PDA

View Full Version : Do you use the command line regularly?

dgw
April 27th, 2010, 04:59 AM
People say it's optional. I'm curious how many people use the command line regularly. Or I just wanted to post a silly poll, either way.

kavon89
April 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM
If I am on a Unix system and being productive, I'll always have at least one terminal window open.

SoFl W
April 27th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I worked on mainframes, for my home PC I went from DOS to W2K, I prefer a command line interface.

carl4926
April 27th, 2010, 05:04 AM
You'll probably find this a fairly one sided poll.
:)

Khakilang
April 27th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Only when everything fails that is no GUI nothing only a blinking cursor. Happen to me once and lost in CLI and format the whole thing. So I think I better start learning. Just in case.

witeshark17
April 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I use it daily most of the time. On my Mac, I keep it ready to use as well. :popcorn:

Irihapeti
April 27th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I use it at least once every time I turn on the computer. I suppose I've just got into the habit of using it. It's handy to know for when stuff crashes.

ctrlmd
April 27th, 2010, 05:29 AM
i prefer gui but i use it if i have to

lovinglinux
April 27th, 2010, 06:26 AM
All the time. I use commands and script so much that I ended up creating a Firefox extension, called FoxRunner (http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?page_id=527), that allows to run commands from forum posts, send selected text from web sites as variables to scripts, run commands from the status bar and context menu. So basically, my Firefox sidebar is always open with FoxRunner.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=154449&stc=1&d=1272345798

murderslastcrow
April 27th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I use it since I was once familiar with it, and sometimes I compile from source when there's a really new project out I wanna' examine a bit. But for the most part, I never use it, just know how to use it, and I'm grateful it's not watered down.

Penguin Guy
April 27th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I find tools like grep in the terminal far easier than find in gedit. May use it a few times a day, sometimes not at all. I've ran two commands today, both linking files relatively because Nautilus only supports exact linking.

Smart Viking
April 27th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I use it several times every day, but that is not because i know very much about it though, it is usually simple things like sudo at-get install [a program], but i learn more and more about it and i can run more and more commands as i use it. :)

nerdtron
April 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I prefer the GUI but most tutorials in the internet uses the terminal (more convinient and easy for them to type it, and since not all Linux have the same GUI though) so I use it when I really need to.

Mustard
April 27th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Five years ago when I first installed Ubuntu, I really loved the GUI equivalents of command line stuff. These days I love minimal desktops and lots of command line stuff.

I'm running Arch now mostly, which gives me lots to do in the terminal.

NCLI
April 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Every day. I administer both my home server, and a pretty big website.

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM
People say it's optional. I'm curious how many people use the command line regularly. Or I just wanted to post a silly poll, either way.

I may use the command line when troubleshooting, like right now when I'm working on my brother-in-law's computer where the mouse doesn't work, nor the usb or the network.

Otherwise, I think the only thing I have had to use the command line for is getting my broadcom wireless working. After that I am pretty much all-free on the desktop.

My server, though, is a headless server so configuring that requires the command line.

In the beginning I was afraid of the command line, but work sent me to a class for our PICK mainframe system which is all command line. After that class, which ran on Red Hat, I wasn't so afraid and it wasn't long after that I installed Linux and began this journey.

BrokenKingpin
April 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
There are a lot of things where command line is required.

coutts99
April 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Majority of my "working" time is spent at the command line.

Doctor Mike
April 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I find I'm using it more and more, but I still average closer to once a week. Won't be long before I'm using it all the time.

kenweill
April 27th, 2010, 02:09 PM
i usually use a terminal when there's a new kernel installed.

gonna do "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub", edit something, then do "sudo update-grub".

tbastian
April 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I maintain that it is almost completely unnecessary to use command line if you don't want to. The command line scares a lot of new linux users I find. I personally love it and find it much easier to use because all the tools are right there without any searching through menus to find them. But most of the tools ARE in the menus if you are so inclined to search for them!

K.Mandla
April 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm at the terminal more than 99 percent of the time I use the computer.

swoll1980
April 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Is there a way to embed a terminal in nautilus? I think that would be cool.

Dragonbite
April 27th, 2010, 03:10 PM
There are a lot of things where command line is required.

required? Like what?

Usually when I use the command line, it's by choice even though a GUI is available (eg. apt-get, ssh, ping, nano, sudo nautilus)

I must admit, though, that given a good keyboard typing things is sometimes better than point-and-click. It also depends on the system; my 12" laptop can be annoying trying to click just the right spot, plus using the pointer is not completely precise while the keyboard strokes are predictable and I don't have to move my hands as much.

aeiah
April 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM
i use it every day because its quicker than clicking around with a mouse. unless something breaks i dont need to use it though, and nothing has broken on this system for about a year.

Shining Arcanine
April 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM

I use Gentoo Linux. I use the command-line every day and it is not optional.

MindSz
April 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
i use it every day because its quicker than clicking around with a mouse.

+1...besides, I already got used to it, so now it takes me a while to find the "GUI way" of doing things

beetleman64
April 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I never, ever use the command line unless it's absolutely necessary. It's just like having your shoelaces tied together: you can do it, it's just not a very efficient way of getting about.

dgw
April 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM
You can do this if you use Konqueror as a file manager instead of Nautilus. I believe you also need to install Konsole since it uses that terminal instead of gnome terminal.

oldos2er
April 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM

sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal

tica vun
April 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I use it every day, because it's more efficient for what I do than the GUIs that would accomplish the same task. That said, ubuntu does allow you to do most of everything with a GUI if you're that way inclined. This poll really isn't indicative of anything.

swoll1980
April 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM
sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal

Isn't that just a script that opens a separate terminal window?

blur xc
April 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Bash is the best file manager that I've found... It's just a lot easier to get stuff done that way sometimes. Note- easier to learn and easer to use are two different things. I spent a few good months studying up and it's been way worth the effort, there's still tons to learn though...

BM

VCoolio
April 27th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Ubuntu should imho try to be as cli-independent as it gets, and it's doing great. But I just think cli is way faster and more lightweight (and more fun) than gui, so I use it all the time for package / file management, irc, music.

oldos2er
April 28th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Isn't that just a script that opens a separate terminal window?

It opens a terminal in the directory currently open in Nautilus. I've never found a script that creates a persistent terminal in Nautilus, which would be handy.

donkyhotay
April 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I keep yakuake running full time just for easy CLI usage. Some things are easier to do with the GUI, some are easier to do with the CLI. For example if I'm sorting through hundreds of family photos and looking for one that has a picture of a dog in it I'm going to scan with the GUI. On the other hand if I need to find every photo created within the past X days and copy them to a specific folder I'm going to use the CLI instead. You get lots of people claiming GUI is better and other stating the CLI is better however they are simply two different tools that both have their own pros and cons. I *could* do everything with the CLI, just like I *could* do (almost) everything with the GUI however thats just making things harder for myself. On the whole though I generally use the CLI at least once a day or so depending on what I'm doing. Despite the constant complaining from linux noobies I think the CLI is great for noobies fixing their computer. I had a friend that recently converted to linux call me the other day because they were getting a package manager error. Synaptic told them run "sudo dpkg***" (can't remember the exact message) and didn't know what to do. I told them the computer was asking them to run that command in the CLI and to simply pull up the terminal, then copy and paste the message exactly as stated. They were concerned since they didn't know what the command did, I told them it doesn't matter because the computer knows what it means and simply needs them to do this in order to fix itself. Of course upon doing it they were able to update synaptic without any issues and their system is fine again. I've found this to be true many times fixing linux computers, if you look at the forums you will often see "copy and paste the following command into the terminal" because it's easier then saying "click here, find this button, scroll down, click that" with the GUI. Sure people may not know what the commmand they're typing in is but these same people also usually don't really understand what buttons they're pressing in the GUI either.