PDA

View Full Version : Creating basic commands PDF, Help Apreciated.

Drenriza
April 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM
As the title says, im creating a basic command PDF. And if anyone is intersted helping me i would not say no.

It's written in english, but my gramma is not the best(enough to get around). And their is sure to be typoes.

What im looking for, is a few people who would help me correct some gramma and typoes. And once in a while (every 10, 20 pages or something) read the PDF and give their opinion.

#This makes no SENCE, REDO.
#This is good.
#Maybe you should add this ..............something...............

So in the end, people can read & understand it.

The PDF is for new users to ubuntu. To tell them breifly what is ubuntu, how to get help. And then lerning some commands. Maybe some can use it as a glossary.

In the end i expect it to be about 50 pages.

Thanks on advance.
Kind regards

user1397
April 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
As the title says, im creating a basic command PDF. And if anyone is intersted helping me i would not say no.

It's written in english, but my gramma is not the best(enough to get around). And their is sure to be typoes.

What im looking for, is a few people who would help me correct some gramma and typoes. And once in a while (every 10, 20 pages or something) read the PDF and give their opinion.

#This makes no SENCE, REDO.
#This is good.
#Maybe you should add this ..............something...............

So in the end, people can read & understand it.

The PDF is for new users to ubuntu. To tell them breifly what is ubuntu, how to get help. And then lerning some commands. Maybe some can use it as a glossary.

In the end i expect it to be about 50 pages.

Thanks on advance.
Kind regardsI'd help to proofread.

bryncoles
April 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I'm interested in helping (though my grammar isn't the best in the world either).

Drenriza
April 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
ubuntuman001 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=76290)
bryncoles

Thanks. Once ive written enough and looked it through for the first glance.
Can i then just pm you guys?

ibuclaw
April 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Interesting idea, but just how do you expect to stand out from the rest of the competition and documentation?

ie: See the Ubuntu Pocket Reference (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065), a link in a sticky on our Beginners forum.

Regards

Drenriza
April 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I have downloaded the pocket guide on my pc some time ago (i have not read it, just skipped through it fast). And what it has in common with (another guide, which post is no longer here) is that it is very extensive. You get alot of information about alot of driffent things. And they focus alot on the GUI.

I would like to make a PDF which focus 90% of the time on the CLI commands. How they work, how to use, and what can you do with them. These commands can be used on a server enviroment and a desktop enviroment.

I have seen alot of guides, and web pages and so on, about CLI commands. But nothing cohesive. It's just abit here and a bit their and it just doesnt work for me.

So now i would like to try and make a PDF that can help new users with basic commands from A - Z. See how that goes, and if people like it i would make a

complex guide.
And if that goes well, an Expert guide.

Lets see.

bryncoles
April 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
A very good question Ibuclaw. I like your answer too, Drenriza. A command line cheat-sheet of the basics could be quite useful.

As soon as you've got something worth looking at, PM it to me, and I'll give it a once-over (for whatever that'll be worth).

user1397
April 30th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Yea a PM's fine.

Drenriza
May 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM
So been working on this a little while now.

But i would like to ask, the forum.

In a basic user pdf on the CLI-commands. What commands would you like to see in that?

So far i got
Help commands.
Path, list directory content & file struckture commands.
Create directory & files commands.
Install & uninstall commands.
extract & create tarballs commands.
Kill commands.

Going to add.
Repair filesystem commands.
Mount commands.

It's not that i don't know what to type. I would just like to hear others opinions as well.

So far it's 13 pages long.

Also, i got a question about pdf making. In my adobe acrobat 9 pro extended. I see a feature where i can add multimedia(video tool). Does anyone know if it is possible to add a video in 3min to 10mins lenght. I would use this to create some demonstrations on specific commands. Or to (for another pdf) edit configuration files.

Also if this is possible, would anyone have any interest in contributing to this?

So thanks on advance.
Kind Regards

shank21101985
September 7th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Hi did u finish that pdf... i am in real need of it :)