PDA

View Full Version : Some Good Paid-Software for Ubuntu

ssj6akshat
April 27th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Just Interested.Paid doesn't necessarily mean proprietary.

hopstah
April 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Is there a particular type of software you're interested in? There are many proprietary software packages for Linux, Mathematica being the first to mind. What exactly are you looking for?

ssj6akshat
April 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Is there a particular type of software you're interested in? There are many proprietary software packages for Linux, Mathematica being the first to mind. What exactly are you looking for?

Nothing Exactly.I am just interested in finding paid software for Ubuntu,be it anything.

iponeverything
April 27th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Most commercial database vendors have Linux offerings. Applications rendering special effects for movies and tv. Applications for IC design. Applications for investment firms. Applications for wholesale and retail sales. Applications for warehouse management. Facial recognition systems... etc. etc. etc.

The list goes on and on... but perhaps this will help spur your own imagination a bit. A better question might have been what is not available as paid-software under Linux.

bigsmitty64
April 27th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Just Interested.Paid doesn't necessarily mean proprietary.
Found Sandbox through your sig............AWESOME!

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Most of the paid-for software for Linux will be enterprise-level (IBM, Oracle, etc.) although there are some dual-licensed projects too.

From Canonical, their Landscape product is paid-for only.

I think Xara? or Maya? graphical software has a pay-for Linux version available.

I hope that more vendors would offer a version for Linux, whether paid or free, as this will only improve Linux's ability to match the other operating systems app-for-app AND it would push the FOSS due to competition!

EarthMind
April 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM
If you want desktop/workstation apps a few examples are: Nero Linux, QCAD, IntelliJ IDEA, Crossover Games/Linux, Cedega, Dropbox, Jungledisk, etc.

As for native Linux games, just browse the forum and you'll find a bunch of them.

gnomeuser
April 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM
MatLab runs on Linux, additionally one can find joy from Fluendo's licensed codec packs and their DVD player.

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM
If you want desktop/workstation apps a few examples are: Nero Linux, QCAD, IntelliJ IDEA, Crossover Games/Linux, Cedega, Dropbox, Jungledisk, etc.

As for native Linux games, just browse the forum and you'll find a bunch of them.

Dropbox isn't fee-based.. the larger account is but like UbuntuOne they give you 2GB for free.

WiFi Ed
April 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Never mind...

cph05a
April 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Crossover is a good one

eriktheblu
April 27th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Doom 3, but it's more like a modification of the Windows version.

hopstah
April 28th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Doom 3, but it's more like a modification of the Windows version.

It's not a modofication - id made a genuine Linux binary that uses all of the same textures, sounds, etc. as the Windows version.

gashcr
April 28th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Photo editing programs: Bibble and LightZone. But Top-Notch, with native linux version :D

swoll1980
April 28th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Nero is great.

joker99
May 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think a good idea would be to create something similar to appstore for ubuntu. I think pushing some cash to this system would make it better.

ssj6akshat
May 16th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I think a good idea would be to create something similar to appstore for ubuntu. I think pushing some cash to this system would make it better.

There already is,The Ubuntu Software Centre is going to have paid app support in 10.10

Rackstar
May 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Photo editing programs: Bibble and LightZone. But Top-Notch, with native linux version :D

+1

Bibble is really astounding! I bought it a couple of months ago.