PDA

View Full Version : [kde] shift key in kde or twm non-working in application

linbo
April 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
[ORIGINAL POST]
I'm using vpnc with vncviewer (the 'tight' package) to work from home. Work is usually Fedora OS and home is, of course, Ubuntu.

Software that I run to do my work is 2D graphics Cadence Virtuoso for IC layout design.
Cadence uses a lot of keyboard bindings, many are combos like mouse button 1 plus shift key.

The shift key modifier has no effect. Ctrl key and Alt key modifiers work fine. My keyboard is ok and I can type caps when I need to. A co-worker, also with a similar setup has no problems.

I started out with TWM and have also tried KDE. Neither will get the shift key working. I can't remap the keys.. too many and too crazy making to try to switch mentally between home style and work style.

Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know how to unmap the Shift key within TWM or KDE, or map the Shift key to do what the application wants?

Thanks!

[SOLUTION]
After much frustration the above mentioned co-worked compared my Gnome home desktop environment with his. There is a setting,
System->Preferences->Visual Effects
that defaults to "Normal".
Once I checked the "None" setting my Shift, Alt, etc. keys all started working again. This may be responsible for other folks keyboard woes.