PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No updates from Update Manager for the last week

SA@
April 27th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hi All, My Ubuntu 9.10's update-manager has not shown any updates since I last updated on April 17th. I looked at the security updates released since 4/17 and I do not have the related packages installed (as far as I can tell).

Is this normal? I usually get some packages to be updated every week.

I also ran apt-get update;apt-get upgrade which did not show any packages to be updated.

I have also tried changing package sources in "System|Administration|Software Sources"/"Download From"

Thanks in advance
SA@

zvacet
April 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Updates doesn't come in some regular time frame,but as far I can remember there was updates few days ago.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

tommcd
April 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Is this normal? I usually get some packages to be updated every week.
I have been using (and abusing!!) Ubuntu since the first release (Ubuntu 4.10). The usual pattern is that there are a lot of frequent updates after a new version is released. The updates then gradually diminish in frequency as the next version of Ubuntu looms on the horizon. (In this case Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is only 1 day away).

I also ran apt-get update;apt-get upgrade which did not show any packages to be updated.

I always use:

sudo apt-get update

There are occasional cases where a new package needs to be installed, or an old package has it's name changed or whatever. In these cases, "apt-get upgrade" will hold back these packages; but "apt-get dist-upgrade" will upgrade those packages.
Note that using the Ubuntu GUI update manager is simply a GUI front end to running
"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".
If "apt-get dist-upgrade" still show no updates, then I would be satisfied with that.

SA@
April 28th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks much! I will try the dist-upgrade method

I have been using (and abusing!!) Ubuntu since the first release (Ubuntu 4.10). The usual pattern is that there are a lot of frequent updates after a new version is released. The updates then gradually diminish in frequency as the next version of Ubuntu looms on the horizon. (In this case Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is only 1 day away).

I always use:

sudo apt-get update
There are occasional cases where a new package needs to be installed, or an old package has it's name changed or whatever. In these cases, "apt-get upgrade" will hold back these packages; but "apt-get dist-upgrade" will upgrade those packages.
Note that using the Ubuntu GUI update manager is simply a GUI front end to running
"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".
If "apt-get dist-upgrade" still show no updates, then I would be satisfied with that.