PDA

View Full Version : MintMenu should have been the default gnome menu

x-shaney-x
April 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Seriously. The first thing I did after installing the first lucid beta was add the Mint Isadora repo to install MintMenu.

I used to have dozens of icons all over my desktop and panels and custom menus in gnome menu before I tried MintMenu.

Now I run everything from the menu, I have all my favourites there, the built in search means any app is easy to find and I find my desktop loads MUCH quicker without all the launchers dotted everywhere.

I just tested PCLOS Gnome and to my suprise I found MintMenu was in their repos and was the first thing I installed.

I don't understand why ubuntu was so quick to adopt the shambles that is Plymouth but don't include something that would genuinely add something to the distro.
Even the crappy suse slab menu is in the repos which doesn't come close.

And the gnome menubar is pretty archaic now.

Mint even reduced the dependencies to enable it to be installed in other distros easier.

Does anyone know of a particular reason why it wouldn't be here that I am not aware of?

P4man
April 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum ...

I personally much prefer the default gnome menu's.

I have ample screen space for 3 categories, I dont like it being grouped behind a single button requiring more clicks. The separation between applications, places and system is entirely logical IMHO, and both deserve their own menu. It just works a lot faster for me.

Last time I tried mint, i liked it overall (the green aside, but thats easy to fix), but I put the default gnome menus back in. Similarly I dislike KDE's approach. YMMV

x-shaney-x
April 27th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Fair point, everyone has their own idea about what is usable.
But it should at least be there as an option.

Ti-Paul
April 27th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Seriously,

Mintmenu is specific to Mint and if you found this menu to be better, why not using Mint instead of Ubuntu?

I'm using Ubuntu because of Gnome simple menus scheme...

You want some favorites, add a drawer onto gnome bar and add them there...

I'm in favor of the "KISS" philosophy.

P4man
April 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The drawer? it takes AGES to open ( a second time). I reported that as a bug in ... 2007? its still bugged. Do you actually use that?

uRock
April 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum ...

I personally much prefer the default gnome menu's.

I am very happy with the ubuntu/gnome menu just the way it is, too.

OP, I am glad you are able to customize ubuntu to your likings, but remember we don't all have the same preferences.

dino99
April 27th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Fair point, everyone has their own idea about what is usable.
But it should at least be there as an option.

thanks to widen our landscape, will look at it if you show me the direction :lolflag:

x-shaney-x
April 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Seriously,

Mintmenu is specific to Mint and if you found this menu to be better, why not using Mint instead of Ubuntu?

I'm using Ubuntu because of Gnome simple menus scheme...

You want some favorites, add a drawer onto gnome bar and add them there...

I'm in favor of the "KISS" philosophy.
MintMenu WAS specific to Mint but they removed branding and dependencies to make it available and usable to all distros (like I said, PCLinuxOS has it and maybe others).
I have been a Mint user for the past two releases, I have switched over to ubuntu for a while to see how it compares.

I don't expect ubuntu to adopt and use everything introduced by Mint, then it would be pointless but I just believe MintMenu in particular is a vast improvement over anything Gnome has (or KDE for that matter).

Plenty of things introduced by ubuntu (and at the time specific to ubuntu) made their way upstream to debian, as is the norm so what is so wrong with ubuntu adopting something introduced by Mint?
Like I said, they took on the awful plymouth and ignore something that IS useful.

Incidentally, I realise my original post may have come across a little demanding but it was really intended to be a suggestion is all.

23meg
April 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Moved to Community Cafe, as this does not pertain to Lucid, which is about to be released.

Doctor Mike
April 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Incidentally, I realise my original post may have come across a little demanding but it was really intended to be a suggestion is all.Brainstorm... Mint is good as it is, but the desktop takes a little more time to get around in. It is very user friendly, but IMHO a little less functional...:)

forrestcupp
April 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I'm glad what you posted wasn't what I thought you meant in the title. I thought you were saying that Mint should have used the default gnome menu.

madjr
April 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM
@x-shaney-x

mint menu was desinged for people who like their menu/panel at the bottom

if you have your panel at the top, you dont need a big-*** menu

windows, kde and mint are the ones who use these big menus, why? because panel at the bottom. Only when i use mint i like using it.

macOS does not need big *** menu either because their panel is at the top

anyway, i do think that gnome lacks a search applet. But installing Gnome-do seems to do the job for now

earthpigg
April 28th, 2010, 01:04 AM
http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/karmic/gnome-main-menu

sudo apt-get install gnome-main-menu

edit: also, there was a project i started some time ago but never really continued. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8512609

x-shaney-x
April 28th, 2010, 01:10 AM
@x-shaney-x

mint menu was desinged for people who like their menu/panel at the bottom

if you have your panel at the top, you dont need a big-*** menu

windows, kde and mint are the ones who use these big menus, why? because panel at the bottom. Only when i use mint i like using it.

macOS does not need big *** menu either because their panel is at the top

anyway, i do think that gnome lacks a search applet. But installing Gnome-do seems to do the job for now
No offence but I really didn't understand any of that.
What difference does it make whether the menu is at the top or bottom?
On mint (and now on lucid) I have mintmenu on the top panel INSTEAD of the menubar.

szymon_g
April 28th, 2010, 02:11 AM
hm...
how mintmenu differs from novells SLAB menu http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/Slab ?
i found this menu really useful.

akand074
April 28th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I like the default gnome menu, nice and simple. I almost never use the menu anyways. I used to use awn as a dock but now I use gnome-do in dock mode. I can open any application/file/folder in fractions of seconds compared to a menu. I dislike the OpenSuse menu, the Mint one is okay its just they are all so "Windows-Like" in my opinion. Either way now I press Super + Space and type the letter "F" and firefox has already been selected, or "R" and rythmbox is selected, so much more efficient. Especially when your on a laptop stuck with a touchpad. But yeah either way it doesn't make sense to put the MINT OS main menu as the default UBUNTU menu. If you like it, install it yourself or use mint instead. Theres almost no difference between Mint and Ubuntu except for the modified desktop environment.

JohnH
April 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Mint is on my wifes laptop.

First thing I do with BOTH Mint and Ubuntu is change the menu. I *really* don't like the Mint one: too intrusive. But I don't like the (dated) Ubuntu top and bottom panel either. I get rid of the top panel and use "Main Menu" on the bottom panel. I also get rid of the close/log off button because it is redundant with Main Menu. Finally, I activate Control Center under "system" in main menu.

I suppose the short answer is: no I really don't like the Mint menu at all...(I don't like standard gnome either).