PDA

View Full Version : How stable is Lucid now?

Laxman_prodigy
April 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hi.

One day to go for me here in Nepal.

How is Lucid as of now?

I am running up-to-date Karmic 64 bit.

Kind of sceptic so...asked here.:)

blueturtl
April 28th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I haven't had a single crash, and I've been on Lucid since the Alpha stage.

If you want to know about potential bugs with your specific hardware, you're going to need to post some specs.

98cwitr
April 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
i had plymouth errors the first few days of beta...but all in all no crashes...just annoying problems.

antenna
April 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Have been running it for a few weeks and it has been completely solid for me.

conradin
April 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I haven't had a single crash, and I've been on Lucid since the Alpha stage.

If you want to know about potential bugs with your specific hardware, you're going to need to post some specs.

You've been Phenomenally lucky then

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hi.

One day to go for me here in Nepal.

How is Lucid as of now?

I am running up-to-date Karmic 64 bit.

Kind of sceptic so...asked here.:)

It is very stable, and since the archives are officially frozen, it won't get more stable than it is now until after it's released.

You've been Phenomenally lucky then
Please submit bug reports to Launchpad if you've encountered any issues. If you don't, the problems will probably never be solved.

whiskeylover
April 28th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I've had a few issues. But nothing major. Just small things like conky showing an ugly border, docky dying at startup and screenlets refusing to go away even after deleting them on EVERY startup.

Other than that, I'm good. I do plan on doing a fresh install tomorrow, though.

proxess
April 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
W00t it has problems?!

davrosuk
April 28th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Been completely stable for me - not a single crash. Using it on two machines (one an HP laptop, one is my HTPC). Both have been installed at Alpha stage. Plymouth had some glitches to begin with (as did a few other packages, but very minor) but it seems pretty much perfect now. Both machines use nVidia graphics and I've stuck with the nouveau driver.

alexfish
April 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Got some minor issues after upgrading / mainly third party software but no doubt there will be fixes in the pipe line

apps are responsive and snappy nearly catching up to puppy linux (in ram) , the browser is whoosh compared to 9.10

can wait for final release / but will be downloading for a fresh install

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Got some minor issues after upgrading / mainly third party software but no doubt there will be fixes in the pipe line

apps are responsive and snappy nearly catching up to puppy linux (in ram) , the browser is whoosh compared to 9.10

can wait for final release / but will be downloading for a fresh install

What's currently the daily ISO (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/) is pretty much the final, so download it now and give the servers an easier time tomorrow ;)

jkxx
April 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Completely stable (since beta 1?) even with Nvidia's crappy proprietary driver which used to always reboot my PC within minutes.

The main issues are that plymouth doesn't work if you have an Nvidia card+Nvidia drivers and that Xorg has problems even with said drivers so it'll crash if you run some 3D games and your video playback will be sluggish from the start. Hopes for that getting fixed ASAP though the OS itself is stable and I haven't seen a single kernel panic yet.

TheNessus
April 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
ן never got to install Lucid, it always froze on boot (the live cd) or the splash screen froze after installation. But upgrading from Karmic worked beautifully.

Seriously now, why the hell won't the live CD or installation work? never happened to me on any other distro or previous release. For shame.

legolas_w
April 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Does it work fine with Mesa DRI mobile Intel GM45 VGA card?

My laptop has switchable graphic which let me switch to ATI 3470 HD. I was not able to use the ATI card in 9.10 as the driver was not installing properly.

I heard that an open source driver for ATI will be installed by default, Can we run games on this open source driver?

Thanks.

WinterRain
April 28th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Have been running it for a few weeks and it has been completely solid for me.

This.

barney385
April 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I just installed and updated today. Clean install from 8.04LTS.
It loads 10 times faster. Firefox is twice as fast now. My graphics are noticeably improved.

Looking really good.

:smile:

Excedio
April 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I just installed and updated today. Clean install from 8.04LTS.
It loads 10 times faster. Firefox is twice as fast now. My graphics are noticeably improved.

Looking really good.

:smile:

Two years between upgrades.. Must be like a whole new world. :-)

alexfish
April 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM
What's currently the daily ISO is pretty much the final, so download it now and give the servers an easier time tomorrow ;)

Would love to but I am Mobile at present and used most of fair use policy :cry:

over cooked it last month upgrading and updating :lolflag:

so I will lay off and let new users have the privilege / rather have a Party:guitar:

Thanks

alexfish

dFlyer
April 28th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I have a Dell 1735 Studio. I'm currently running the rc with dell overlay. It's solid for me. Only problem I had was the overlay for dell doesn't instruct you to reboot after it install the recovery system.

Gary

tjeremiah
April 28th, 2010, 09:13 PM
No problems on Latop but netbook, there are some like the battery app not working well and Ubuntu wanting to shutdown because my netbook is somehow hotter than my kitchen oven.

-jay-
April 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
netbooks very stable

desktops not stable at refuses to resume keyboard & mouse have no power after suspend