PDA

View Full Version : Using Aptana Studio or Ext Designer for WYSIWYG

dannymichel
April 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Is anyone using Aptana Studio or Ext Designer for WYSIWYG?
apparently, that's not what aptana studio was meant for, but i must be missing something, because there is nothing i can do on dreamweaver that i can't do on aptana studio. i'm hearing ext designer supposed to be 'more like dreamweaver'
Any thoughts?

MasterNetra
April 28th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Is anyone using Aptana Studio or Ext Designer for WYSIWYG?
apparently, that's not what aptana studio was meant for, but i must be missing something, because there is nothing i can do on dreamweaver that i can't do on aptana studio. i'm hearing ext designer supposed to be 'more like dreamweaver'
Any thoughts?

I never have heard of Ext Deisgner and aptana isn't in repo and I'm spoiled by repos and .debs. So dunno, what's Ext's homepage? I'm trying to find a good enough Dreamweaver replacement myself.

dannymichel
April 28th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I never have heard of Ext Deisgner and aptana isn't in repo and I'm spoiled by repos and .debs. So dunno, what's Ext's homepage? I'm trying to find a good enough Dreamweaver replacement myself.I guess it's new (http://www.extjs.com/signup/aptana.php?s2gs)

MasterNetra
April 28th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I guess it's new (http://www.extjs.com/signup/aptana.php?s2gs)

Guess I'll try it, btw the main thing Dreamweaver spoiled me on was easy creation of CSS and such plus the whole click insert and choose the css element. Does Aptana do that?

MasterNetra
April 28th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Also going to be a bit delayed, accidentally downloaded the 64bit x.x

dannymichel
April 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Guess I'll try it, btw the main thing Dreamweaver spoiled me on was easy creation of CSS and such plus the whole click insert and choose the css element. Does Aptana do that?
yep, pretty much

Also going to be a bit delayed, accidentally downloaded the 64bit x.xapparently, it's not free.

MasterNetra
April 28th, 2010, 04:24 AM
yep, pretty much
apparently, it's not free.

Apparently not. Its certainly interesting though.

dannymichel
April 28th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Apparently not. Its certainly interesting though.
i thought so. weird no one i talk to seems to have heard of it

MasterNetra
April 28th, 2010, 04:31 AM
i thought so. weird no one i talk to seems to have heard of it

Well I suppose if you don't go out and make it known, people won't know.
And this seems to be meant as a companion software to Aptana so I guess one is expected to use both Ext and Aptana. Ext for general site design and appearance and Aptana...for coding and fixing whatever code crapping ext inadvertently spits out?

Oh well I'll try out Aptana...cause come to think about It I don't think I really used the WYSIWYG part of dreamweaver other then as a quick preview, I would CSS box the site inside a wrapper and workout the dimensions and placement in my head off a calculator. The design tap worked for me as a crude preview.

You should see my final project from ITT-Tech though as a site not finished I got the design well layed out. All was really missing was well thought content. I went a bit excessive with the CSS boxes but it turned out beautifully and looks identical pretty much on all the major browsers (IE, Firefox, safari, opera, even tested seamonkey for the heck of it.)

Dragonbite
April 28th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I don't remember Aptana doing WYSIWYG.

I didn't give Aptana enough time to really try it out, I moved to NetBeans for my current project. Maybe I'll try Aptana again afterward, but otherwise NetBeans is working out alright for me at this point.

I think it was last month I took some classes on CSS and Javascripting and those used MS Expression and Dreamweaver. At work I end up using Visual Studio. Since then I've been wanting a good designer for Linux (best if it handles the HTML/CSS, Javascript and PHP (plus database? would be awesome)!) I even daydream of staring a project to do this.

Otherwise, the only WYSIWYG that I've found are Kompozer and Quanta Plus. Both are in the repositories, but Quanta Plus is a KDE-based app (doesn't mean you can't run it in Gnome/Xfce, just means it's going to pull in a lot of libraries).

EDIT: The Ext looks pretty cool. Looks promising, something to watch out for. Are the downloads trial versions, or open source variety?