PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply Rec??

Cabs21
April 27th, 2010, 01:16 AM
HI. I recently bought a new DH55TC Intel Mobo and i5-650 along with 2 x 2GB Kensington DDR3 cards. I am going to put my GeForce GT 220 Video card in the PCIe x16 slot and an IDE Card in the PCI slot. The IDE card will connect the DVD RW drive and CD ROM drive to the mobo. I will also have two 500 GB SATA 7200 RPM connected to the Mobo also. I plan on adding 2 SATA drives in the future and a Blu-Ray drive in the future and adding two more DDR3 cards. I was looking at this future configurations I have planned and used 6 different power supply calculators and it seems to upgrade in the future I will need at minimum 600 Watts. Was planning on getting 650 Watts power supply and thinking that it would be enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on if I should go higher in Wattage or any manufacturers you might recommend. Thanks

If I was not detailed enough let me know and I will post more info.

Cabs21
April 27th, 2010, 01:33 AM
bump

Cabs21
April 27th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Anybody??

Bright_View
April 27th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Anybody??

Last time I was at my favourite computer store they told me that the new Corsair power supplies are really good. Personally, I've bought an Antec power supply and an Enermax power supply after reading good reviews about both.

If you want to read more about different PSUs, tomshardware.com is one of the best places to go. Here is a link to all reviews regarding PSUs (the latest roundup doesn't seem too current, but perhaps there will be some good info there that is still useful).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Power-Supplies,6/

Dave

Lightstar
April 27th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Mine is one of these:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_500w_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply

OCZ, modular... I can never go to non-modular Power supplies now!
I only have the power cords I need, alot less wiring clutter, cleaner look. I bought it a year ago, it's still going very strong, and doesn't get dirty that easily.

650w is good for you, and yeah, I wouldn't go under 600w.
Anyway, the power supply only uses what you need, so it's better to have room for expansion than to lack power. 650-700 would be my choice.