PDA

View Full Version : no x? am i alone?

daweefolk
April 27th, 2010, 01:12 AM
does anyone else use linux in console only and find all cli programs because they are faster than gui programs and because you type faster than you can move a mouse?

cariboo
April 27th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I have a Mac G3 running Debian stable with no gui. I use it for playing mp3's, mpg321, ogg123 and randomplay. The share with the music is automounted via nfs.

daweefolk
April 27th, 2010, 01:50 AM
i mostly program, surf the web, and listen to music. i LOVE the program gnu screen. its my "window manager" lol

Lightstar
April 27th, 2010, 03:10 AM
not me :3

undecim
April 27th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I would, If I could somehow get firefox and globulation 2 without X.

I know there's links and lynx, but I want the addons, youtube, etc.

Khakilang
April 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Are you one of the rare X-Men group?

renkinjutsu
April 27th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I have an old Macbook 1.1 running fedora that i bring around with me. It only has 512Mb of RAM and a ridiculously slow harddrive, so i tend run it without graphics, because i'll die if it starts swapping D;

Muffinabus
April 27th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Some of us enjoy using our computers for leisure which would include, for me at least, video and video games. Can't have video without video...

CharlesA
April 27th, 2010, 04:52 AM
My server is CLI only, I used to use a GUI with VNC but since I did 90% of my work via terminal anyway.. why bother with a GUI (and there's always webmin).

SSH is pure win. :D

kavon89
April 27th, 2010, 04:52 AM
For the longest time I was using Arch with Ion3 and my iBook was Debian with no X at all. I guess using Ion3 doesn't count as no X but the only graphical programs I used were Firefox and Pidgin, everything else like IRC or file management was done via cli. I still sort of miss using Ion because once you got the hang of all the shortcuts it was really nice to use.

phrostbyte
April 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Only on the server. :)

mmix
April 27th, 2010, 06:31 AM
For different reason,
using cli environment, mingw on windows xp. :)

WinterRain
April 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM
It would be of no benefit to me to run without a gui. I rely on video too much to be without it. But if it floats your boat, go for it.

Penguin Guy
April 27th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I don't have the time to learn CLI stuff like Vim or Emacs, so no, I use X.

V for Vincent
April 27th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I'm not uncomfortable with the CLI, but stuff like lynx is too much for me. I've had to use it a few times when I messed up my graphics configuration and I can't say it was very enjoyable.

TMKCodes
April 27th, 2010, 07:42 AM
CLI on server and GUI on desktops, but still use CLI much for stuff like irssi and programming.

matthew.ball
April 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I use GNOME, run Chromium for browsing, and Evince for viewing PDFs, but otherwise everything else is done through CLI - more specifically, most things are done through GNU Emacs (I do a bit of programming, and write a few essays/papers).

I have OpenOffice installed, but only because some of my lecturers give out assignments in .doc and I haven't investigated any CLI-based programs for reading them.

tom66
April 27th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty much all GUI, but I am well-versed in command line stuff so I guess I could survive in a CLI environment. But I prefer a GUI; it makes me more productive.

frenchn00b
April 27th, 2010, 09:04 AM
does anyone else use linux in console only and find all cli programs because they are faster than gui programs and because you type faster than you can move a mouse?

I use only console mode, mutt to elinks, abook, and all other possible available apps. It is great, remote, and un-crashable :)

oppression
April 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I think we need and the both, and for that reason I choose linux because is the only OS that does it.

NightwishFan
April 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I am familiar with both and I see nothing wrong with using no X if you do what you want better without it. Personally I became familiar with some common tasks on the CLI just in case, and it has come in handy :).

I just use a hybrid gnome-shell with guake, which looks and works great. : )

BrokenKingpin
April 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I have in the past, but only on an extra box for a home server. I do a lot of things through command line, but still use a full DE.

Are you using this console only computer as your main box? If so, I find it hard to believe. Although you can get by on it, it just isn't practical for a lot of stuff, such as web browsing.

kenweill
April 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
my proxy server have no x installed. using ubuntu 8.04 server. i did most of my editing with "nano".

proxy settings are setup through webmin. samba file sharing is also setup in webmin.

K.Mandla
April 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
No X for me.

blueturtl
April 27th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Some of us enjoy using our computers for leisure which would include, for me at least, video and video games. Can't have video without video...

Well actually you can. MPlayer can play videos in a virtual terminal. You don't need X for that.

I can mostly do without X when need be (and sometimes I prefer it that way) but web browsing without CSS or javascript support is pretty hard nowadays. Someone needs to make a UI for the gecko rendering engine that runs in framebuffer mode. Then I wouldn't really need X for anything any more.

K.Mandla, you're my hero. :)

renkinjutsu
May 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM

What's wrong with mplayer -vo fbdev2
works perfectly

chriswyatt
May 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
I've been using ALSA mixer lately because it starts a lot faster than most mixers, and I can use my keyboard which I find easier than dragging things with the mouse.

renkinjutsu
May 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
No X for me.

Lol. Everyone knows about you, K Mandla. Awesome blog btw.

RandomJoe
May 1st, 2010, 10:29 PM
Most of my machines have no X, but then most of them are headless servers.

I could do most of what I do on a computer without X, but the one thing I really like about X is being able to have multiple terminals onscreen at the same time, so I don't have to toggle back and forth between two different virtual screens or such.

With the high resolution displays I have now, I can either have a bunch of standard terminal windows open all connected to something different, or I can have one or two LARGE terminal windows with lots of rows/columns.

Perhaps it's possible now to do that non-GUI, but the last time I tried running high-res textmode the results were hard to look at for any length of time to me - and it still wouldn't let me have multiple terminals open on one screen. (Perhaps there's some variation on the old CLI desktop manager available? Never really looked into it.)

daweefolk
May 1st, 2010, 11:03 PM
i currently have the ubuntu minimal installed on my laptop and i love it. so fast its ridiculous too. i havent swapped a single time. topped out at 5% ram. who knows some good cli games besides nethack?