PDA

View Full Version : Difference between minimal ISO and command line install from alternate CD?

user1397
April 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
is there one?

Bachstelze
April 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
The Minimal ISO will download all packages from the net instead of getting them from the CD. Besides that, no difference, you can even use the Minimal ISO to install a desktop system.

user1397
April 30th, 2010, 09:07 AM
The Minimal ISO will download all packages from the net instead of getting them from the CD. Besides that, no difference, you can even use the Minimal ISO to install a desktop system.thanks for clarifying.

Paqman
April 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
you can even use the Minimal ISO to install a desktop system.

And another important point, any desktop system. The one image can be used to install Gnome/KDE/XFCE/LXDE/Mythbuntu, etc, etc.

I'm pimping my minimal install script at the mo. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Bachstelze
April 30th, 2010, 09:18 AM
And another important point, any desktop system. The one image can be used to install Gnome/KDE/XFCE/LXDE/Mythbuntu, etc, etc.

I obviously meant "a desktop system" as in "a standard Ubuntu desktop system, like you can install with the Alternate or Desktop CD." You can obviously use any CD to install any desktop...

user1397
April 30th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I'm pimping my minimal install script at the mo. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Looking quite good paqman. You think you could add an openbox option? (I know that fairly complicates things as there is no openbox package like gnome-core or kde-core, but you know, I'd dig it :)

Paqman
April 30th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Looking quite good paqman. You think you could add an openbox option? (I know that fairly complicates things as there is no openbox package like gnome-core or kde-core, but you know, I'd dig it :)

Tbh, I don't know too much about setting up Openbox, but if you can let me know what packages would be required I can look at including it.

user1397
April 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Tbh, I don't know too much about setting up Openbox, but if you can let me know what packages would be required I can look at including it.
Hmm that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I'll definitely let you know if I get around to it.