PDA

View Full Version : The Android freight train is picking up momemtum...

blur xc
April 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM
http://lifehacker.com/5525578/android-phones-surpass-iphone-in-web-traffic

Interesting stuff, especially considering this is pre-Incredible...

While no one phone has been, or probably will be a true iPhone killer, I think it's safe to say that Android is an iPhone killer. You can't bet against the numbers. Right now the iPhone is outnumbered something like 32:1, in makes and models, not to mention the variety of carriers carrying Android.

BM

kavon89
April 28th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Good. Apple's nastiness with their developers and Adobe drove me to get a Droid. I'd rather not spend a lot of time making a good app and have it sit in limbo for months only to be rejected for something ridiculous.

GMU_DodgyHodgy
April 28th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Dell is coming out with a real sexy new Android phone with a 4.1 inch screen.

It's called the Thunder.

http://www.techtremor.com/wp-content/uploads/thunder.jpg

blur xc
April 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I think Dell's coming out with a few Android phones.....

uummm.....

yup- the Flash, Thunder, and Smoke - http://gizmodo.com/5521609/dells-next-android-phones-flash-thunder-and-smoke

Not my cup of tea - I prefer industrial looking designs (Incredible), but very nice nonetheless...

BM

aysiu
April 28th, 2010, 12:29 AM
While no one phone has been, or probably will be a true iPhone killer, I think it's safe to say that Android is an iPhone killer. I think it's safe to say there's no such thing as an "iPhone killer."

Android will certainly take marketshare away from the iPhone, but it isn't enough to have better or more features than the iPhone. The Apple brand is strong, and no matter what there will be people who go with the Apple option, especially when it comes to mobile devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad), as opposed to computers (Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini).

There's no way my wife is getting an Android phone. She is in love with the iPhone.

Many people will be drawn to the openness or the features/specs of Android phones, but some people will just prefer the iPhone interface and the way Apple approaches usability.

Much as I love my Android phone, there are so many little things in the interface that are annoying, and it's clear to me that Google doesn't do enough usability testing. (For example, if I am on a screen in which there is only an input text box and on a phone with no physical keyboard, why doesn't the on-screen keyboard come up by itself? Why do I have to tap into the field to get it to appear?)

blur xc
April 28th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I think it's safe to say there's no such thing as an "iPhone killer."

Android will certainly take marketshare away from the iPhone, but it isn't enough to have better or more features than the iPhone. The Apple brand is strong, and no matter what there will be people who go with the Apple option, especially when it comes to mobile devices (iPod, iPhone, iPad), as opposed to computers (Macbook, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini).

There's no way my wife is getting an Android phone. She is in love with the iPhone.

Many people will be drawn to the openness or the features/specs of Android phones, but some people will just prefer the iPhone interface and the way Apple approaches usability.

Much as I love my Android phone, there are so many little things in the interface that are annoying, and it's clear to me that Google doesn't do enough usability testing. (For example, if I am on a screen in which there is only an input text box and on a phone with no physical keyboard, why doesn't the on-screen keyboard come up by itself? Why do I have to tap into the field to get it to appear?)

That depends on what your definition of "is" is... And when I say iPhone killer, I don't mean it will drive it out of existence, but just surpass it by a huge margin in market share.

The iPhone will continue to exist, but just won't be the baddest kid in class anymore...

BM

aysiu
April 28th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Yeah, we have a definition discrepancy, then. No worries.

andras artois
April 28th, 2010, 01:22 AM
http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2010/03/htc-evo-4g.jpg

<3 I want one so bad.

rfruth
April 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
HTC Incredible here I come !

chucky chuckaluck
April 28th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Why do I have to tap into the field to get it to appear?)

I like that, myself. I'd hate it if it just showed up unwanted.

madjr
April 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I think it's safe to say there's no such thing as an "iPhone killer."

actually is more because apple had a few years head start into this new multitouch market.

Apple also has hordes of izombies that love shiny

right now the market is consolidating (like the vehicle market), but outside US android phones are VERY HARD to find

in Japan you still cant find android phones... 1 from sony may come this summer...

In LatinAmerica either, but the iphone have been available for over 2 years!

Apple still has the monopoly

i did show my wife the latest android phones and she totally forgot about the "iHuH" (her words xD)

your wife is probably a little geeky, cause mine doesnt care about brand as long as is pretty and turns on

about the usability thingie, maybe you should report the papercut :p

Lupi
April 28th, 2010, 03:47 AM
http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2010/03/htc-evo-4g.jpg

<3 I want one so bad.

HTC Evo *sigh*. The first 4G phone out there, 1 Ghz CPU, 4.3-inch 480x800 TFT LCD with capacitive multi-touch screen, 8 Megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with dual LED flash, 1.3 Megapixel front-facing camera, 1 GB ROM, 576 MB RAM... I so wish I had one of those. Unfortunately, I've heard rumors stating that it's gonna be something like $800.

madjr
April 28th, 2010, 07:03 AM
HTC Evo *sigh*. The first 4G phone out there, 1 Ghz CPU, 4.3-inch 480x800 TFT LCD with capacitive multi-touch screen, 8 Megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with dual LED flash, 1.3 Megapixel front-facing camera, 1 GB ROM, 576 MB RAM... I so wish I had one of those. Unfortunately, I've heard rumors stating that it's gonna be something like $800.

most probably not lol

by the time is out it shouldnt be more than 600, and with a contract should go down to maybe 300

by the end of the year should be lots cheaper.

living on the edge is expensive and people will buy it no matter what

any how there will b enough android phones for all budgets

gnomeuser
April 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I currently own a Nokia N900 but the HTC EVO 4G sure looks sweet.

Provided the upgrades for it are timely and over the air unlike those for my HTC Hero which required a Windows only program and an obscure, hard to obtain, Android USB driver I might trade up.

I am though burned by my Hero experience and as such I fear they won't actually update the device in any significant way. The Hero was their top model at the time and so far updates to a more modern Android version have been promised and not delivered for 5 months. They have finally issued a date "sometime in June" but I'll see it when I believe it.

Hence I am not really willing to spend yet another ton of money on a phone and no be sure it will be maintained. This is why of the Android phones right now, the Nexus One looks the best to me. Second to that the Droid since it has a hardware keyboard, my fingers jut weren't meant to type on a screen.

andras artois
April 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
By the time my current contract has finished the Evo 4G will probably be relatively affordable on contract.

Also if we're talking about Android picking up then we can't forget about all the Android tablets that are going to come out over the next couple of years :)

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Notion-Ink-Adam-Tablet.jpg

<3

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
By the time my current contract has finished the Evo 4G will probably be relatively affordable on contract.

Also if we're talking about Android picking up then we can't forget about all the Android tablets that are going to come out over the next couple of years :)
[SNIP}

I have more faith in Chrome OS or Ubuntu as a tablet platform that Android. It's too limited, just like the iPhone OS on the iPad.

blur xc
April 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I have more faith in Chrome OS or Ubuntu as a tablet platform that Android. It's too limited, just like the iPhone OS on the iPad.

Why? Android is a real multi tasking operating system designed from the ground up around touch input. IMO, chrome or ubuntu on a tablet won't (maybe) be any better than all the previous touch screen devices that have come and failed running Windows, because they all were designed around keybaord/mouse input, and just hacked to use touch input.

BM

andras artois
April 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Exactly and it's considerably more lightweight than a full operating system which is ideal for ARM tablets. They'll be a whole bunch of Android programs purely aimed at Tablets as well like touch friendly, lightweight word processors.

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Why? Android is a real multi tasking operating system designed from the ground up around touch input. IMO, chrome or ubuntu on a tablet won't (maybe) be any better than all the previous touch screen devices that have come and failed running Windows, because they all were designed around keybaord/mouse input, and just hacked to use touch input.

BM

Maybe so, I just feel that Android is more suitable for smaller devices. Maybe they'll manage to convince me otherwise :D

loell
April 28th, 2010, 06:08 PM
And don't forget that Nokia is also fighting back to retain their huge market share with Symbian^3 & meego, with Qt all over it! :D

gnomeuser
April 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Maybe so, I just feel that Android is more suitable for smaller devices. Maybe they'll manage to convince me otherwise :D

If you are purely interested in the size of the device, here's a a 55" Android powered TV (http://www.peopleoflava.com/) and it seems like a very good fit for such devices as well.

Android is very flexible, there isn't a good reason why one couldn't replace the UI just like HTC does with Sense for something that is better suited at larger devices such as a tablet.

Now I personally think that MeeGo might be an interesting choice for the tablet market, it has a lot of really great functionality built in that would make the iPad die of jealousy such as the new Tracker and the web miners. One could really construct an interesting and compelling interface on that base.

just one little example of what tracker and the web miners can do (http://vimeo.com/11270890).

andras artois
April 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Google's also working on Google TV which is also going to use Android as a base and Tv's are generally pretty big :)

Lupi
April 29th, 2010, 04:34 AM
most probably not lol

by the time is out it shouldnt be more than 600, and with a contract should go down to maybe 300

by the end of the year should be lots cheaper.

living on the edge is expensive and people will buy it no matter what

any how there will b enough android phones for all budgets

It's not desirable to get a contract because they usually force you to get a certain minimum plan if you want the rebate. For instance, Rogers (Canada) requires a minimum $55/month (plus tax, plus other fees) to get the Xperia X10 at $149 instead of $549.

Prices will surely go down, but not as fast as I want unless you get a contract, which is not worthy at all in the long run.