PDA

View Full Version : There is a PS3 emulator???

arnab_das
April 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Came across this site: http://ps3emulator.net/

Its a PS3 emulator. It has a Linux version as well. Just stunned at how developers managed to create such a thing. so freakin awesome!

Chrysantine
April 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I have some "Genuine moon rock" for sale, would you like to buy some too?

Seriously, don't believe everything you read on the net.

tuddy666
April 28th, 2010, 03:44 PM
If that is real, then I'm the queen of England.

AllRadioisDead
April 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I really hope you're kidding.

arnab_das
April 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM
dunno folks. found this site a few days back. been wondering if its a real one. take a look at the screenshots. if this indeed is true, its a huuuuge thing.

98cwitr
April 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
If that is real, then I'm the queen of England.

[EnglishAccent] Why?! Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllooooooooo tha'ah, would you like a crumpet and some tea, my dear Queen? [/Accent]

Chrysantine
April 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
It has one screenshot of a text editor :-)

Do you want me to show you how I'm running X360, PS3 and every OS at the same time on my machine? No problem, I tell ya.

98cwitr
April 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
It has one screenshot of a text editor :-)

Do you want me to show you how I'm running X360, PS3 and every OS at the same time on my machine? No problem, I tell ya.

yes

Chrysantine
April 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Only after you buy some of my moon rock!

Maheriano
April 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Dolphin is an emulator for some of the newer systems but I don't think it does Playstation 3.

kostkon
April 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hmmmm, fake...

forrestcupp
April 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if someone is developing a PS3 emulator. They may actually be able to emulate it, but our computers won't be powerful enough to run any games at more than 1fps.

Even the games in the Gamecube emulators aren't playable. Dreamcast is the latest system that I've seen a playable emu for.

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 05:51 PM
The PS3 itself hasn't even been hacked yet! It is impossible to reverse-engineer something you do not fully understand yet, so there will be no PS3 emulators for the foreseeable future.

arnab_das
April 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
but why would someone register a domain and create such a fuss? after all, there's no adverts on the site, the guy surely isnt gonna get any profits out of it. (if u havent seen the first post, its www.ps3emulator.net)

Chrysantine
April 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Previously the site was peddling roms, now they've had the same text and images for 3 years. Totally utterly fake.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ps3emulator.net

LowSky
April 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
The PS3 itself hasn't even been hacked yet! It is impossible to reverse-engineer something you do not fully understand yet, so there will be no PS3 emulators for the foreseeable future.

Actually it has been hacked
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/23/ps3-finally-properly-hacked/

The biggest issue though is the Blu-Ray player. Games and movies rely on Sony's updates. If an emulator did happen my guess is that Sony would start "bricking" serial numbers that repeat.

And getting a PS3 Emulator to work would be a real challenge, as the PS3 uses PowerPC technology and not x86, which means the instruction sets are incompatible. Getting them to communicate would mean a very very very VERY fast PC.

Penguin Guy
April 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM
No.

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM

The biggest issue though is the Blu-Ray player. Games and movies rely on Sony's updates. If an emulator did happen my guess is that Sony would start "bricking" serial numbers that repeat.

And getting a PS3 Emulator to work would be a real challenge, as the PS3 uses PowerPC technology and not x86, which means the instruction sets are incompatible. Getting them to communicate would mean a very very very VERY fast PC.
Ok, let me change my statement: Until all parts of the system files he has dumped are understood, there will be no emulator. Besides, IIRC, he still lacks some important decryption keys.

Chronon
April 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM

The biggest issue though is the Blu-Ray player. Games and movies rely on Sony's updates. If an emulator did happen my guess is that Sony would start "bricking" serial numbers that repeat.In principle it's not a problem. You may just be expected to dump the firmware from your legally owned PS3 in order to use the emulator (just like some other emulators).

I don't see the problem here. The whole point of an emulator is to represent a particular collection of hardware. If the hardware has the same architecture as your present machine then you don't need to emulate in the first place. You can just pass instructions directly to the processor. It is the very purpose of an emulator to represent different architectures from what your machine uses natively.

Sugz
April 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM
We would need a SuperComputer to emulate a PS3,
I think is it the host system must be at least 5-7x more powerful that the emulated system in order to run, I may be wrong, But I have heard something like that before.

ssj6akshat
April 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Form That Site

At this point there are no downloads available - but as soon as we have any news about freeware Sony PS3 Emulators we will post it here and you will be able to download the psp emu from our website.

Lucretius
April 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
considering the length of time it has taken to develop a functioning PS2 emulator (PCSX2), I don't believe this for a moment.

Also consider that current PC's have only recently developed the power to play PS2 games on the aforementioned emulator smoothly.

trig
April 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I never got into the PS3, we got a xbox and havent used it that much since the hdmi port went out on it.

skymera
April 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
[EnglishAccent] Why?! Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllooooooooo tha'ah, would you like a crumpet and some tea, my dear Queen? [/Accent]

I don't know anyone who has eaten a crumpet in years.

Enough of your stereotypical nonsense.

Throne777
April 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I don't know anyone who has eaten a crumpet in years.

Enough of your stereotypical nonsense.

Tea, however... I have about 6 different types of Twining's tea in my cupboard XD

Us students have our priorities, you know.

forrestcupp
April 30th, 2010, 12:53 PM
but why would someone register a domain and create such a fuss? after all, there's no adverts on the site, the guy surely isnt gonna get any profits out of it. (if u havent seen the first post, its www.ps3emulator.net)I finally actually read the website. Just like ssj6akshat said, they don't have any downloads, and they aren't even working on an emulator. It looks like it's just a page set up so that if anyone ever actually develops one, this site will provide a download link. What's for sure is that this site doesn't have anything to do with the developing of a PS3 emulator.

In principle it's not a problem. You may just be expected to dump the firmware from your legally owned PS3 in order to use the emulator (just like some other emulators).Exactly. You don't have to reverse engineer every part of a game console to create an emulator. All you have to do is write a program that can use the firmware dumps and translate the inputs and outputs into a nice UI. That's why emulators don't work without the firmware ROM file, and it's illegal to include that file.

I don't see the problem here. The whole point of an emulator is to represent a particular collection of hardware. If the hardware has the same architecture as your present machine then you don't need to emulate in the first place. You can just pass instructions directly to the processor. It is the very purpose of an emulator to represent different architectures from what your machine uses natively.Right again. I have a feeling that a lot of people don't understand what emulators are. An emulator takes your computer and makes it act like it's a completely different type of hardware.