PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop/Notebook Recommendations?

mark2741
April 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Back around version 5.10/6.04 of Ubuntu I had just sold my Mac Mini and was anticipating buying an iMac that following month when the new ones were eventually announced. In the meantime, I installed Ubuntu on my older Windows PC and fell in love with it. Ran it as my main OS for about a year, and then decided to buy a new PC and put Ubuntu on it.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu wouldn't run on it. I didn't realize it before buying it - I just assumed it would run. But Ubuntu wasn't, and *still isn't* compatible with it. Regardless, as much as I like Windows 7, I'd like to give Ubuntu another go. I am moving soon and want to ditch my desktop and go laptop/notebook full-time as my main machine.

I'm looking in the $500 to $800 price range. I'd like a Core i3 (or higher) based laptop, 2GB RAM, and one that is a general desktop replacement. A decent graphics card (for a laptop) would be nice, as I do a lot of web development and the occasional game. I'll also be running Windows 7 or XP in a virtual machine from time to time, as there are some Adobe apps I have no choice but to use for work.

So what's the recommendations on laptops for Ubuntu these days? I want to ask now as to avoid any hardware/wireless/whatever conflicts.

One last thing: as much as I'd like to have a Macbook Pro, due to Apple's politics/business model I refuse to ever buy an Apple product again. So that isn't an option : )

SnickerSnack
April 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Lenovo Thinkpads are very good, though I've heard (but not experienced) that their customer service is not very good. There is a very good website devoted to thinkpads and getting linux to run on them: thinkwiki.org

I've also heard that toshibas do not suffer from compatibility issues.