PDA

View Full Version : Jono Bacon: Make Ubuntu a Trending Topic (on Twitter)

MCVenom
April 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM
http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/04/28/lets-make-ubuntu-a-trending-topic/
Anyone with a twitter account should help the cause! Simply use twitter's most potent weapon; the hashtag! The more awareness we bring to #Ubuntu, the better and this is a great way to do it.
And if you don't have a Twitter account, I highly suggest you get one, it's a great way to talk to people of similar interest :D

P.S.: Protip: Whether you are tweeting, blogging, or Facebooking on launch day, please advise people to torrent it, and torrent yourself to get it! that way, people get fast downloads and the HTTP/FTP mirrors aren't swamped for those that do use them, for whatever reason. :p Also, seed plz! :D

Btw, for anyone who cares: my Twitter username is BlackOtaku.

Congratulations! As of 2:26 PM today, 'Ubuntu 10(.04)' is a trending topic on Twitter! I'd like to thank everyone that helped this happen, and also congratulate the Ubuntu community, this is undoubtedly a big day for us. :D But it's not over yet! We must keep it up and when people ask 'What is Ubuntu 10?', we must answer eagerly! But remember, Mention, don't Preach! Let's make today even bigger for Ubuntu! :popcorn:

Dragonbite
April 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
And don't forget, focus all on Ubuntu, not the derivitives, those will benefit by "pull-through" from Ubuntu.

This way it will increase the ubuntu activity while still support your favorite pet subjects (kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, etc.)

Too bad I don't use Twitter. Honestly, I'm not quite sure HOW to use Twitter yet.

asddf
April 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Done!

Come on everyone it only takes a second.

MCVenom
April 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Done!

Come on everyone it only takes a second.
Make sure you tweet tomorrow, and retweet others! :D I'd also suggest you search for things that interest you, and follow people who tweet about them -- people tend to think Twitter is solely about mundane things you're doing; it's more like a large BBS/chatroom/Facebook hybrid actually. You talk to others about shared interests and topics; and when a large portion of Twitter is tweeting about something, it becomes a Trending Topic. TTs have kinda decreased in quality over time, but they have been known to publicize things from the Firefox 3.6 launch, Iranian protests (as I'm sure you've all heard), and when AT&T blocked 4chan (internet war averted :lolflag:). It's not as egotistical as some may believe.

*musing to myself* I figure if I can sell Twitter to Ubuntu users they can sell Ubuntu to Twitter users! :p

mihai.ile
April 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I'm in!

MCVenom
April 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I added a note to the OP, but I'd like to make sure this is stressed:

The HTTP/FTP mirrors are going to be swamped on launch day; please advise others to torrent the iso, and torrent it yourself if you must download it, that way the load is reduced and HTTP/FTP downloads will at least be bearable for those who must use them. Torrents will also be considerably faster for most, at least on launch day.

asddf
April 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I'll be torrenting and twittering.

mihai.ile
April 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
It would be nice to have the torrent links visible on the download page and not hidden somewhere so that it can be used by many.

arnab_das
April 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM
its NOT trending. way too few people tweeting.

madjr
April 28th, 2010, 11:53 PM

with the amount of tech blogs spreading the news for the release of 10.04, it goes viral

happened many times already

but i expect it to happen on launch day

solitaire
April 28th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Please note we're up against a couple of million "Pre-Tweens" & "Tweens" tweeting about some kid named "beiber"!

we need to get the message out!! ^__^

JamezQ
April 29th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I put mine up, as well as bumped this topic ^ ^

MCVenom
April 29th, 2010, 01:09 AM
It's supposed to trend tomorrow. Tweet about it tomorrow. :p

EDIT: Well, you can tweet about it today, but don't expect it to trend tonight -- if it's gonna trend, it's gonna trend tomorrow when it launches.

Extra edit: All right, it may be launch day for some, but... just try to wait until the iso is *officially* released (even though it's already made it's way to the FTP pools) and the website is changed to reflect that, that's when we have the best chance. People will be talking about it, posting reviews and blog posts, and generally tweeting about it more after that.

jrusso2
April 29th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I don't use twitter and really don't get it but when Ubuntu decides to make the changes to make itself usable for regular people I will promote it.

K. Hendrik
April 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'll send some tweets with #ubuntu today too.

Ubuntu rocks :guitar:

mihai.ile
April 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Looks like Ubuntu is going to be a trending topic soon. Help it on its way! http://trendistic.com/ubuntu/gordon-...eber/_24-hours

coutts99
April 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Done, but you have no chance of Ubuntu trending.

sandyd
April 29th, 2010, 12:42 PM
were at 0.6%. comeon... we can make thos happen!!!

asddf
April 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Come on everyone

Dragonbite
April 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Hey, I know Ubuntu's being re-spun, but does that mean we should stop tweeting about Ubuntu today?

descendent87
April 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM
got a long way to go but I'll do my part by making a few tweets today

amendt
April 29th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Just looking at ubuntu versus buy at http://trendistic.com/ubuntu/buy/_24-hours "buy" is the least trending topic. It looks to me that we need 4x more people twitting about #ubuntu in order to overtake buy. #ubuntu is getting to be neck and neck with #mac

m4n3
April 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Done #ubuntu

candtalan
April 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I have just created a new twitter ac.
Total newbie twit.
How do I do the #ubuntu thing?

I am logged on and have a field asking what am I doing now

what should I do???

drreed
April 29th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Too bad I don't use Twitter. Honestly, I'm not quite sure HOW to use Twitter yet.

LOL

I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to.

Give it a year or two, when people start getting hung out to dry in a court room over a time-line or random thought that they can't deny . . .

:(

m4n3
April 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I have just created a new twitter ac.
Total newbie twit.
How do I do the #ubuntu thing?

I am logged on and have a field asking what am I doing now

what should I do???

Just include #ubuntu in your message.

Say "Waiting #ubuntu 10.04 LTS" for example.

candtalan
April 29th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks. Done
Now actually downloading!
err, I mean *torrenting* (not 'downloading')

m4tic
April 29th, 2010, 06:16 PM
what! Steve jobs is trending!

arnab_das
April 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM
ubuntu is trending!

m4tic
April 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
ubuntu is trending!

for a split second

jrothwell97
April 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Given today's news, including:

HP's acquisition of Palm
Steve Jobs's flash letter
Bigoted Woman-gate in the UK
The UK's Third Election Debate
etc. etc.

it seems that if we wanted to get Ubuntu to the top of TT, we couldn't have picked a worse time to release :P

JDShu
April 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Love it or hate it, social media including facebook and twitter is a powerful thing. I approve of this movement. I never use twitter, but I posted something for the first time since I created the account a year ago :D

mihai.ile
April 29th, 2010, 06:57 PM
We made it on twitter trends!!!

Currently #6

MCVenom
April 29th, 2010, 07:04 PM
ubuntu is trending!

for a split second

Confirmed, it's been longer than a second. :p

m4tic
April 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
we #2
it feels like new years day for some reasn

MCVenom
April 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Congratulations to the Ubuntu community, this is a big day! :D

Remember, this is not over yet! When people start asking what Ubuntu is, we should be there! Also, promote it! Tweet your favorite Ubuntu commercials and show-off videos! Let's show everyone that we're poised to take over! :D

arnab_das
May 1st, 2010, 09:39 PM
just a bit of an info here. if u click on any of the trends on the twitter webpage, you will get an info about why the word is trending. when ubuntu trended there wasnt any info! wonder why...

asddf
May 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM
The biggest question for me is.

If we do this again for 10.10 with another 6 months of Ubuntu users behind it, what will we beable to do?

Number one for twitter?
A most viewed video on youtube?

Lets keep up the recruiting and really push for it!

arnab_das
May 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
The biggest question for me is.

If we do this again for 10.10 with another 6 months of Ubuntu users behind it, what will we beable to do?

Number one for twitter?
A most viewed video on youtube?

Lets keep up the recruiting and really push for it!

with this amount of 'noise' being made on twitter for the 10.04 release i am almost certain that 10.10 will trend on twitter. but then again, i hope it trends 'ubuntu 10.10' and not ubuntu 10 as it did now, because twitter considered the '.' to be the end of the sentence.