PDA

View Full Version : YUM (The Fedora package manager) is annoying?

OpenSourceRules
April 28th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I used Fedora way, way back, but YUM is pretty annoying.
If you try to install all the YUM upgrades, YUM may break down.
If you do not install the upgrades, YUM is pretty slow.:icon_frown:

RiceMonster
April 28th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I think yum is fantastic. It's nice and clean, and I don't find it to be any slower or faster than apt. Never had a problem with it.

swoll1980
April 28th, 2010, 06:23 AM
From my experiences, Yum is horribly slow, and breaks often.

del_diablo
April 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
From my experience yum is something that works............. partially.
The real problem is that the deamon must have a lock which means that refreshing up the repos can only be done when only 1 client is doing it at the time. The problem with this is due several badly written programs who needs to have a lock before starting, which is the opposite of example: Synapitc, where the lock is done on attemting to upgrade.
Yum real problem is that the manual is poorly written, and the apps using it.
Yum is slow................

ssj6akshat
April 28th, 2010, 07:54 AM
YUM should be renamed YUK

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I didn't used to think YUM was that bad, but recently I tried Fedora 13 and updating took forever with YUM. Maybe it'll get better when it's actually released.

SmittyJensen
April 28th, 2010, 08:57 AM
i never really liked yum tbh. its much better than something like equo/entropy/whatever they call it (sabayons binary package manager) though. can you imagine waiting 2-3 hours to update your system from a fresh install?

gnomeuser
April 28th, 2010, 09:40 AM
YUM is actually one of the few things I really miss from Fedora. The command line tools are so well designed and easy to use compared to apt-get.

antenna
April 28th, 2010, 09:52 AM
YUM is actually one of the few things I really miss from Fedora. The command line tools are so well designed and easy to use compared to apt-get.

This is true. The syntax is better, more consistent and not distributed rather randomly between aptitude/apt etc. Packaging is also simpler, but that's another issue I guess.

szymon_g
April 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM
This is true. The syntax is better, more consistent and not distributed rather randomly between aptitude/apt etc. Packaging is also simpler, but that's another issue I guess.

its hard to disagree with you, but, imho, opensuse's zypper is much better than yum- its faster, offers more functionality, its more reliable (you can, for example, install new version of python without getting problems from package-manager).

antenna
April 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
its hard to disagree with you, but, imho, opensuse's zypper is much better than yum- its faster, offers more functionality, its more reliable (you can, for example, install new version of python without getting problems from package-manager).

I have never really used opensuse, heard zypper is decent though. Yum can be a bit slow, that's definitely a fair criticism. Still, better than it used to be.