PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 32bit or 64bit?

iggy pop
April 28th, 2010, 07:43 AM
This may seem like a silly question but here goes. I have a 5 year desktop with 1.5GB RAM and the following specifications. AMD Athlon D400 Single Channel 64bit. Would it be advisable to install the latest version of Ubuntu "Lucid Lynx" 64bit on this pc? Just want to get everything right. Thanks for any and all advice.

beta.tester
April 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
This may seem like a silly question but here goes. I have a 5 year desktop with 1.5GB RAM and the following specifications. AMD Athlon D400 Single Channel 64bit. Would it be advisable to install the latest version of Ubuntu "Lucid Lynx" 64bit on this pc? Just want to get everything right. Thanks for any and all advice.

Hi Iggy

I see no reason not to use the 64 bit version. I also use it here :)

It is certainly "faster", in the earlier days there were certain setbacks like all the packages I would like would not so easy to install and use as say a native 32 bit as all the code was in 32 bit "format". Thankfully things have changed and I use native 64 bit here (with some 32 bit libraries integrated/amalgamated) to make sure 64 bit users have a great experience.

Keep on Ubuntuing and kind regards john

iggy pop
April 28th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Hello John

Perhaps i am being a little over cautious but whislt wanting to give the 64bit version of 'Lucid Lynx' a try i would want everything to work straight out of the box so-to-speak and not have to go around the Ubuntu forums seeking help in order to get the likes of my CD's Video, and even Skype to function.

Thanks for the reply though and as the official release date is the 29th i have until tomorrow to make up my mind with loads of help from all my Ubuntu friends of course!

I shall of course keep on Ubuntuing. After all where would Linux be without Ubuntu?

Regards iggy

jalmargyyk
April 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
The biggest issue with 64-bit for me has been Juniper's ssl vpn. There are workarounds to this (use 32-bit java), but rather inconvenient. None of the workarounds have worked after my company enabled host checker on ssl.

Other than that I've no complaints about the 64-bit.

grege
April 28th, 2010, 11:09 AM
After years of using 64bit I have reverted to 32bit. The main reason was that I purchased a Canon MP640 Multifunction. Yes you can force the canon supplied Linux drivers to install on a 64bit system, but it is a kludge.

Flash might be an issue. Karmic used 32bit flash and a wrapper, I am not sure if Lucid still does this. It does mean manually getting the 64bit flash alpha from Adobe and manually installing it or putting up with this workaround.

With 1.5gb ram there is not much to be gained going 64bit

With a bit of work you can have a solid 64bit system with 64bit flash and 64bit java, especially if you have an HP printer/scanner.

My two cents worth.

ps
Never heard of an Athlon D400

max-power2717
April 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I shall of course keep on Ubuntuing. After all where would Linux be without Ubuntu?

Regards iggy

Sorry, this is off the topic for the thread, but I must raise an arm and extend a handshake for that statement!

I can say for one, linux would likely be without me, if it weren't for Ubuntu. It was definitely the distribution that gave me the confidence to turn my back on Windows altogether.

Thanks to any and all people who contribute to Ubuntu!

beta.tester
April 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hello John

Perhaps i am being a little over cautious but whislt wanting to give the 64bit version of 'Lucid Lynx' a try i would want everything to work straight out of the box so-to-speak and not have to go around the Ubuntu forums seeking help in order to get the likes of my CD's Video, and even Skype to function.

Thanks for the reply though and as the official release date is the 29th i have until tomorrow to make up my mind with loads of help from all my Ubuntu friends of course!

Regards iggy

Hi Iggy

Well it most certainly should do (tommorrow is THE day :).

It all works out the box here, but I had to install the Nvidia drivers (from the hardware selection)

Also the "Restricted Ubuntu" option in software control sorted all my other problems out :)

To answer the others in here, Ubuntu was about my 7th variety and I was well and truly hooked :)

Keep on Ubunuting and enjoy free softwareand this great community :)) john

kat3c
April 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Are you REALLY Iggy Pop?

iggy pop
April 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
No i am most definitely not the original Iggy Pop. Although i am from the era that the original Iggy Pop became well known to the general public.

I would without hesitation immediately stop using the username Iggy Pop if i thought it caused any offence.

WinterRain
April 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
No i am most definitely not the original Iggy Pop. Although i am from the era that the original Iggy Pop became well known to the general public.

I would without hesitation immediately stop using the username Iggy Pop if i thought it caused any offence.

Your name is fine.

I use 64bit without any issues. But you really should have 2gb RAM or more to get the full benefit of 64bit. The 64bit flash plugin works great for me if you decide to go that route.

achron
April 28th, 2010, 08:43 PM
AMD Phenom II X4 p40 and 8 GB RAM and 64-bit flies.

Occasionally I might bump into some software or driver where I can't find a 64-bit variant, but that's fine by me. Hasn't stopped anything I absolutely have to have.

Just saw WinterRain's link about flash, and that might fix up the last of it for me.