PDA

View Full Version : [java] Swing Alternatives

KdotJ
April 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Due to my growing dislike of swing, and the old windows 95 look, I've been wondering. What's some good alternatves to using swing? I see java-gnome is an option for Gtk+ does anyone have much experience in this? Is it good? Easy to pick up?

Also, is Qt supported by java? I've read about Qt Jambi, but then I read that nokia are dropping support for it? is this the only way to use Qt in java?
I'd like to use Qt, as I'm sure it will be an advantage to me if and when I move to C++.

Any help greatly appreciated

Reiger
April 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
The old Windows 95 look? That is rectified quite easily by specifying a look and feel; might have to bundle it with your application, though. (Try GTK or Substance.) But if you don't want Swing you could use SWT instead; you get the an application that looks similar to Eclipse.

mmix
April 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtjambi/files/

KdotJ
April 28th, 2010, 12:31 AM
The old Windows 95 look? That is rectified quite easily by specifying a look and feel; might have to bundle it with your application, though. (Try GTK or Substance.) But if you don't want Swing you could use SWT instead; you get the an application that looks similar to Eclipse.

Thanks for the replies guys,
with regards to the look and feel, I've been having problems with this. They don't seem to show up properly. Maybe it's something to do with using the openJDK? I'll have to look up about bundling it, that may solve it