PDA

View Full Version : Best PC Hardware Compatable with Ubuntu?

ezphilosophy
March 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I don't often post as I usually just search for the info. However, in this case, I'm having a hard time searching so I'm just going to ask. Hope you can give me some good input!

I live in China and hardware is cheap. The best way to go is just putting a computer together. I would like to know the best hardware combination for my situation.

I want basically a top-of-the-line computer mainly for gaming. I will use windows only for gaming and ubuntu breezy for everything else (mainly just surfing the net and making my desktop pretty). What would be the ideal hardware to use? What is the highest end graphics card that works well with Ubuntu? Which processor? I would like to go with a Pentium D (dual-core) but it seems that some people are having problems with that and Ubuntu. What about a motherboard?

I believe those are the three main areas that need addressing. Also, if two pieces of hardware are nearly identical in performance, but a huge price jump, I would go with the cheaper.

Any ideas? Expertise? :)

bjweeks
March 18th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Video Card: Nvidia all the way...

Motherboard: The nvidia nforce 2-4 are surported (ive got a 2 and 4 and both work great)

Also make sure to get a hardware soundcard like any of the soundblaster cards.

tkiesel
March 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM
If gaming is one of your main concerns, I'd suggest going for a graphics card with an Nvidia chipset. Nvidia provides better Linux support than ATI.. the cards work with fewer headaches on Linux than the comparable ATI offerings.

As for the rest.. go with what you can afford and what you like. I'm an AMD guy as far as processors go, but that's just me. ;)

K.Mandla
March 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM
In my experience, an nVidia graphics card is a good idea. Most other hardware seems well-supported (since you're probably not looking at wireless cards :) ), but a good video card will save you a lot of headaches.

My 7800 is easy to set up and runs without too many problems. I haven't worked with the SLI stuff or with dual nVidias, but it might be fun to play with. I know dual monitor is possible, but I've not done that yet either. I've set up a few ATI cards and they work as well as nVidias, but seem to require more attention. That's just my experience though. ... :)

I understand that there are some modem issues, but I worked with very few modems, so I can't offer advice there. Other hardware just seems to work. NIC, sound and other cards rarely give me any problems. I hope you are as lucky.

Cheers!

poofyhairguy
March 18th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Please go read a few benchmarks. Gaming and Pentium Ds don't go well together. The highest Pentium D gets beat by the lowest dual core AMDs when it comes to gaming. Don't know why, just the way it is.

For a video card, just avoid ATI.

ezphilosophy
March 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the great advice. I should have mentioned in my original message that I was already planning to go Nvidia. From most of my searches, most people have the least problems with Nvidia and Ubuntu.

Does it matter which Nvidia card I get? Do they ALL work well with Ubuntu? Does anyone have experience with the high end nvidia GPUs? I'm specifically wondering about the realistic differences between the 6800 ultra (6 series) and 7 series. Also, what is important with motherboards? Are there some that come more recommended?

ezphilosophy
March 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Please go read a few benchmarks. Gaming and Pentium Ds don't go well together. The highest Pentium D gets beat by the lowest dual core AMDs when it comes to gaming. Don't know why, just the way it is.

For a video card, just avoid ATI.

I'm not keen on getting an AMD. Probably go pentium unless enough people persuade otherwise. So, if not a pentium D, then what is the next best bet? Is 64 bit really worth it? Is a lot of just "hype"?

Swab
March 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Also make sure to get a hardware soundcard like any of the soundblaster cards.

Actually I bought a soundblaster 7.1 card and it turned out that it offloaded all the work to the CPU... so I returned it and got a 5.1 hardware soundcard from ebay.

ezphilosophy
March 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I never thought to be too concerned with the soundcard. Should I be? I remember back in the days of 486 computers, soundcards were in competition like graphics cards are today.

BoyOfDestiny
March 18th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I never thought to be too concerned with the soundcard. Should I be? I remember back in the days of 486 computers, soundcards were in competition like graphics cards are today.

I remember that, I was a kid though so my dad got to pick. We went with cheap soundblaster instead of the nice rolands. :)

Anyway it matters in my book, get a card with hardware mixing. No lag and message boxes about "unable to open device". Multiple sounds from multiple apps via ALSA. :)

mstlyevil
March 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I'm not keen on getting an AMD. Probably go pentium unless enough people persuade otherwise. So, if not a pentium D, then what is the next best bet? Is 64 bit really worth it? Is a lot of just "hype"?

Pentium D is a 64 bit CPU. I uses the same 64 bit instruction set that AMD uses. Yes 64 bit is worth it especially if you decide to upgrade to Windows Vista for your gaming needs.

Until later this year when the Conroe from Intel comes out and replaces the Pentium CPU's, AMD X2 dual cores are the fastest processors for just about every task you can do on a computer including gaming. As poofyhairyguy suggested, you should go and read the numerous benchmarks on these CPU's before you buy. I know you are familliar with Intels but you should really be open to using a AMD processor.

The model graphics card you buy should mainly be based on what you can afford. Do not get a 6 series unless you just only have around $100 USD to spend. Then I recomend the 6600 GT. If you have around $200 USD to spend go with the new mid range GPU, the 7600 GT. If you have over $300 USD to spend then the 7900 series is the best card to have and is the best overall card for gaming.

Most important for gaming, get plenty of quality RAM. The bare minimum for a gamer should be 1 Gig (2x512 for dual channel support.) The idea amount of Ram for a gamer is 2 Gigs (2x1Gig). The newer games are requiring more and more RAM so make sure you have plenty.

sudomania4
March 18th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Here is a search in the ubuntu wiki for "hardware":
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=hardware&titlesearch=Titles
Look under anything labeled "hardware/support". Also try searching the wiki (the searchbox is at the upper right) for your hardware to find compatibility. There are sections on laptops, desktops, individual parts, printers, etc. Nvidia graphics cards are good, as well as any AMD processor.

nickle
March 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
I don't know what part of China you are living in, but if it is a hot climate where you live, then perhaps consider and AMD CPU. The current range of Intel chips run very hot. In contrast AMD currently has a much better Performance/power ratio, If the air temp is hot even the best air-cooling will not work well. A friend of mine in Australia has to turn up the air-conditioning to run his pentium on hungry tasks otherwise it cuts out...

If you are interested in WiFi, make sure the card has an Atheros chip (check their web-site for a full list). These cards work well with Ubuntu...

poofyhairguy
March 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I'm not keen on getting an AMD. Probably go pentium unless enough people persuade otherwise. So, if not a pentium D, then what is the next best bet?

If you won't buy an AMD, just wait for the next generation of dual core Intels. The Pentium Ds straight up suck at games:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-3.html?tag=lnav

Intel should be embarrassed with its showing in round 2. At every turn, AMD beat it to the punch. Even the Athlon 64 X2 3800+, the lowest end of AMD's dual-core CPUs, is better suited to 3D gaming than Intel's highest-end Extreme Edition 840 CPU, which lost by a full 10 percent.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-9.html?tag=lnav

After reading the round-by-round account of our dual-core desktop CPU prizefight, it should come as no shock that AMD's Athlon 64 X2 chips are the runaway victors here, laying out the Intel Pentium D and Pentium Extreme Edition 840 chips pins up. If we had to call out one chip, AMD's Athlon 64 X2 4400+ is an outstanding bargain given the competition, but as our results show, any AMD dual-core CPU will serve you better than its similarly priced Intel equivalent.

If you're wondering why there's such a striking performance difference between the two companies' processors, it likely has something to do with the memory controller. Among the technological differences between the two, AMD's memory controller--the component that sends information back and forth between your system's CPU and the memory--is an integrated part of the Athlon 64 X2's chip architecture. Intel's memory controller, however, exists as a separate piece of silicon on the motherboard. The additional distance between the CPU and the memory controller adds to the processing lag time and likely plays a part in Intel's lower scores.

Whatever Intel's strategy, it doesn't seem to have held up. We're very interested to see what happens when the next generation of chips and chipsets hits the market starting in January. But until then, AMD's Athlon 64 X2 should be your dual-core processor of choice.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1860217,00.asp

Okay, AMD is faster than Intel in games. We knew that already, but we're always startled by the margin of victory.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-328-6.htm

Let's just say it now: In terms of gaming, the Pentium D just doesn't stand a chance against the Athlon64 X2.

Pentium Ds are pretty much a waste of money.

Teroedni
March 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Cpu:Amd Get a x2 if you can

Videocard: Nvidia

Motherboard:I would say Nvidia:)

Soundcards:http://alsa.opensrc.org/Alsa+Preferred+Soundcards

Hardrives:Sata .
I reccomend Raptor or Samsung spinpoint;) [make sure you got a supported s-ata chipset]

Wireless Network:have a look here
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Networkwifi

Hardware Compatibility:check this site
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/HCL

Hope this Helps

ezphilosophy
March 19th, 2006, 08:11 PM
That's a ton of good advice. Thanks for the great links.

Poofyhairyguy may have persuaded me. After furthur research, it really looks like AMD has come out ahead. It's interesting.... why do I have such negative connotations with AMD? Do I still have stigmas about it from when the company first started getting popular? I remember back in.... (96?) around the time that AMDs [seemed] to be getting big, they were just terrible.
ah.... living in ignorance... where the phrase "ignorance is bliss" really doesn't stand strong.

To nickle: I live in Shanghai. Summertime temps are about 32 degrees celsius, and humid as all hell. Moreover, air conditiong systems are not so good. (no central air) Thanks for bringing that up. That will certainly be something to think about.

Now, with Athlon64 X2, who is using that now with ubuntu? No problem? Insights?

Also, any furthur information about motherboards? recommendations? I see that Teroedni recommends nvidia. Any backers?

ezphilosophy
March 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Also, to poofyhairyguy, if you are recommending the Athlon64 X2, then which model?

bjweeks
March 19th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Also, to poofyhairyguy, if you are recommending the Athlon64 X2, then which model?

It all depends on how much power you want, cause they will all work with ubuntu.

mstlyevil
March 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
That's a ton of good advice. Thanks for the great links.

Poofyhairyguy may have persuaded me. After furthur research, it really looks like AMD has come out ahead. It's interesting.... why do I have such negative connotations with AMD? Do I still have stigmas about it from when the company first started getting popular? I remember back in.... (96?) around the time that AMDs [seemed] to be getting big, they were just terrible.
ah.... living in ignorance... where the phrase "ignorance is bliss" really doesn't stand strong.

To nickle: I live in Shanghai. Summertime temps are about 32 degrees celsius, and humid as all hell. Moreover, air conditiong systems are not so good. (no central air) Thanks for bringing that up. That will certainly be something to think about.

Now, with Athlon64 X2, who is using that now with ubuntu? No problem? Insights?

Also, any furthur information about motherboards? recommendations? I see that Teroedni recommends nvidia. Any backers?

I have had good luck with Nvidia chipsets and Linux. I am currently using a DFI Infinity Nforce 4 SLI mother board. Ubuntu detected and configured everything on the mobo out of the box. Make sure the mobo you buy uses Realtek sound. I have heard of some people buying ASUS boards with a Nforce chipset that had different sound and they had problems with them. Gigabyte and DFI both use Realtek.

imagine
March 19th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I add some suggestions too.

CPU: If you don't want an AMD processor, then take an Intel Pentium M, Core Solo or Core Duo, that's the new generation. The only thing the Pentium D was good at was generating heat. Even Intels marketing departement nowadays makes fun of their old processor.
And about 64bit CPUs: They are needed to address more than 4GB RAM without dirty hacks, so at some point in the future everybody will run 64bit CPUs. However they can also execute 32bit code (except some processors for the enterprise market which you won't buy anyway), meaning that 64bit is just an option.

Mainboard: I didn't make good experiences with nForce-chipsets (not concerning Linux but in general), but admittedly for AMD systems there aren't many choices. SiS and Uli are only found on low-cost boards and Via basically stopped to develop new chipsets.

Soundcard: Doesn't really matter. Just do not buy a Soundblaster X-Fi.

Videocard: If it wasn't for gaming an Intel GPU or a Radeon 9550 (or anything else with a ATI R200 chip) would be just fine, but of course those chips aren't very fast. So for you there's no way around a Nvidia card.

Mr_J_
March 20th, 2006, 01:44 AM
My signature is 100% compatible with Ubuntu.

poofyhairguy
March 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM

I have the 3800 X2 and I love it. Either get that or the 4400 depending on what you can afford.

I also have a VIA motherboard (well its an Asus motherboard with a VIA chipset) and a 6600 GT. All works great in Linux.

ezphilosophy
March 20th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Things are really coming along now! Starting to get a solid base to build on. Now, I shall get some price quotes. Let's see how cheap I can get this thing. :)

mstlyevil
March 20th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Things are really coming along now! Starting to get a solid base to build on. Now, I shall get some price quotes. Let's see how cheap I can get this thing. :)

Using the best price for performance model has always done me well. It is definitely the way to go for most people. (Unless you are rich)

nickle
March 20th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Ezphilosophy

If you don't mind, could you please let us know how much the hardware costs in your part of the world... I am curious....

ezphilosophy
March 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Ezphilosophy

If you don't mind, could you please let us know how much the hardware costs in your part of the world... I am curious....

Absolutely. I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Very exciting! :p

equal
March 21st, 2006, 12:55 AM
For the record, if you're looking for a good sound card too (very important for adding the final touch to good gaming!) Creative Audigy 2 soundcards install perfectly fine, during OS install.

ezphilosophy
March 21st, 2006, 08:17 AM
For the record, if you're looking for a good sound card too (very important for adding the final touch to good gaming!) Creative Audigy 2 soundcards install perfectly fine, during OS install.

Thanks for the tip! I'm currently looking to go with SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS. Any experience with this one?

Actually, I was just reading in the beginner area about someone having a problem with their Audigy. Hope it is not serious.

bjweeks
March 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the tip! I'm currently looking to go with SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS. Any experience with this one?

Actually, I was just reading in the beginner area about someone having a problem with their Audigy. Hope it is not serious.

I have that same card it has run on ever linux distro ever...

ezphilosophy
March 21st, 2006, 12:43 PM
I have that same card it has run on ever linux distro ever...

When you mean "run", does that mean without any special configuring? I mean, you installed Ubuntu and sound is ready to go? If so, then... excellent. That's exactly what I want to hear. :)

edit: I suppose equal already confirmed the installation part.

bjweeks
March 21st, 2006, 01:26 PM
When you mean "run", does that mean without any special configuring? I mean, you installed Ubuntu and sound is ready to go? If so, then... excellent. That's exactly what I want to hear. :)

edit: I suppose equal already confirmed the installation part.

Yep worked without any special configuringUbuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, and SUSE(well not gentoo...).

Burgresso
March 29th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Could anyone provide some more sound card reccomendations? :)

The Soundophiliac
March 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM
The m-audio delta 2496 is a great one for music if you care about real hi-fi. Not too expenseve either. Not sure about gaming but otherwise at least it works perfectly and sounds very, very good. It has equal components to high-end cd players.

I believe in the inferiority of Creative soundcards when it comes to sound quality but that one is an eternal issue amongst computer audio hi-fi-ists. Some people have had problems with them. I think Creatives sometimes dumped all of their workload to the cpu which is not nice.

ezphilosophy
March 30th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Alright, well, it seems that the prices are not as cheap as I had hoped and actually, some of them are higher than US prices. It seems that only low grade, "untechnological" pieces are cheaper. I'm having a hard time deciding and the anticipation of getting a new computer is giving me restless nights. (ever been there?)

So, my most recent quote:

Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
AMD 64 X2 3800+
Nvidia 6800 GS
2 GB RAM (Kingston?)
19" LCD Wide
-with of course ample power supply, decent case

@ 10,000 RMB (US $ 1,220) However, this price is still in the negotiating stages. Probably could get it a bit lower, 9,800 or 9,700 depending on my negotiating skills.

So far, this is a bit more than I wanted to spend. I really had a personal cap of 9,000 RMB (US $ 1,100) but if I wanted to wait another month (another paycheck), I could step it up a notch.

My dilemma:
I really want to get a computer ASAP but would wait longer if I can justify it. Overall, I'm really impatient, just a "kid" wanting a new toy. There are some areas, specifically with GPU and CPU, that I'm concerned with. I really wanted to get the 4400 AMD and am worried that in the near future, maybe disappointed that I didn't spend the extra cash. Also, I'm worried that the GPU will quickly be outdated, as some may argue that it already is! I personally don't agree with that. I believe that I'll be able to play my games with ease. I currently play CandC: zero hour and hope to be playing CS:source.
One argument in favor of the current setup could be that the motherboard is SLI and in the future, could just add an additional 6800 card.
If I wanted to get the computer now, I would probably have to reduce the RAM to 1 GB which would put the price at around 9,000 and could add the additional RAM in the months to come. I believe 1 GB would get me by for the time being.

Any thoughts? Opinions? I would really appreciate some input in both directions. Is the 3800 good enough? Not much difference with 4400? GPU? 6800 GS not good enough? Any thoughts on nvidia 7000 series? Should I really save up A LOT more money and get a 512 MB card?

bjweeks
March 30th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I think the 6800 gs and the 3800 are well suited together, I think the 4400 would be to much for that gpu...

I believe that I'll be able to play my games with ease. I currently play CandC: zero hour and hope to be playing CS:source.

I can for a fact tell you that you will be able to play Counter Strike Source at all high settings with no problem!(same with zh)

Any thoughts? Opinions? I would really appreciate some input in both directions. Is the 3800 good enough? Not much difference with 4400? GPU? 6800 GS not good enough? Any thoughts on nvidia 7000 series? Should I really save up A LOT more money and get a 512 MB card?

I have a 3700+ and a 6800(soon to be 2 in sli...) and I can play any game out on high with good fps.

My recommendation it to make sure the parts you pick can be upgraded easy. Get a sli motherboard so down the road you can buy a second 6800 gs and a 1 more gb of ram.

If you have any questions about how cs:s runs just pm me...

ps all of my gameing is done in windows, if you want to play CS in ubuntu(looks good and runs good) forget it.

mips
March 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Bottom line, whatever you buy today is going to be outdated tomorrow...

ezphilosophy
March 30th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I think the 6800 gs and the 3800 are well suited together, I think the 4400 would be to much for that gpu...

I can for a fact tell you that you will be able to play Counter Strike Source at all high settings with no problem!(same with zh)

I have a 3700+ and a 6800(soon to be 2 in sli...) and I can play any game out on high with good fps.

My recommendation it to make sure the parts you pick can be upgraded easy. Get a sli motherboard so down the road you can buy a second 6800 gs and a 1 more gb of ram.

If you have any questions about how cs:s runs just pm me...

ps all of my gameing is done in windows, if you want to play CS in ubuntu(looks good and runs good) forget it.

Thanks for the input. Very reassuring.

I do have a question for you though -- if everything on your system runs so great, then why are you getting another 6800? (SLI) :-k

bjweeks
March 31st, 2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the input. Very reassuring.

I do have a question for you though -- if everything on your system runs so great, then why are you getting another 6800? (SLI) :-k

I like to play with my AA and AF all the way up. Also it's only 100$ usd so not bad for a 40% jump in fps...

ezphilosophy
April 1st, 2006, 08:01 AM
I like to play with my AA and AF all the way up. Also it's only 100$ usd so not bad for a 40% jump in fps...

Sorry for possibly this stupid question, but what is "AA" and "AF"? :-?

drizek
April 1st, 2006, 08:11 AM
antialiasing and anisotropic filtering

AA gets rid of jagged edges
AF gets rid of blurriness(very simplified explanation)

Google for more info/screenshots

nickle
April 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
Bottom line, whatever you buy today is going to be outdated tomorrow...

This is one of those hard facts of life when it come to technology, particularly IT. For example AMD will be updating their CPU socket later this year.
Furthermore, stretching yourself financially to pay the premium prices of the latest hardware is really not worth-while. In a few months they will no longer be premium and in a few years they will be out of date...
Save the money and go for a few beers instead....

ezphilosophy
April 4th, 2006, 02:56 AM
This is one of those hard facts of life when it come to technology, particularly IT. For example AMD will be updating their CPU socket later this year.
Furthermore, stretching yourself financially to pay the premium prices of the latest hardware is really not worth-while. In a few months they will no longer be premium and in a few years they will be out of date...
Save the money and go for a few beers instead....

I believe this is the path I will go. Thanks for the insight. It made me think of how my "old man" thinks. He believes that one should never buy a new car and that you are better off buying a new-used car (a fairly new car with low miles) because the value drops such an incredible amount the minute you "drive it off the lot". When factoring all the money vs. what you get out of it, you are better off with the new-used car.

Maybe not the best analogy, but nonetheless a bit relatable, at or the very least, I think it is. :p

I'll go with the best I can get before the exponential increase which I believe is pretty close to the specs I listed.

mips
April 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
ezphilosophy,

You should listen to your "old man", he sounds wise to me.

The analogy is pretty good I would say. You don't need the latest & greatest. Only a fool would spend his money on a brand new car, the minute you drive it off the showroom floor it could depreciate by up to 20%. Low milage second hand or demo model is a better financial decision.

I agree with the statement above about saving some money and going for a few cold beers with some good friends...

ezphilosophy
June 18th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Well, I finally got it. It only took a few months...... (so many hardships along the way)

I didn't get the computer I really wanted. But, all in all, I'm pretty satisfied.

I ended up lowering my CPU standards because of some difficulties with getting the AMD Athlon X2 here in China. I don't want to get into it, but it was just some socket inconsistencies and other sketchiness.

I went with:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard: Gigabyte K8N nforce4 SLI
GPU: Nvidia 6800 GS 256 mb
RAM: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 160 GB SATA
DVD-RW 16x
Monitor: 19 inch LG

The total cost was 7,200 RMB. So, about US $900. Didn't really save any money and the parts are probably not as good. I suppose if I saved anything it all, it was on labor as I didn't lift a finger. They put it together for me.

Running Breezy at the moment and encountered some minor problems with the "nv" driver. Hopefully, I'll be running Dapper in the next 24 hours.

mips
June 19th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Running Breezy at the moment and encountered some minor problems with the "nv" driver. Hopefully, I'll be running Dapper in the next 24 hours.

Try the guide by tseliot, http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper

There is also a install script available from his website.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=139264
http://www.albertomilone.eu/europeo/nvidia_scripts1.html

ezphilosophy
June 21st, 2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I followed the guide. Tseliot is a godsend. (well, maybe an overstatement, but his guides are quite good.)

computer is running great.

mips
June 22nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
... Tseliot is a godsend. (well, maybe an overstatement, but his guides are quite good.)

Probably won't be long and he'll be just as well known as Ferrari, Lamborgini, Ducatti, Prada, Armani etc