PDA

View Full Version : Unix or Linux?

nene7
April 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hi to all,
I want to know what open source SO are clasified Unix like opensolaris?

aeiah
April 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
OpenBSD, FreeBSD and their derivatives are probably where you should look

nene7
April 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Why ubuntu is not clasified unix? What things make ubuntu are linux(like-unix)?

Shining Arcanine
April 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hi to all,
I want to know what open source SO are clasified Unix like opensolaris?

UNIX is anything that abides by the Single Unix Specification. Linux is a UNIX kernel that can be combined with various userland utilities to meet the requirements of the Single Unix Specification. It in itself is not necessarily UNIX, but it is close.

Some Linux distributions such as Redhat Enterprise Linux are certified to be Single Unix Specification compliant. I am not sure what is keeping Canonical from doing this with Ubuntu, but the primary factor is most likely cost. Any secondary factors could be resolved by modifying their choice of packages they provide with Ubuntu or changing kernel .config options.

In short, you can consider Ubuntu to be a UNIX OS.

nmccrina
April 27th, 2010, 03:45 PM
ninja'd

kavon89
April 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
According to wikipedia, no Linux distros have been certified to meet the single Unix specification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification). Most Linux distros like Ubuntu, however, still follow the standard enough to where one can call Linux based OSes Unix-like.

Shining Arcanine
April 27th, 2010, 03:52 PM
According to wikipedia, no Linux distros have been certified to meet the single Unix specification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification). Most Linux distros like Ubuntu, however, still follow the standard enough to where one can call Linux based OSes Unix-like.

I thought that RedHat Enterprise Linux was certified. I guess I was wrong.

HermanAB
April 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
It is mainly a trademark issue. To use the UNIX trademark, you got to pay a license fee to the Open Group.

So, legally, we are not allowed to say that Linux is a kind of UNIX. However, we can say that UNIX is a kind of Linux.

nene7
April 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
@Shining Arcanine why the cost is one factor?
Does canonial limit ubuntu not register or is that ubuntu bein linux never are goint to be unix because is unix clone?

kaldor
April 27th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Linux is close enough to UNIX to be called a UNIX clone; compare Linux to BSD or Solaris which true UNIX. Not a massive amount of difference.

red_Marvin
April 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM
However, we can say that UNIX is a kind of Linux.

Nope, Linux means that it is using the linux kernel. *BSD etc are running other kernels and are not linux.

nene7
May 3rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hi to all i was reading a article,

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-linux-and-unix/
And i don't know is this what is but to Ubuntu be UNIX is just need to be private?

nicfallenangel
May 3rd, 2010, 07:13 PM
... http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-linux-and-unix/...

The main difference between Linux and Unix is quoted from the kernel readme in that article:

Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX compliance.

Linux is not Unix because it does not use the Unix kernels. Linux conforms to certain Unix standards of operation: command structure, GUIs, etc. The licensing and closed source conformity do play a part, but the Kernel is the main difference/hindrance in calling a Linux OS Unix(-like).

swoll1980
May 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
To make a long story short they could all be UNIX if they want to pony up the dough. The BSDs and Solaris are really truly UNIX, and Linux is a reverse engineered clone.

phrostbyte
May 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Linux is close enough to UNIX to be called a UNIX clone; compare Linux to BSD or Solaris which true UNIX. Not a massive amount of difference.

BSD is not Unix, it was written from scratch and contains none of the original Unix code in it. Nor does it have the Single Unix Specification certification. So it is not Unix by any definition. Solaris is however, it is certified Unix as well containing actual code from the original Unix operating system.

Linux and BSD are Unix-like OSes, and implement a standard called "POSIX", which is the standard every Unix system is expected to implement. So the distinction in the end of the day between Unix and Unix-like is really pointless.

michaeldt
May 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
*BSD and *solaris are essentially derivatives of the UNIX which was developed very early on by AT&T and friends, and they have a lot of common code between them and UNIX.

Linux is written from scratch by Linus.

That's the difference.

phrostbyte
May 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
*BSD and *solaris are essentially derivatives of the UNIX which was developed very early on by AT&T and friends, and they have a lot of common code between them and UNIX.

Linux is written from scratch by Linus.

That's the difference.

BSD contains no Unix code since the 4.4-Lite release which EVERY *BSD that exists today is derived from! BSD can be not considered Unix any more than Linux is! :o