PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] To upgrade, or to install new

Enlil
April 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I've realized that a new version of Ubuntu is coming out this Friday I believe? Anyways, being someone who is new to the Ubuntu scene I was hoping to get some opinions from people out there.
My main question is, what is the overall better choice when moving to the latest version? I know that back in Windows, when upgrading instead of doing a clean install, Windows was always slower for some reason. So does Ubuntu experience similar problems if I just went down the upgrade route? Are there other issues that might come across from an Upgrade?
Also, is it recommended that once a new version comes out, that you get that version? Is it as stable as say, 9.10 which is the current release right on launch day? Or is it recommended to wait a while and let bugs be patched before getting the latest release? And if I should wait, how do I stop Ubuntu from automatically upgrading to the latest release, or does it even do that?

I realize this may be a lot of questions, but I'm just trying to get some feedback so I can make a good decision about what I should do.

Stavro
April 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Please don't do anything without a full backup first! From my experience, it is best not to upgrade immediately after a release whilst problems are still being ironed out. Ultimately, a full install is always the best.

Enlil
April 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.

As far as backing up, there really isn't much I need to backup other than a couple music folders, video folders, and some giant 10+ gig files of online games. I know I can't fit that on cds, what would be the best way of going about this? I do have another Ubuntu pc on my network, and a Windows pc. Though I'm not sure at all, how or if it's possible to transfer files between them through Linux.

WinterRain
April 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
what would be the best way of going about this?

External hard drive.

I also recommend doing a fresh install.

paulgault
April 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
how or if it's possible to transfer files between them through Linux.

if you right click on a folder in ubuntu (say your music folder) you can select sharing options and set it to be shared over the local network. give it a share name ("music" would be fine).

this will let you see the files from another machine on the network where you can copy them across

if you want to send files back the other way there is a tick box (or check box) to allow the folder to be written to from the second machine.

tick the guest access box and it won't prompt you from machine2 for a login/password.

i think the first time you use it it will prompt you to install the necessary mojo (samba).

once the share is set up you can use your file browser in the second machine (windows or linux will be fine (and probably mac as well)), find the bit that lets you browse the network, the machine with the share on should show as it's host name, and all the shared folders should be in there.

mrreality13
April 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
i would do a fresh install of the LTS-I was runing ubuntu 7.04 since its start and over time from going up grade route small issues when i upgraded to 9.10 started popping up.but over the years i only saw a slight very slight boot time increase.
the new ubuntu boots crazy fast:guitar:
ps:i used ext 4 1st time with it(hope it is as stable as ext3 was)

snowpine
April 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Keep an eye on this page: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
Currently it is how to upgrade to 9.10, but soon it will be updated to the 10.04 instructions. Upgrading is easy, safe, and 100% officially supported!

I agree that a backup is always good to have, regardless of whether you're upgrading or not. :)