PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching Distros

FarmerDaughter
April 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm planning on going from Crunchbang 9.04 back to Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. My main concern is drivers and such. I have an Asus K40 with 4 gb ram, and Nvidia graphics cards. Last time, I had a disaster with Jaunty. The suspect is Gnome, as Crunchbang works. Is there a chance that I could have issues using the 64-bit 10.04 LTS? I need a stable system. It is going to take me a while to set up the new system so I want to make sure I'm prepared for any issues. I'm doing a clean install. I can pull up hardware types, etc, if need be later tonight. Thanks in advance!

avtolle
April 28th, 2010, 05:40 PM
It appears that you are doing a clean install, so I would recommend using the "alternate" iso, as opposed to the Desktop. I did that with the 64 bit 10.04 Beta2, after running into issues with the Desktop, nVidia card on a HP Compaq laptop, and had no problems at all. YMMV, of course.

oldfred
April 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I installed both the beta and the RC and needed a nomodeset to get it to boot. Once I got the nvidia driver installed it works fine, but I have not used it a lot as it is in my beta partition so I can test and will install the full release a few days after it comes out in another partition, keeping my Karmic as backup. If you have room just create another 10-20GB root partition and try it.

snowpine
April 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Two suggestions:

1) Extensively test a Live CD of the new release. This will allow you to identify any hardware problems before installing.

2) Assuming you have enough hard disk space, keep your nice, stable 9.04 install on a small partition. This will give you a working fallback as you are adjusting to the new release.