PDA

View Full Version : Who should not use Ubuntu?? !!

Amna
April 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
It's a weird Question but somebody asked us this Question

What do u think? who should not use Ubuntu?

hawaiian1der
April 27th, 2010, 04:09 PM
No one should not use Ubuntu, it makes computing simpler. Of course complete newbies will have to get the hang of it, but after that it's all uphill.

98cwitr
April 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM
1. morons and the computer illiterate that HAVE to have Internet Explorer and Outlook Express b/c they can't/won't learn any other applications. My gf is not computer illiterate, but doesn't really know anything about them. She just does webmail, facebook, online shopping etc...other than iTunes, Ubuntu fully suites her needs, is easy for her to use, and really keeps her operating more efficiently (Ubuntu is faster than windows for her old laptop) and keeps her virus-free. I might buy her a Mac for x-mas, but for now she's golden (minus iTunes).

2. Hardcore gamers

3. Windows System Administrators attempting to manage Windows/AD

4. People that require iTunes (see first point)

Thats about all I can think of.

clhsharky
April 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM
HI

People not willing to change, or wanting to learn something new.

Sharky

Zintha
April 27th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I'm pretty serious on the gaming side and i've still duel booted :D
I think the only people who I would tell them to NOT use Ubuntu at all are people who just would not learn or want to learn.

98cwitr
April 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I did dual boot for a while...but it was pointless for my needs, Im Windows Free @ home now :) W00t

lisati
April 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Moved to "Community Cafe" (not a support question)

jrusso2
April 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM
People who are not technical in nature or don't want to learn new things.

RiceMonster
April 27th, 2010, 11:25 PM

this.

MasterNetra
April 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
People who love viruses, trojans, and other kinds of malware & spyware.

NMFTM
April 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
What do u think? who should not use Ubuntu?
Someone who's afraid to use the command line and edit text files.

tica vun
People who need to run a stable server in a production environment.

swoll1980

My girlfriend has used Ubuntu for 3 years. She's not technica, and knows nothing about a cli. She doesn't get viruses. Why is this bad for her?

aysiu
April 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
All of these people should not use Ubuntu: People who either prefer or have to use for work Windows-only programs that do not run well in Wine. People who actually prefer another operating system to Ubuntu (whether that is Windows, Mac OS X, or some other Linux or BSD). People who have hardware that is Linux-unfriendly. People who have used Ubuntu for years but have decided it doesn't suit their needs or function properly. People who don't have a computer.

thiemster
April 27th, 2010, 11:37 PM
How about an obvious one: people who require specific windows and/or mac applications for their jobs that will not work well under WINE. A good example of this is the most recent versions of autocad (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=86).

If someone does not need a windows/mac only application, I don't see why they shouldn't switch to at least one type of linux.

MasterNetra
April 27th, 2010, 11:39 PM
All of these people should not use Ubuntu: People who either prefer or have to use for work Windows-only programs that do not run well in Wine. People who actually prefer another operating system to Ubuntu (whether that is Windows, Mac OS X, or some other Linux or BSD). People who have hardware that is Linux-unfriendly. People who have used Ubuntu for years but have decided it doesn't suit their needs or function properly. People who don't have a computer.

Or crazy Ubuntu Forum staff who are bent on taking over the world. :p

How about an obvious one: people who require specific windows and/or mac applications for their jobs that will not work well under WINE. A good example of this is the most recent versions of autocad (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=86).

If someone does not need a windows/mac only application, I don't see why they shouldn't switch to at least one type of linux.

aysiu already mention that. See Post 14 - List #1.

Simian Man
April 27th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Linux != Ubuntu. There are tons of free operating systems that are just as good.

My girlfriend has used Ubuntu for 3 years. She's not technica, and knows nothing about a cli. She doesn't get viruses. Why is this bad for her?

And you've never helped her with it or set up anything for her?

lisati
April 27th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Or crazy Ubuntu Forum staff who are bent on taking over the world. :p

Darn! My secret is out!

Now where did I put that coffee?

NMFTM
April 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I don't see how you can use Linux and not need to at least occasionally use the CLI. But I guess people like that do exist.

oldsoundguy
April 27th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Members of The Flat Earth Society ..

Or Mensa because they think they know it all!

Mountain Dew Overdose
April 27th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Who should not use Ubuntu? Bill Gates shouldn't use Ubuntu :)

wojox
April 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM
People who don't want to have fun.

Brandel Valico
April 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM
The Amish or people in costume at Ren Fairs

Other then that see post by Aysiu #1-5 since that covers most of it very well.

dgw
April 28th, 2010, 12:19 AM
All of these people should not use Ubuntu:

People who either prefer or have to use for work Windows-only programs that do not run well in Wine.

Or they can dual boot or use virtual machines.

People who don't want to use Ubuntu shouldn't.

swoll1980
April 28th, 2010, 12:25 AM
And you've never helped her with it or set up anything for her?

Sure I did, and I helped her with Windows before that. I've also helped many other people with Windows. Whats the difference? Lets not pretend that non technical people know how to use Windows. If that were the case I would be out lots of money.

Marlonsm
April 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM
People who need software (or hardware) that doesn't work with Linux yet. Unfortunately, some good software is still not compatible with it.

1. morons and the computer illiterate that HAVE to have Internet Explorer and Outlook Express b/c they can't/won't learn any other applications. My gf is not computer illiterate, but doesn't really know anything about them. She just does webmail, facebook, online shopping etc...other than iTunes, Ubuntu fully suites her needs, is easy for her to use, and really keeps her operating more efficiently (Ubuntu is faster than windows for her old laptop) and keeps her virus-free. I might buy her a Mac for x-mas, but for now she's golden (minus iTunes).

2. Hardcore gamers

3. Windows System Administrators attempting to manage Windows/AD

4. People that require iTunes (see first point)

Thats about all I can think of.

PlayOnLinux (a Wine frontend) is said to run iTunes, you could try it...

Or they can dual boot or use virtual machines.

People who don't want to use Ubuntu shouldn't.

For some people dual boots and VMs just don't work, for them it's much easier to have everything in one place.

Shpongle
April 28th, 2010, 01:20 AM
this.

that

chessnerd
April 28th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Baring the use of Wine (which hasn't worked well for me) or Crossover these are the top 5 types of people who should use Windows over Ubuntu.

1. PC Gamers.

2. People with unsupported hardware.

3. Power users of Windows applications like MS Office, Photoshop, etc. who would have difficulty with alternatives.

4. People who use little-heard-of applications made only for Windows.

5. People who like Windows. Not people who are indifferent, people who enjoy working with Windows.

EDIT:
By #5 I am referring to people who like Windows and don't want to use Ubuntu. After all, it isn't fair to try to force it on them.

JDShu
April 28th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Lesser people than me.

Linuxforall
April 28th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Those who expect Ubuntu and Linux to be exactly like Windows, they should stick to Windows.

lisati
April 28th, 2010, 02:25 AM
How about people who do "Powerpoints" instead of making presentations?

v1ad
April 28th, 2010, 02:29 AM
How about people who do "Powerpoints" instead of making presentations?

+1 Explains it perfectly.

Doctor Mike
April 28th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Baring the use of Wine (which hasn't worked well for me) or Crossover these are the top 5 types of people who should use Windows over Ubuntu.
5. People who like Windows. Not people who are indifferent, people who enjoy working with Windows.I enjoy working with Windows and I enjoy working with Ubuntu...:(

chessnerd
April 28th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I enjoy working with Windows and I enjoy working with Ubuntu...:(

Fair point. Windows and Ubuntu are not mutually exclusive.

I, too, fall into that category. I dual-boot, not out of necessity, but because I like working with Windows. In fact, I haven't used Ubuntu on my laptop in 5 days, only been on Vista and 7. I'm posting this from Windows 7 right now and posted that post from Windows XP, don't know how I missed that...

I'll edit the post to take that into account. I was referring to people who, like some of my friends, just don't want to move to Ubuntu/Linux. My point was that, if you like Windows and don't want to use Ubuntu, people shouldn't try to force it on you.

teet
April 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM
1. PC Gamers.

2. People with unsupported hardware.

3. Power users of Windows applications like MS Office, Photoshop, etc. who would have difficulty with alternatives.

4. People who use little-heard-of applications made only for Windows.

5. People who like Windows. Not people who are indifferent, people who enjoy working with Windows.

I would agree. I think ubuntu is great for the 2 extremes: people who know very little about computers and very advanced (non gaming) users. Assuming that it came preinstalled (or at least installed by an experienced linux user), the people that just want to browse the web, email, and create basic office documents will have no problem.

It's the people in between the extremes that may run into trouble. For example, the user that wants to easily sync their phone calendar with their computer will probably run into all kinds of problems. Not to mention the user that wants to use itunes or stream from netflix. These people "in the middle" just want things to work and don't want to scour google for workarounds. And I can't really blame them. I actually derive pleasure from fixing "problems" with my ubuntu install and love tinkering with things. In the end, I get an OS that performs just the way I want it to...however, I have invested hours and hours of time to get it to that point.

-teet

NightwishFan
April 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM
It is a thorn to have to have specific software for devices, but I warn people to try to see what has compatibility before they buy. Sometimes such products are better values anyway.

e-Gee
April 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM
people who use skype,

Dayofswords
April 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Cats

They are not that good when it comes to the command line.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w7ilNrFnHH4/SQn8iOVb1aI/AAAAAAAAHPg/kCG-ewbsebI/s1600/cat%2Bcomputer.jpg
(i knows its FreeBSD)

but they are good with the GUI...
http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/images/blogimages/2009/08/07/1249667804-1cat-computer.jpg

Irihapeti
April 28th, 2010, 09:06 AM
No cat can resist a mouse...

Frogs Hair
April 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM
There are people I know that would have issues using for different reasons, but I'm in no position to decide who or who should not use Ubuntu.

98cwitr
April 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Who should not use Ubuntu? Bill Gates shouldn't use Ubuntu :)

of all people, he should use Ubuntu...and learn how to make a decent OS...lmao

dmengo
April 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Who shouldn't use Ubuntu? If we're talking Linux for the desktop, this is my list of who should not use Ubuntu:

Your typical, non-technical home computer user
Corporate desktops that must be managed by centralized IT staff
Business users with specialized software requirements (Oracle, AutoCAD, Photoshop, etc.)
PC gamers
People who are happy using Windows or Mac OS X
I've spent several years doing Windows and Mac OS X computer support. As much as I believe that Linux has potential on the desktop, in my opinion it's still not there yet even with the upcoming release of 10.04.

I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu for anyone, unless you're a technical expert, developer or just someone that likes working with something different.

I'd steer your average, non-technical users toward either an iMac or a Windows 7 desktop from Dell.

Sylslay
April 28th, 2010, 09:46 PM
IT SECURITY "Freak"!!!

Chronon
April 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I think just one group of people: those who do not like Ubuntu (for whatever reason).

Needing to use Windows software does not automatically place me in that group. It seems like a false dilemma to suggest that needing to use Windows software for certain things means that someone shouldn't use Ubuntu.

If you don't like Ubuntu then don't use it. If you like using it on your hardware then do so.

Irihapeti
April 28th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Who shouldn't use Ubuntu? If we're talking Linux for the desktop, this is my list of who should not use Ubuntu:

Your typical, non-technical home computer user

You mean that my daughter-in-law shouldn't have been using Ubuntu for the 18 months that she was?

In what way was that inappropriate?

lykwydchykyn
April 28th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I think just one group of people: those who do not like Ubuntu (for whatever reason).

Needing to use Windows software does not automatically place me in that group. It seems like a false dilemma to suggest that needing to use Windows software for certain things means that someone shouldn't use Ubuntu.

If you don't like Ubuntu then don't use it. If you like using it on your hardware then do so.

/thread

Le-Froid
April 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM
1) Gamers
2) Graphic Designers
3) People who need MS Office
4) C# Devs

For 3 and 4 I know about the alternatives but they just don't match up yet..

dmengo
April 28th, 2010, 10:32 PM
You mean that my daughter-in-law shouldn't have been using Ubuntu for the 18 months that she was?

In what way was that inappropriate?

It's not inappropriate. I'm only stating my opinion.

I would never recommend any version of Linux (at this time) to a non-technical computer user for personal use at home.

Linux for the desktop "may" work for some people, but in my experience the user would be better off with either Windows or Mac OS X.

Perhaps if it's a netbook and you really only use Firefox for web browsing, Facebook, or something like that, well then of course it may work for that specific user. But the minute that same user decides they would like to buy an iPhone and use iTunes to sync all of their music then you're sunk.

And no, running Windows in a virutal machine, using Wine, or some weird dual-boot configuration isn't a good solution. That's the solutions for technical experts and support professionals such as myself; not your average computer user.

NightwishFan
April 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Advise them to not buy locked in hardware. I would rather not have an iphone then be locked in by a vendor. That is just me though.

Irihapeti
April 28th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Maybe "inappropriate" was the wrong word. I just tend to get a bit annoyed when told not to do something that has already happened.

I would actually prefer to spend some time asking a potential new user about what sort of things they do, or are likely to do, with a computer, and then make a decision. I would also warn them up front that they would have problems with an iPhone.

In the case of my daughter-in-law, it was install Ubuntu or have no computer at all (no XP disk available, because it had got corrupted).

They've since bought a new machine with Windows 7. No complaints, but then, they don't have a net connection at home.

dgw
April 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
people who use skype,
Huh? I use Skype every day for video-chatting with my friend who also uses Ubuntu. It works for us.

barney385
April 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM
People who love viruses, trojans, and other kinds of malware & spyware.

:lol:

No Doubt!!!

Doctor Mike
April 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
The "only" people who should not use Ubuntu are the people who download it, use it and do nothing but complain about how it performs.

Wine can bought at the store. It should not be sold on the forum.

Khakilang
April 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Wrong! I am afraid of command line but that does not stop me from using Ubuntu and nothing will.
:popcorn:

toowoombalinux
April 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
G'day,
Amish! I'm sure if they could they would but they can't, or even won't, so the point is mute. I doubt that electricity, let alone computers exist in a 16th Century "Amish Paradise".
Cheers
Martin

Khakilang
April 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Crackers. They should not use any computer at all not only Ubuntu.

MrD_scifi
April 29th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Huh? I use Skype every day for video-chatting with my friend who also uses Ubuntu. It works for us.

Works on every computer I've installed it on too!

However, MSN audio can I get to work? Nope! And for language researchers trying to record interviews with people round the world that is an issue (well, people just can't/won't install Skype in a lot of cases)

If you want to do proper video editing like with Sony Vegas!!!!! Although maybe we are just waiting on the Videolan video editing project to come out for us (August-ish?)

Doctor Mike
April 29th, 2010, 11:52 PM
G'day,
Amish! I'm sure if they could they would but they can't, or even won't, so the point is mute. I doubt that electricity, let alone computers exist in a 16th Century "Amish Paradise".
Cheers
MartinWhat you don't understand about the Amish could fill a book....

BlueDon
June 6th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I don't see how you can use Linux and not need to at least occasionally use the CLI. But I guess people like that do exist.

A very simple command that got me really giddy: I'd not been using Ubuntu long and the DVD drawer on the side of my gfs laptop wouldn't open. Googled it and it was just 'eject' I typed it and 'pop' out it came.

I showed everybody that.

Simple pleasures and all that...

uRock
June 6th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Necromancy

Thread Closed.