PDA

View Full Version : Excited about lucid

sxmaxchine
April 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM
i am very excited about lucid coming out tomorrow.

Are you exited and how do you plan to download it, i plan to start the normal (not bit torrent)download before i go to school and have it completed for when i get home.

KrisWillis
April 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm always excited for a new release, though I have been running a version of Lucid since the alphas on one of my machines. I think I'll go ahead and upgrade my Karmic machines this evening to avoid the rush tomorrow - I can't imagine there'd be that much difference between todays daily and tomorrows release...

3rdalbum
April 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
It's hard to get excited about something that you've had for months :-) And it's especially unexciting that I've got no more excuses not to upgrade my home server.

I'm more excited by the new Ubuntu merchandise actually!

What IS exciting is the beginnings of development for Maverick; I'm looking forward to seeing what amazing features they're coming up with, and then put the alphas onto my netbook :-)

ibuclaw
April 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Moved to Cafe.

I'm excited at my first maintained package hitting the repositories, and those who will use it may benefit.

I'm not looking forward to the bugs that follow. ;)

sxmaxchine
April 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Moved to Cafe.

I'm excited at my first maintained package hitting the repositories, and those who will use it may benefit.

I'm not looking forward to the bugs that follow. ;)

what package is going to be repositories i will download and try it out.

Queue29
April 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm switching to Windows 7 as soon as support for 9.10 ends. Or maybe Fedora 13. We'll see.

I tried both betas and the RC for 10.04, and I am less than impressed.

sxmaxchine
April 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Sad to see you stop using ubuntu do you plan to try 10.10 when it is released

ibuclaw
April 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM
what package is going to be repositories i will download and try it out.

The GNU D Compiler (apt:gdc).

And unless you know how to write programs in it, I doubt you can just "try it out". ;)

sxmaxchine
April 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
haha i don't know how to program in D

tuddy666
April 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm relatively excited, despite having the beta on my netbook for the past... month or so. It also gives me an excuse to buy a few CD-R discs and burn the 10.04 ISOs to them. Oh yeah, and the Ubuntu Manual (http://ubuntu-manual.org/) will be released at midday tomorrow, too! I'm gonna have to download that, as well :D

hursto75
April 28th, 2010, 03:29 PM
One thing it was missing was DVD playback, why don't they just put that in from the start? I know "copyright" but really it is just an apt-get away. I have 2 steps for DVD playback on 10.04 (http://crackednoodle.com/2010/04/dvd-playback-for-ubuntu-10-04/)

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

That easy.

NMFTM
April 28th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I was consitering skipping school tomorrow incase it came out before I got home. But, I'm probably going to end up going.

tuddy666
April 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I was consitering skipping school tomorrow incase it came out before I got home. But, I'm probably going to end up going.

If you're like me, and you're in a computing class with a particularly decent teacher, you'll be able to download it in class :P

Samzon
April 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, good that Ubuntu keeps on performing well. I'm quite excited to see how stable this will be.. :)

sxmaxchine
April 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM

I was thinking the same but i have to go because it is my mates birthday and i have a double IPT lesson, shame i cant download on those computers without getting my account blocked.

kavon89
April 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM
i plan to start the normal (not bit torrent)download before i go to school and have it completed for when i get home.

It'd be better if you used BitTorrent. You'll help take strain off of the regular mirrors and speed up the downloads for everyone else at the same time as you'll be seeding during and once the download is complete while you're away.

nmccrina
April 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Where's the "not downloading it but excited anyway" option, you insensitive clod!

Actually, I may end up downloading it and dual booting.

gnupipe
April 28th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I voted "very excited".

gnomeuser
April 28th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I've been using it since day one basically, I'm excited because it's good but really I am waiting for the Maverick repos to open.

Johnsie
April 28th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I was excited that social networking was coming to Ubuntu because I thought it would save me time visiting websites. I really don't see that 'Gwibber' (surely someone could've come up with a better name than that) has alot of functionality but I haven't had alot of time to play around with it.

I like the new panels. I think they look pretty good

I have also fount Lucid to be quite fast.

Firefox looks really ugly though... I think some serious work definitely needs to be put into improving the look and feel of Firefox on Ubuntu because it is shockingly poor in its default state. Yes, Firefox can be themed, but it can also be made to look good out of the box. Nowadays users spend more time in the browser than any other application, so you need to at least make it look good.

Instant messaging isn't that impressive either. Empathy is far too plain and the don't have the multimedia capabilities and interface that people expect today from a modern operating system. If you compare this to the default IM in other operating systems then you'll see that the Interface is desperately lacking. IMO the interface in MSN is much better looking and user friendly than it is in Empathy.

So yeah, a few good things and a few mainly graphical things that I think need worked on a little more.

PS. Having the window close icon on the left hand site is really annoying... I'm right handed and have been going to the right for years. I don't see why all of a sudden we're expected to change. It's now very easy to hit the X button by accident instead of the File menu.

cespinal
April 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM
not really excited and not downloading. I will just wait for others to encounter the issues and report them for me...then, maybe I a few weeks I will give it a try. Im thinking about swtching from 32 to 64bit Kubuntu. But at the time, I am keeping my system to busy with homework just to spend a whole weekend backing up>installing>solving issues>customizing.

Maybe... I will just backup and upgrade to keep my system as is.

98cwitr
April 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
im excited for the dang problems Im having with RC to get corrected :)

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
im excited for the dang problems Im having with RC to get corrected :)

Have you reported them?

CharlesA
April 28th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I am excited to see how well it'll run on my server, especually since I've got all my backups done and should be good to go to download Lucid via bittorrent and install.

Only hitch is that I don't know when there will be a virtualbox repo for Lucid.

the.dark.lord
April 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
How much longer do we have to wait? :)

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
How much longer do we have to wait? :)
The answer is:

What's currently the daily ISO (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily/current/) is pretty much the final, so you can download it now and give the servers an easier time tomorrow ;)

98cwitr
April 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Have you reported them?

the crashes at first had already been reported (plymouth), the sbackup problem, menu items missing, changing screensaver having to take a reboot to change (which now seemingly got fixed as of two days ago)...etc etc, no, I havent reported those yet because I want to see if the full release will take care of it, if not then I will report it.