PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is the right half of my monitor slightly fuzzier than left?

hcaleman
April 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
System details:
10.04 RC (32bit)
Nvidia FX5200
nvidia-173 drivers
Resolution set at 1280x768 60hz
Display:Sharp Aquos LCD, native res of 1366x768, connected via DVI-D.

I never had this issue with hardy, but now my display is noticeable fuzzier on the right half. I can notice it where text is not as sharp as I read across the line, if I drag the browser to the left the text sharpens up.

It was some work to get Lucid to properly utilize proprietary drivers, this is the last thing that is bugging me. Is there something I may be able to address in the xorg.conf (modeline?)?

Kind of stuck for the time being.

jetsam
April 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Before the tech... this may sound funny, but have you checked the usual suspects?

Astigmatism? Too much time looking at one spot? Oil on the glass/plastic?

Even if it's off topic, cleaning a monitor is best done according to the manufacturers instructions, but the following usually work for me:
If it has a Glass screen:
level one: blow on it.
level two: feather duster
level three: dust cloth
level four: water
level five: one part isopropal to 10 parts water, adjusted according to inclination. Do not drink, as it may affect your vision in a really bad way.
level six: an atomizer filled with just water
level seven: you're on your own or go to the drugstore and pay 5 dollars for a bottle of water and alcohol called "magic monitor cleaner."
level eight: windex
level nine: the stuff in your car.
level ten: the other stuff in your car.
level 11: citronella
level 12: go back to step one and change the music after you get some sleep.

um...

Plastic monitor (lcds, etc...)
same as above, but slower and with less pressure. Replace level seven with a "microfiber cloth for $11.95," OR run an old cotten t-shirt through the laundry three times and put a silk hanky in your back pocket.

Sorry if that was no help at all. Other people will do better with the techy stuff than me. Monitors are closed boxes for me, because the tubes are nasty and they have bad chemicals inside.

P4man
April 27th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hmmm

Resolution set at 1280x768 60hz
Display:Sharp Aquos LCD, native res of 1366x768, connected via DVI-D.

Why oh why not run the native res?

hcaleman
May 4th, 2010, 03:47 AM
It never let me run it in the past under hardy with the drivers (is 1366x768 a supported mode for the FX5200?). Wasn't an issue before.

Still having this issue, a bit annoying but just kind of dealing with it for now.