PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Froze Mid-Installation - Unresolvable Errors

wiseguy12851
April 28th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I was installing several software on a fresh copy of Ubuntu, Ubuntu locked up and froze completely processor and hardware doing nothing. Mouse moved but responded in no way with any clicks. I waited 30 minutes and finally forced the computer off and back on, everything started normally with no errors. After starting synaptic package manager - as expected - it reported corrupt installation so I used the script it gave me to configure and repair, So far simple.

Now the problem lies in several packages which will not repair, remove, clean remove, or re-install. The same errors, over and over. I do not know how to fix Linux Errors and have little experience with Linux in general. I'm a software engineer who grew up with Windows and trying to transition to the world of Linux.

The exact error message differs by package, I don't know how to pull up all the packages but this is the one that applies to libboost-system when I try to re-install it

libboost-filesystem1.38.0: subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 2

Any ideas on how to clean these errors up.

mockingbird
April 28th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Try the 600mb alternate install ISO.

tommcd
January 6th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Now the problem lies in several packages which will not repair, remove, clean remove, or re-install. The same errors, over and over. ...
Open a terminal and run:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

And post the output here in CODE tags (click the # icon at the top of the window when you post back) so it is easier to read.
FYI: If you have added any third party repos to your sources.list (this includes those all too often problematic PPA repos) then this would be a very good time to remove them.