PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freedoom

Soul Circuit
April 28th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Wanting some good old fashioned shooting I downloaded the Freedoom and installed it with the Ubuntu software center. The game starts up. I tried starting a new game. When I select the difficulty level the game just disappears and the system monitor indicates the game isn't running. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and if there is an easy way to fix this.

EDIT: Sorry for placing this in the wrong forum by the way.

EDIT2: I'm an idiot. The description says it is a WAD file compatibility thingy. It's not the game itself.

HPD2
April 28th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Try launching it from the terminal.

freedoomThen post the output here. That would be a good start.

conradin
April 28th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah,.. (streches brain to remember) I think there were 2 versions last I checked, Freedoom and Free DM one of which gave me periodic errors. Heck, i feel like blasting some monsters too. Ill see If I can crash this game.

Soul Circuit
April 28th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Try launching it from the terminal.

freedoomThen post the output here. That would be a good start.
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. Was I supposed to just type freedoom or was I supposed to add an additional command before hand? I typed freedoom into the terminal and it said command not found.

Soul Circuit
April 28th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Yeah,.. (streches brain to remember) I think there were 2 versions last I checked, Freedoom and Free DM one of which gave me periodic errors. Heck, i feel like blasting some monsters too. Ill see If I can crash this game.
I just tried FreeDM and it did the same thing.

conradin
April 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Free DM is an expansion for Freedoom. The one I had been playing was prboom which is from what I can see, the exact same thing as freedoom except it runs on my computer and does crash randomly.

you might have a look at the freedoom website.
http://www.nongnu.org/freedoom/
they admit freedom is currently a beta quality software.

you can post your terminal output here for around when freedoom crashes.

Chronon
April 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. Was I supposed to just type freedoom or was I supposed to add an additional command before hand? I typed freedoom into the terminal and it said command not found.

FreeDoom is just an IWAD. You still need a game engine (like PrBoom) to play it.