changed that I'm not aware of.

sports fan Matt
April 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I think I jumped in around Alpha and will stay for 2 years. First time ever, I am going to resist upgrading.

Sporkman
April 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
You do know you will need to upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic, just to upgrade to Lucid? Unless of course something has changed that I'm not aware of.

I recommend a fresh install over serial upgrades.

Dragonbite
April 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I'm planning on upgrade, at least my laptop first to test things out before the (family) desktop.

Security and more up-to-date versions of applications are some of the big draws. The fact it is an LTS release makes it a candidate for the (family) desktop since I don't upgrade that one very often.

I've found there are usually compatibility benefits to upgrading as well. I have a Microsoft LifeCam which at first, Ubuntu could not see it, then Fedora (from the same time period) could, then the next Ubuntu could but not do some of the extra features, then Fedora could and do most of the extra features.. They each get better and better so theoretically it should be fully supported in a version or two more!