PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FIle association on LXDE

musex
April 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone!:)
I'm new to the ubuntu world so I need your help...
I've recently installed LXDE on ubuntu cause I needed a faster gui for my computer and gnome was too slow.By the way, ubuntu is running on a 2400+sempron with 512MB ram.Now it seems that LXDE is working fine,it's very fast,but since I installed it I noticed that it had a few problems with the file association.I mean every time I try to open a file I'm being asked what program I want to use.Is there any way to keep the same file association I have on gnome also on LXDE?
Thank you and sorry for my english:P

kerry_s
April 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
right click it-> properties

musex
April 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I don't have that option in the properties...

musex
April 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
wait...I've got a different version of pcmanfm,you've got the 0.9.4,where did you find it?I couldn't find it on the official website...

kerry_s
April 28th, 2010, 12:01 PM
it's not executable file is it?

where did you find it?

add the lubuntu ppa:
ppa:lubuntu-desktop/ppa

provides lxde things.

musex
April 28th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Ok i've just added that line to the software sources...but synaptic packet manager doesn't find the new version of pcman...:confused:

musex
April 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM
No it's not executable files,just any other kind,.pdf odt. etc...

kerry_s
April 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Ok i've just added that line to the software sources...but synaptic packet manager doesn't find the new version of pcman...:confused:

did you reload?

No it's not executable files,just any other kind,.pdf odt. etc...

are the files on a linux system?
check under permissions just in case, make sure it's not checked.

musex
April 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I opened synaptic package manager,I clicked refresh and then I searched for pcmanfm
but the version I find it's still the same that I installed.
Yes the files are on ubuntu,but I got the permissions,in fact I can still open them but every time I have to select the program.

kerry_s
April 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I opened synaptic package manager,I clicked refresh and then I searched for pcmanfm
but the version I find it's still the same that I installed.
Yes the files are on ubuntu,but I got the permissions,in fact I can still open them but every time I have to select the program.

it's right there in your screenshot "pcmanfm2" just above the old 1.

musex
April 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Ok thanks, I just thought that it wasn't the correct package because it has another name and the version it's the 0.7.0...
thank you

musex
April 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I've just installed the 2nd pcmanfm, but it seems that lxde still relies on the old one,maybe there is something I need to configure before.However when I try to run it from the terminal,typing pcmanfm2, it opens a windows with the new file manager.I think that the new version I've just installed it's not the default one.How can I make the version the default?

musex
April 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I think I'll simply switch to thunar,let's see how it works...

kerry_s
April 28th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I think I'll simply switch to thunar,let's see how it works...

:lolflag: thunar+xfdesktop4 is a great combo in lxde, i was using that last week, i'm currently just using nautilus, cause i wanted to try the new features.

which *buntu version are you using by the way?

i'm using lubuntu lucid.

musex
April 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I'm using standard Ubuntu,I tried thunar and it seems to be working pretty well,it's way faster than nautilus...:guitar: