PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Gadget Show to Review Ubuntu 10.04

asddf
April 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM
In the UK the only/largest tech show is the Gadget show.

Their email address is:

gadget.show@northonetv.com

I've emailed and asked them to review Ubuntu 10.04, if we all did the same you never know it might get a mention!

--

List of Places to Ask For Ubuntu Reviews:

Gadget Show:

Click Online:
click@bbc.co.uk

Engaged:
http://www.engadget.com/
On the right hand side click on the "tip us" link.

ZarathustraDK
April 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Gave them a quick mail too. Took like 10 seconds :)

wipeout140
April 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I have never watched "The Gadget Show" as its on five i can't get five that well. Also i normally just watch BBC Tech Program - "Click"

So is The Gadget Show actually any good as i have only seen few of their you tube videos

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I just sent them a short request too. I hope something comes out of it!

MichealH
April 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Sent one here it is:

I was wondering It being one day away if you could review Ubuntu (linux) over this series Tommorow around 3:00 It is estemates to release and then you can get it at www.ubuntu.com . Just wondering, me being a good watcher of the Gadget Show and a user of Ubuntu

Brynster
April 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I have fired them an email,

I however doubt they will review it as they are Mac fandois (and girl)

That said though they did give the Asus EEEPC 4 out of 5 stars a while back.

asddf
April 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Keep em coming!

gemmakaru
April 28th, 2010, 08:07 PM

They will say it not as good as OS X. </my prediction>

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
They will say it not as good as OS X. </my prediction>

They will not review it </my prediction>

asddf
April 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I agree they won't review it, but for the sake of an email it's worth a try.

madjr
April 29th, 2010, 12:16 AM

ubuntu looks more like mac now, so they might like it lol

send a pic or nice youtube compiz video footage see what they say

sudoer541
April 29th, 2010, 12:35 AM
uuuuuuuuummmmm... why do you people care if they review ubuntu?

asddf
April 29th, 2010, 08:32 AM
We care because it's the biggest tech show in the UK, and would get Ubuntu loads of new users.

Junosix
April 29th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I get the feeling from watching it that Microsoft and Apple probably send them quite a few bits of nice stuff for free, and they wouldn't want to rock the boat on that basis. If they did review Ubuntu, it'd probably be along the lines of "It's good, but..." and then you'd get a bunch of people who've never even used Ubuntu saying "It's bad because The Gadget Show said so."

Jon Bentley's ace on that program, though!

xir_
April 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM
can i suggest that we also do this for click online. It's by the BBC so they are required to show impartiality.

click@bbc.co.uk

asddf
April 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Done for click online too, it's worth a try at both IMO.

xir_
April 29th, 2010, 09:16 AM
i just tipped engadget too. They often mention Ubuntu but havent given a full review yet.

http://www.engadget.com/

On the right hand side click on the "tip us" link.

Paqman
April 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I doubt the Gadget Show review anything for free. It's a fun show, but it is basically just a big long ad. BBC Click would be a better bet, but they have covered Ubuntu briefly before, so might be reluctant to cover it again just for an incremental release.

Still, email sent. What harm can it do? I bigged up the Netbook Edition, as it's the main thing we've got that really differentiates us from OS X and Windows.

3rdalbum
April 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
If they are not willing to learn anything different to what they're used to, and they decide to review Ubuntu, it could be a disaster.

Don't ask them to review it, just let them do it in their own time if they want to.

xir_
April 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
If they are not willing to learn anything different to what they're used to, and they decide to review Ubuntu, it could be a disaster.

Don't ask them to review it, just let them do it in their own time if they want to.

I think they they shouldl review it even if they don't like it. Its only fair that the BBC offer impartial and balanced coverage. Besides i don't pay my TV licence for them only to talk about win and osx.

Regardless you may be right, i think that they will likely contact canonical for comments.

sqrooup
April 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Sent one here it is:
I was wondering It being one day away if you could review Ubuntu (linux) over this series Tommorow around 3:00 It is estemates to release and then you can get it at www.ubuntu.com . Just wondering, me being a good watcher of the Gadget Show and a user of Ubuntu
Where did you get the time?

amitabhishek
April 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Did my bit. Mailed to NDTV, Times of India, CNN-IBN, CNBC-TV18, UTV-Bloomberg and a few more. Hope they read feedback mails!

Paqman
April 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I think they they shouldl review it even if they don't like it. Its only fair that the BBC offer impartial and balanced coverage. Besides i don't pay my TV licence for them only to talk about win and osx.

The Gadget Show is on Five, not BBC.

SeanHodges
April 29th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Just sent an email to both Gadget Show and BBC Click. Hopefully the number of requests alone might persuade them to do at least a quick news story :)

xir_
April 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
The Gadget Show is on Five, not BBC.i was referring to click. ;)

xir_
April 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
i have forwarded this to the ubuntu-uk mailing list to help enlist people to spread the word.

It may help if we can get this out to as many locos as possible.

OP it would be good if you cool keep the top post updated with new outlets to contact that appear in this thread. Maybe organize them by region.

If people could also post the contact links in their posts this may also help people forward the material more quickly.

asddf
April 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Updated the original post.

SeanHodges
April 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Bump for America

asddf
April 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Just a bump.

3rdalbum
April 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I think they they shouldl review it even if they don't like it.

My fear is that they'll install it on some god-awful proprietary laptop such as a Sony Vaio and not be able to get wireless working on it, attempt to run all their Windows programs on it unsuccessfully, and then just proclaim that "Ubuntu is crud".

That would do a lot of harm.

Whereas if they want to actually give it a proper try and learn Ubuntu, they're more likely to give it a fair review. If they don't want to try it (and are just doing it because people have asked) then it's more likely to be an unfair review based on an hour or two of trial.

Paqman
April 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
My fear is that they'll install it on some god-awful proprietary laptop such as a Sony Vaio and not be able to get wireless working on it, attempt to run all their Windows programs on it unsuccessfully, and then just proclaim that "Ubuntu is crud".

IMO you're much less likely to get that kind of review from Click than from Gadget Show.

SeanHodges
April 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM

No publicity is bad publicity... Although I've yet to see a professional review that comes to such a negative conclusion of Ubuntu. Most of the time, "Ubuntu is crud" comments are reserved for the Testimonials section of UF :)

Whereas if they want to actually give it a proper try and learn Ubuntu, they're more likely to give it a fair review. If they don't want to try it (and are just doing it because people have asked) then it's more likely to be an unfair review based on an hour or two of trial.

The usual approach for this type of review is to obtain a demo machine from a vendor so they don't have to spend a long time setting things up. I think it's more likely they will get an "out-of-the-box" solution from Dell, System76, or even Canonical themselves. Can't say for sure though. I very much doubt the review will be a glossy exclamation of praises, but it will probably be fair and, more importantly, raise awareness about Ubuntu to more of the general public.

An example of what I mean: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/06/linux_ubuntu_blog.html

Edit: or this one, which is less praising of Ubuntu, but raises some important points and I've had people ask me about Ubuntu specifically because of it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html

xir_
April 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
here is a link to request come Ubuntu coverage on the BBC news website.

Its only fair they do seeing as they cover windows and mac.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_3990000/newsid_3993900/3993909.stm

They gave very good coverage for the karmic release lets remind them we are still here.

asddf
April 30th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Added a request to the BBC news form.

xir_
April 30th, 2010, 03:41 PM
i got a replay from the gadget show:

Hi Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to email us. We are currently looking into the possibility of reviewing Ubuntu and I have passed your suggestion on to the production team for consideration.

Best wishes,

The Gadget Show Team
www.five.tv/gadgetshow

one down

SeanHodges
April 30th, 2010, 03:45 PM

one down

I got this too, at least even if it's automated they might notice the number of emails going out!

asddf
April 30th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I got it too, it's copy and pasted to us, but not auto generated w00t.

sqrooup
April 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM

me too!

MichealH
April 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Where did you get the time?

I have lots of... Oh wait Yeah Its on around then

one down

Me too!

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to email us. We are currently looking into the possibility of reviewing Ubuntu and I have passed your suggestion on to the production team for consideration.

Best wishes,

The Gadget Show Team
www.five.tv/gadgetshow

gogadan
April 30th, 2010, 09:33 PM
i just e-mailed them now

asddf
May 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hopfully we'll hear back if they decide to do it xD

m4tic
May 2nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
i sent

A new version of popular desktop linux distribution has been released a few days back(29/04/2010). I have been using it since 2008 while i was doing my final year of high school when it was introduced by the local department of education. I found it productive and easy to get by, before it i thought my hardware needed upgrading but ubuntu was so fast i could compete with a high end machine running Windows XP or Vista. Today speed and usability, productivity and speed has changed for the better and i haven't looked back. I visited the high school earlier this year to find out how Linux has affected their teaching and it seems it has improved. Costs have gone down, since the OS+programs are free, they're saving more bandwidth and there's no need for hardware upgrades since they run fast.

I am currently doing my second year of Mechanical Engineering, i found a lot of free and alternatives to the CAD programs they use here from within ubuntu, it only took less than 10 clicks to install what i needed without launching a web browser. It's a fantastic system grouping all programs for ubuntu in one library compared to how Windows work, where you have to scan websites then download, click click, accept then restart. In ubuntu the only time i had to restart was when updating my video card and i haven't shut down my computer in over 60 days now(i've just check the uptime) and speed hasn't changed.

I am no computer expert, just a regular user from MS Windows and it really is that easy, most of my friends now use it, not because i forced them to try it, but because they saw me use it and because they never heard me speak about money. It's a shame so many haven't gotten the chance to discover ubuntu or any other Linux variants, it would be tragic to think of the many people struggling of poverty and disease and i'm paying for OS updates, it shouldn't be that way.

The ubuntu community is a big place and if you have internet connection you can find them at www.ubuntuforums.org , i promise you'll never find less than 8 thousand people willing to help there. There's also phone support from my fellow South African, Mark Shuttleworth's company Canonical Ltd, which is also the main sponsor of the Ubuntu Foundation. So why not give it a try, if you like it share it, that won't hurt anyone.

darrenp
May 3rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
All presenters are on Twitter, along with the gadget show account:

http://twitter.com/TheGadgetShow
http://twitter.com/jonbentley90
http://twitter.com/OrtisDeley
http://twitter.com/JasonBradbury
http://twitter.com/suziperry

:)

xir_
May 3rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
jono has kindly tweeted this thread to help coverage. Hopefully we can get a few extra people involved.

m4tic
May 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Why does engadget ignore us?

xir_
May 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Why does engadget ignore us?

well they did do a release announcement. But it was a fairly poor attempt. With Engadget it really depends on the editor as the the level they understand linux.

If we had called it ubuntu ipad edition we would have gotten a lot more coverage, its very sad but Engadget really is loosing its impartiality lately.

jetsam
May 3rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
If we had called it ubuntu ipad edition...

...and a hush fell over the crowd...

...and there was a momentary lag felt at launchpad.

:popcorn:

m4tic
May 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
well they did do a release announcement. But it was a fairly poor attempt. With Engadget it really depends on the editor as the the level they understand linux.

If we had called it ubuntu ipad edition we would have gotten a lot more coverage, its very sad but Engadget really is loosing its impartiality lately.

The things they review, ugh

xir_
May 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
The things they review, ugh

Still they are extremely good at the aggregation of tech news. They probably have one of the most tech educated consumer bases on the web. (outside linux thats is).

We should keep the pressure up on them (politely of course), to give lucid a full review. Maybe we will get lucky and get a open editor.

DrKenobi
May 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Done! A little help from Argentina!
If they review it, I will download the show!

gogadan
May 4th, 2010, 03:22 PM
just got a reply from the gadget show it says

"Hi Daniel,

Best wishes,

The Gadget Show Team"

fingers crossed

ukripper
May 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM
In the UK the only/largest tech show is the Gadget show.

Their email address is:

I've emailed and asked them to review Ubuntu 10.04, if we all did the same you never know it might get a mention!

--

It seems to me Gadget Show UK are sponsored by Apple. Other day they were comparing ipad to a netbook and gave it 4 star and HP netbook 2, when they could have compared it with MSI's upcoming tablet which is lot better than ipad 10 times - http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/msis-10-inch-tablet-launching-this-year-at-500-patently-ignor/ lol.. They make laff mate. How the hell they compare ipad to a netbook. I don't trust them a bit. I bet they will not pay any attention to your email.

m4tic
May 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
i've just recieved this email from them

Hi (my name), Thanks for taking the time to email
us. We are currently looking into the possibility of
reviewing Ubuntu and I have passed your
suggestion on to the production team for
consideration. Best wishes, The Gadget Show
Team www.five.tv/gadgetshow

m4tic
May 4th, 2010, 06:26 PM
just got a reply from the gadget show it says

"Hi Daniel,

Best wishes,

The Gadget Show Team"

fingers crossed

since we got the same email, i cant help but wonder if we were texting with a bot

Old Marcus
May 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Probably just wrote the first email, then copy/pasted the response for all other emails of the same subject. Why reinvent the wheel? I'm exactly the same with eBay feedback. :P

Half-Left
May 4th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I never watch that show now because it's just got stupid. Have you seen the prizes they give away for the competition? Who in their right mind would want all of that stuff? Common sense went out the window when they thought of that.

The Gadget Show not reviewing Linux, LOL, What kind of tech show wouldn't? A biased one, like they're.

gogadan
May 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
since we got the same email, i cant help but wonder if we were texting with a bot

i wouldnt be suprised

mkendall
May 5th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Probably just wrote the first email, then copy/pasted the response for all other emails of the same subject. Why reinvent the wheel? I'm exactly the same with eBay feedback. :P

Great post. Will definitely read more posts by Old Marcus. AAAAA++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

asddf
May 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I never watch that show now because it's just got stupid. Have you seen the prizes they give away for the competition? Who in their right mind would want all of that stuff? Common sense went out the window when they thought of that.

The Gadget Show not reviewing Linux, LOL, What kind of tech show wouldn't? A biased one, like they're.

It's worth a try........that's the point.

Bodsda
May 5th, 2010, 01:54 PM
ubuntu looks more like mac now, so they might like it lol

send a pic or nice youtube compiz video footage see what they say

It is sad to see that people feel the need to resort to Compiz to 'sell' Ubuntu.

Has anyone thought of asking them to cover 'Linux' as opposed to Ubuntu... What do we care if its Suse or Ubuntu?

Bodsda

asddf
May 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Ubuntu 10.04, is the best distro for most users IMO.

spoons
May 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
It is sad to see that people feel the need to resort to Compiz to 'sell' Ubuntu.

Has anyone thought of asking them to cover 'Linux' as opposed to Ubuntu... What do we care if its Suse or Ubuntu?

Bodsda

It is indeed sad that people try to "sell" Ubuntu in such a way, while complaining about the tactics Microsoft use to push their products.

I think it would be better to focus on Ubuntu, it's arguably the most widely used distro and it's good to keep consistency - I think the general public would be quite confused if the gadget show sees "SuSe", "Ubuntu", "Debian" etc.

xir_
May 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Bodsda

I think that seeing as this is an ubuntu forum its quite reasonable to ask them to cover ubuntu.

asddf
May 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I think that seeing as this is an ubuntu forum its quite reasonable to ask them to cover ubuntu.

plus it's the best xD

Old Marcus
May 11th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Great post. Will definitely read more posts by Old Marcus. AAAAA++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Touché.