PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu should sell ad space in the software center.

swoll1980
April 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Just a thought.

Seal Daemon
April 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM
They should finish it before doing that .. it's a mess at the moment :|

JamezQ
April 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm not going to say no, but this could go wrong in a lot of ways.

antenna
April 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I would hope not.

Bachstelze
April 26th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Whatever, I don't use it anyway. I think it would make a bad impression, though.

NCLI
April 26th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Oh please god no. If they do it, it should be text-ads ONLY, and relevant to your search, or the app you're looking at. Though even text ads would Ubuntu feel cheap and tacky to me. I think Canonical is better off without incorporating ads in one of its core products.

whiskeylover
April 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM
"This download will begin in 15 seconds"

*A "Windows® 7. Your PC, simplified" ad plays in the background.*

swoll1980
April 26th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'm talking about a little box in the app that shows adds. Nothing that would slow down downloads, or anything.

NCLI
April 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I still think it would make Ubuntu feel less professional. You don't see ads in Windows Update, the Apple App Store, or the Android Market.

Marlonsm
April 26th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I don't think it would give a good impression for new users.
But if it's somehow related to your search, I can see it working. Not only getting money for Ubuntu, but also showing companies that commercial software for Linux is possible.

For example, if one day Adobe releases PS for Linux and I'm searching for an image editor, it could show PS as an alternative.

bowens44
April 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
it they did, I would never open it.

MichealH
April 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Its _open_ source! You shouldn't have to pay!

NCLI
April 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I don't think it would give a good impression for new users.
But if it's somehow related to your search, I can see it working. Not only getting money for Ubuntu, but also showing companies that commercial software for Linux is possible.

For example, if one day Adobe releases PS for Linux and I'm searching for an image editor, it could show PS as an alternative.

The current search algorithm would do that already, provided that it's in the Software Center. Why add an unnecessary ad?

swoll1980
April 26th, 2010, 09:47 PM
it they did, I would never open it.

Why are people so against companies making money? Ubuntu is free, but everything about it cost money to make. If Ubuntu doesn't start turning a profit, there will be no Ubuntu. I don't think it's unprofessional. Google shows us adds every time we search for something. Did you stop using google? I didn't.

wpLOL
April 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM

LOL

Yeah, this is a bad idea :(

Marlonsm
April 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM
The current search algorithm would do that already, provided that it's in the Software Center. Why add an unnecessary ad?

You're right, I forgot that they added support for paid software...

NCLI
April 26th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Why are people so against companies making money? Ubuntu is free, but everything about it cost money to make. If Ubuntu doesn't start turning a profit, there will be no Ubuntu. I don't think it's unprofessional. Google shows us adds every time we search for something. Did you stop using google? I didn't.

Canonical will be making money from the USC from 10.10 and onwards, as they add support for paid software. That should be enough, IMHO.

JamezQ
April 26th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Canonical will be making money from the USC from 10.10 and onwards, as they add support for paid software. That should be enough, IMHO.

I agree with this mostly.

But I would be ok with a single banner promoting a product. As long as it is static and has soft colors and is only on the first screen.

NCLI
April 26th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I agree with this mostly.

But I would be ok with a single banner promoting a product. As long as it is static and has soft colors and is only on the first screen.

This could be ok, but I'd rather have them use the available space at the bottom to promote a new, popular application.

Dayofswords
April 26th, 2010, 10:04 PM
instead of ads for other companys things

why not a text ad for Canonical services and store? front page select screen only

small, relevant, actually helpful.

eriktheblu
April 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Not an entirely bad idea.

I think the software center is really going to be what sets Ubuntu apart from other OSs. Thus far, such facilities are only in use with phones and iPods.

A proprietary software developer could vend directly to the end user without needing a middleman or additional advertising.

End users who need or prefer proprietary software would have an easier time adding it from the repos than executing whatever install binary the developer wrote.

It could potentially bring more user to Ubuntu, thereby increasing the number of programmers who would write Linux compatible software.

If the pay repository is kept separate (call it "Marketverse perhaps") it can be easily avoided or disabled by the OSS purists.

NCLI
April 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I've put together a mockup of the USC with a promoted application in the currently empty space, and one with Google ads. Choose for yourself :p

IMHO, neither looks terrible, though I still feel that the ads cheapen the USC.

WinterMadness
April 26th, 2010, 10:21 PM
if they did that I would absolutely never use Ubuntu again, nor would I recommend it.

beetleman64
April 26th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not against the idea, especially if it gets Canonical some extra money. There are definite possibilities with the Featured Applications and Partner Repositories, so let's wait and see.

It would be nice to live in a utopian, ad-free world, but in the world of free software, companies need to make money in whatever way they can.

beetleman64
April 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I've put together a mockup of the USC with a promoted application in the currently empty space, and one with Google ads. Choose for yourself :p

You're right, neither looks terrible and let's face it, it is inevitable.

Lightstar
April 26th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Ideas like this is what started popups and other things that we hate. They should have burned and never seen the light.

elliotbeken
April 26th, 2010, 10:52 PM
i agree with most people

this is not a good idea it will be slower and endup being full or crap

i would never like to see it happen....

tica vun
April 26th, 2010, 11:47 PM
As if people needed any more reasons to include

sudo apt-get remove --purge software-center

From their post-install script. The Software centre doesn't even add any functionality or convenience compared to Synaptic, or even aptitude. Why would I use it if it's not only less functional, but also more annoying?

MasterNetra
April 26th, 2010, 11:52 PM

Not necessarily, open source is about being able to do whatever you want with the software you get, not about making it cost free.

As if people needed any more reasons to include

sudo apt-get remove --purge software-center

From their post-install script. The Software centre doesn't even add any functionality or convenience compared to Synaptic, or even aptitude. Why would I use it if it's not only less functional, but also more annoying?

Software center is meant for newcomers to Linux to help make it more simple and easier for them to get and install apps. Not to mention there is a better descriptions for apps in it.
And as for the ads. As far as I'm concern, for as long as the ads aren't intrusive like pop-ups and are limited to a small boxed area off to the side of software center i could care less. I might glance at the add but if I don't care about it I'd ignore it.

murderslastcrow
April 26th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Lol, you know people would make a Software Center without the ads if they did.

I think, so long as it doesn't border on nagware or interrupt your user experience, it should be fine to try to make some sort of money. But as it stands, Canonical gets a lot of respect for not pushing their identity onto their users too hard.

tica vun
April 27th, 2010, 12:02 AM
But as it stands, Canonical gets a lot of respect for not pushing their identity onto their users too hard.

You do realise ubuntu is one of the most heavily branded distros (if not THE most heavily branded distro), right? I don't need to be reminded on every turn that I'm still using the least bad desktop-oriented distro.

blur xc
April 27th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I'm not going to say no, but this could go wrong in a lot of ways.

I quit using Windows Live Messenger on my windows computers becuse of the ad space... I found it horribly irritating.

BM

alexfish
April 27th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Could be a good idea

Have a Professional Software section , where you can buy software and only allow the advertising in said section,

As for OEM this would generate extra revenues and promote Ubuntu in ways not previously possible

Ps Don't care if I get shot down over this one.:lolflag:

handy
April 27th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Most of us will be blocking the ads anyway with Privoxy or Adblock Plus.

Doctor Mike
April 27th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Could be a good idea

Have a Professional Software section , where you can buy software and only allow the advertising in said section,

As for OEM this would generate extra revenues and promote Ubuntu in ways not previously possible

Ps Don't care if I get shot down over this one.:lolflag:
As long as there were reasonable restrictions upon the nature and content (no flash) it (ads) might be acceptable to most users. [off topic - or almost] Ubuntu should consider ad trades with companies that are partnered and or contributing to development. Yes in the forums, (no flash), one simple banner per page. Does it seem like so much to ask to get the word out about a great compilation? [/off topic]

alexfish
April 27th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Most of us will be blocking the ads anyway with Privoxy or Adblock Plus.

+ 1 for the dedicated :-1 and more for people looking for Professional software, but make that possible within the software centre

sudoer541
April 27th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I think its a good idea to have ads on USC...they will make more money!!!:P:)
I am sure if they are smart, they will implement it!!!!!!!!!!

alexfish
April 27th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I think its a good idea to have ads on USC...they will make more money!!!:P:)
I am sure if they are smart, they will implement it!!!!!!!!!!

Then possibly see less of this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1462668

It gripes me to see such posts and even more for those that vote Yes

Imagine what how much the revenues could advance this request

sudoer541
April 27th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Then possibly see less of this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1462668

It gripes me to see such posts and even more for those that vote Yes

Imagine what how much the revenues could advance this request

I think Gnome should be Canonical's main focus and they should ditch other *buntus cuz its a waste of time and money...I love money!!!!

murderslastcrow
April 27th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I do realize it is one of the most heavily branded. I am also aware that, unlike say OSX, you can just click a button to get a different package manager, theme, whatever, and it's all there for convenience, not necessity. It has its own flavor, and I believe the distros should diversify themselves from each other a bit more than they currently are, as long as the changes are made open. Too often people feel like they're on Ubuntu with Fedora, or using Debian when they're on a minimal slackware distro. It's all too alike, and Ubuntu is giving people a reason to use more than one distro.

I think it's a good thing, but they don't go as far as Apple, and most likely won't since they have made the Ubuntu Promise.

As soon as they void that promise, that's when I'm moving to another distribution. Just look at gNewSense and Linux Mint. We like Ubuntu, but not entirely, so here, have Ubuntu without the stuff you dislike.

So Canonical makes it unique and meaningfully easier to use, rather than becoming a null 'one-size-fits-all' distro.

alexfish
April 27th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I think Gnome should be Canonical's main focus and they should ditch other *buntus cuz its a waste of time and money...I love money!!!!

I would think most home users and corporate users would recognise Gnome has it's advantages , but for the technophiles KDE does have some advantages ,

PS: do you make much with that bagpipe thing, or is a space gun to shoot the technophiles :guitar:

dgw
April 27th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I would switch to a different distro if they did this. There are a lot of ways Canonical can make money, ads would be the worst.

KiwiNZ
April 27th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Heaven forbid that the company that provides the servers, sponsors the Developer conferences,Distributed thousands of free CD,s free around the Globe etc etc etc should try to recoup some of the costs.:rolleyes:

Doctor Mike
April 27th, 2010, 02:20 AM
heaven forbid that the company that provides the servers, sponsors the developer conferences,distributed thousands of free cd,s free around the globe etc etc etc should try to recoup some of the costs.:rolleyes:+1

3rdalbum
April 27th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Just a thought.

No no no no! Don't even THINK about it!

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/screenshots/images/power.gif

The grey squares in that image are where ads appear. It's possibly the most obnoxious-looking piece of software ever.

Don't turn our lovely Software Center into Videora!

However if developers want to pay to have their software in Featured Applications, that's going to be better for the developers and much less obnoxious.

JOHNNYG713
April 27th, 2010, 02:28 AM
NO . We do no not need that in OUR O/S ! Leave them find there money where they can ! I don't need Gieco telling me to buy there insurance, when I want to install ADBLOCK PLUSE!!! NO!

Khakilang
April 27th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Than I would install Adblock Plus to block all the ads. Seriously the ads should be on the website with a link provided in the Ubuntu Software Centre. I do not want the USC cluttered with all the ads. I think Canonical have the right to recover the cost of developing such a great Distro. I believe they deserve some reward or some sorts.

As for end user, they have a choice to choose to pay or not to pay.

3rdalbum
April 27th, 2010, 02:47 AM

Yeah, or it could end off like this:

http://www.chrislees.info/USC-ads.jpg

Ric_NYC
April 27th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I like the idea:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9585/acme.png

gunnarlinux
April 27th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Sorry but thats a terrible idea.

Doctor Mike
April 27th, 2010, 03:34 AM
~

lucasta
April 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Definitely a bad idea IMHO. I understand how the extra money could help, but I think that it would probably snowball into Ubuntu becoming completely commercial

Viva
April 27th, 2010, 08:27 AM
adware?

3rdalbum
April 27th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I like the idea:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9585/acme.png

lol that's pretty funny, I wouldn't mind that!

asddf
April 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Ads would be a terrible idea, and would properly end Ubuntu.

fatality_uk
April 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think it's a great idea and will whole heartedly support it.

Where's that sarcasm smiley?

-grubby
April 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Where's that sarcasm smiley?

You mean the SarcMark (TM)?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5302031/images/sarcasm.png

As for the thread, I appreciate Canonical recouping it's costs but a banner ad in a desktop application is not something I tolerate. Text ads on the other hand would be fine.

swoll1980
April 27th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The mock up with the ads by Google looks fine. If that would generate revenue for more aggressive development, would it really be so bad? I think big banner ads would be a bit much, but the google links are unobtrusive, and people are so use to seeing those I can't see how it would hurt anything.

MasterNetra
April 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
The mock up with the ads by Google looks fine. If that would generate revenue for more aggressive development, would it really be so bad? I think big banner ads would be a bit much, but the google links are unobtrusive, and people are so use to seeing those I can't see how it would hurt anything.

+1

Might lose some whiners but then again is that really a loss?

eriktheblu
April 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
The Lucid Software Center already has ads in the form of the recommended software feature.

The difference between advertising OSS and paid software is philosophical rather than functional.

I sincerely look forward to the day I will be able to purchase programs from the USC. This is probably the best way to bring quality developers to the Linux market, especially game developers.

I am a consumer; I buy things. I buy food, I buy windshield wiper fluid, and I buy software. If the producers do not communicate the existence and features of their products, I will often be left with fewer choices. I used various hair gells for years before I discovered Krew Comb. Krew Comb is exponentially superior for my hair style but since it is not advertised I never knew it existed. I want companies to advertise so I can be a better informed consumer.

What I don't want is irrelevant advertising. When I'm looking for software, show me software that might solve my problem. Don't sell me a cheeseburger when I need an oil filter. Any business with half a brain knows this.

Canonical is not dumb. I sincerely doubt they would try to turn Ubuntu into a giant ad-OS. Relevant software advertised unobtrusively in the software center would benefit Ubuntu (with revenue) and the user (with options).

swoll1980
April 27th, 2010, 06:40 PM
+1

Might lose some whiners but then again is that really a loss?

Generally whiners don't do anything, but wine anyways.

Doctor Mike
April 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Generally whiners don't do anything, but wine anyways.OK let's have a glass... Opps wrong kind of wine... Can you blame me there are 3 kinds to choose from... Sorry 4. Unified kernel...

BrokenKingpin
April 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I would hate to have add in any desktop application. If they did that, I would remove it instantly. I have no problem with them trying to make money, but this is not the way to go about it.

gemmakaru
April 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Nooooooo

alexfish
April 27th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Nooooooo

it's Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong.

Groucho Marxist
April 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Exactly; be careful what you wish for.

swoll1980
April 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Exactly; be careful what you wish for.

We have already established that this is a bad thing.

Rainulf
April 27th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Man we're so damn selfish. lol I feel bad for Canonical. =/

Doctor Mike
April 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
We have already established that this is a bad thing.
No. We've established that traditional (in your face) advertising is unwelcome. This still leaves room for a user option to toggle ads on or off. A notification pop up (during update) requiring the user to choose the default would make sure there were no surprises.

So, if a person does not wish to contribute in this manner it would not be forced upon them. Choice... choice to allow ads to support development... choice to opt out... choice to toggle between ads and no ads...

If I'm going to make a purchase anyway I'll consider price, but I'll also consider who's selling it to me.

Do you think it would be such a bad thing to have a small gif, jpg or other (with link) that says today's forum sponsor is ____** ----?

As long as the user has the ability to toggle this option on or off (in the SC or on the forum) there will be strong motivation to make sure ads are non-intrusive and tasteful. I would also suggest making such ads reasonably small, no animation and nothing that has not been pre-approved.

The perception that ad = bad has developed over the years because of poor implementation and some advertisers having no regard what-so-ever for their target audience. I wish people would look past the surface and consider what is beneficial, unobtrusive and practical.

alexfish
April 28th, 2010, 01:46 PM
No. We've established that traditional (in your face) advertising is unwelcome. This still leaves room for a user option to toggle ads on or off. A notification pop up (during update) requiring the user to choose the default would make sure there were no surprises.

So, if a person does not wish to contribute in this manner it would not be forced upon them. Choice... choice to allow ads to support development... choice to opt out... choice to toggle between ads and no ads...

If I'm going to make a purchase anyway I'll consider price, but I'll also consider who's selling it to me.

Do you think it would be such a bad thing to have a small gif, jpg or other (with link) that says today's forum sponsor is ____** ----?

As long as the user has the ability to toggle this option on or off (in the SC or on the forum) there will be strong motivation to make sure ads are non-intrusive and tasteful. I would also suggest making such ads reasonably small, no animation and nothing that has not been pre-approved.

The perception that ad = bad has developed over the years because of poor implementation and some advertisers having no regard what-so-ever for their target audience. I wish people would look past the surface and consider what is beneficial, unobtrusive and practical.

Well put . just about sums it up

+9

Never give 10's

scottuss
April 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
This is a terrible idea. For many reasons, I prefer to use Ubuntu / a derivative. I'd have to switch to Mint most likely.

I want Canonical to make a profit, but not with advertising in Ubuntu

Foster Grant
April 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I'm talking about a little box in the app that shows adds. Nothing that would slow down downloads, or anything.

So ... you would make it adware.

And isn't one of the selling points of Ubuntu and Linux in general the lack of adware? Yes, it certainly is.

This is a horrible idea.

You're right, neither looks terrible and let's face it, it is inevitable.

It is by no means inevitable. And they do in fact look terrible.

I quit using Windows Live Messenger on my windows computers becuse of the ad space... I found it horribly irritating.

BM

It's also why I dropped AOL's version of AIM back when I used Windows PCs and Macs.

Why are people so against companies making money? Ubuntu is free, but everything about it cost money to make. If Ubuntu doesn't start turning a profit, there will be no Ubuntu.

Does Gentoo turn a profit? And yet there is Gentoo. Does Arch Linux turn a profit? And yet there is Arch Linux. Does Debian turn a profit? And yet there is Debian.

alexfish
April 28th, 2010, 04:56 PM
This is a terrible idea. For many reasons, I prefer to use Ubuntu / a derivative. I'd have to switch to Mint most likely.

I want Canonical to make a profit, but not with advertising in Ubuntu

Linux Mint ?

MM! you want Canonical to make a profit , in real world they will have to ,

No Canonical = No Further Developments of Ubuntu , Mint or any other Derivative

If you don't agree with the Thread Title , What avenues do you think are possible to generate capital , bear in mind there is already OEM '

Forgot to add:

No Canonical = A new player in the field , would you trust them as much as you could trust Canonical

Foster Grant
April 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
If you don't agree with the Thread Title , What avenues do you think are possible to generate capital , bear in mind there is already OEM '

Sell support, training and consulting services. This works. Ask Red Hat, which also gives its Linux distro away for free (as Fedora) and turned a US$78.7 million profit in 2009.

Canonical pulls in annual gross revenue well into eight figures left of the decimal point, by the way. It's tiny compared to Red Hat, which employs nine times as many people as Canonical.

Roasted
April 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Paid software in the software center is one thing... which would ultimately attract developers to make commercial applications for Linux that can in turn be easily accessible by users who need those applications (among all of the free/open source applications we all know and love) which ultimately is a win win for everybody. Developer makes money because of more exposure/Canonical makes money because of it being in the Ubuntu Software Center/user wins because user has easy access to whatever pay software they need.

But adding ads in Ubuntu? Wow. Really? In the shreeking voice of the crazy price guy on Staples commercials:

"WOW! That's a bad idea!"

Ubuntu can easily survive without turning its operating system into a big ad-*****. It has for this many years - and it can continue to do so. Making money can be done through other avenues in a more sensible fashion without adding any nag-ware to its platform.

Rasa1111
April 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
ads in software center...that in absolutely terrible thought.
very stupid idea
thumbs way down.

yeah, more ads for meaningless junk please!
are you serious?

dont get enough of those all over the internet eh?

ad space in USC, doh.
http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

alexfish
April 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Paid software in the software center is one thing... which would ultimately attract developers to make commercial applications for Linux that can in turn be easily accessible by users who need those applications (among all of the free/open source applications we all know and love) which ultimately is a win win for everybody. Developer makes money because of more exposure/Canonical makes money because of it being in the Ubuntu Software Center/user wins because user has easy access to whatever pay software they need.

But adding ads in Ubuntu? Wow. Really? In the shreeking voice of the crazy price guy on Staples commercials:

Ubuntu can easily survive without turning its operating system into a big ad-*****. It has for this many years - and it can continue to do so. Making money can be done through other avenues in a more sensible fashion without adding any nag-ware to its platform.

So the Paid software is acceptable providing it is available in the Software Center IE downloadable and installing from were you sit .
What about applications and the like which can't be done this way . and I am not Talking about downloading the latest Fast Car or The Life Time Trip to the Moon.

swoll1980
April 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Does Gentoo turn a profit? And yet there is Gentoo. Does Arch Linux turn a profit? And yet there is Arch Linux. Does Debian turn a profit? And yet there is Debian.

Ubuntu is innovative. This kind of creative development cost money. these distros are virtually unusable to 99% of the world. If these distros were Linux, almost all of us wouldn't be here right now.

Doctor Mike
April 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Funny, it was just yesterday a guy from the computer department at Staples (in the store) was asking me a lot of questions about Ubuntu. He was more than interested, because it seems that his manager and many other managers are starting to recognize the potential of something like Ubuntu.

I told him he would be wise to suggest that a least one regional rep get certified by Canonical so that staff could be trained in installation and support.

So let's take an optimistic ride through the hypothetical...

1. Noob visits forum and sees small Staples banner with "Ubuntu Easy Button".
2. Noob says, "I don't know Ubuntu, but I know Staples".
3. Ad link brings noob to web site where he discovers he can buy a PC with Ubuntu and maybe a half dozen other variations and distributions.
4. He discovers there's tech support and answers to his questions (first person).
5. He may also discover the PC costs a little less and could be setup to run other OS software.

Any large company would be happy to exploit a 1-3% market especially if it was showing signs of taking off.

The real question is whether the majority of Linux users want to remain unique and obscure.

Would an easy button ad on the forum bother me? Not at all and if it led the noob user to choice and helped to sustain an intelligent direction, what (F)ing harm is done?

By the way the idea of a 'shouting' ad has never been serious proposed by anyone I know.............................................. ..............:confused:

Roasted
April 28th, 2010, 09:55 PM
So the Paid software is acceptable providing it is available in the Software Center IE downloadable and installing from were you sit .
What about applications and the like which can't be done this way . and I am not Talking about downloading the latest Fast Car or The Life Time Trip to the Moon.

There's a whole bunch of logistics that can go into that category, but the ultimate side of it is, let's say Adobe creates Photoshop for Linux. Sure, you can download the .tar.gz and compile it or whatever. Or you can get the Deb package for Debian based distros assuming they exist, sure. Or Adobe could pay a few bucks for a spot in the software center, user buys Photoshop from there, Canonical makes a few dollars on the sale, Adobe makes a truckload since Photoshop costs more than a heart transplant, and user makes off with an easily completed purchase + download.

I would like to see Ubuntu go this route as opposed to ad space within the operating system itself. Gosh. I just dry heave thinking about ads in Ubuntu... I mean just think about opening a program (software center or whatever) and oh hi there ***** enlargement ad/free iPod ad/etc.

No. Just... no.

Foster Grant
April 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Ubuntu is innovative. This kind of creative development cost money. these distros are virtually unusable to 99% of the world. If these distros were Linux, almost all of us wouldn't be here right now.

Debian and Arch are not unusable by any means. Perhaps you should try them. :) And Canonical makes lots of money, as previously noted.

When Shuttleworth established Canonical, he also established the Ubuntu Foundation with an initial endowment of US$10 million. Neither Canonical nor the foundation are hurting for cash; I figure that thanks to the miracle of compounded interest the foundation is sitting on US$14 million. Frankly, none of what you've proposed is either necessary or a good idea.

Ubuntu isn't going broke and isn't going away.

Doctor Mike
April 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
How much money does it take to produce one solid application?

Do we have a solid sound editor?
How many other areas are in need of, or wanting attention?
Does anyone believe this can be done without the assistance of full time programmers?

Does Linux need to remain the underdog? Never a complete desktop? Not a viable commercial workstation?

I'm not knocking volunteer work, but Ubuntu and Linux in general need help.

One team of 5 programmers, for one year, will cost $500,000.00 if your lucky.

Multiply that by the number of areas that need attention.

How far do you think 14 million would go if money were allocated for all areas in need.

You would have a large negative sum.

I'm not talking about being the best, or trying to compete head on with the big boys. I'm only talking about being a complete and fully functional desktop. With the attitudes I see hear this will only happen if and when it suites corporate partners, based on their needs.

Every reasonable approach to funding must be explored and implemented. Anything less would be a waste of time.

In other words, those of you who want your cake and eat it too better start baking the cakes.

Doctor Mike
April 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I'm not a Reaver or a swamp thing, but as concerned citizen of these forums... I think our personal choices' have gotten in the way of our desire for freedom.

Freedom has never been free. It's costs are untold.

If you truly desire a future that includes the freedom of choice, think past your preconceptions about capitalism/ communism / socialism...

All of these systems are limited controls put in place (mostly) by people who are trying to maximize gain VS. loss (human). They care about their people and they care about how they go about doing that.

Our failure to look past our limited condition on a fragile planet has led us to egotism and self importance. Community is the only intelligent and meaningful direction toward a greater community.

How would you feel if we were all facing an alien threat?

I know of none ///, but it's a great example of the lack of cooperation which has led to the fall of many empires. We as a community have a small chance to change the world. If that's not worth putting ideology aside than nothing is. Community, tolerance and acceptance grow from intelligent interaction. How much brain power are you willing to offer? How much tolerance can you afford to loose?

If none of the above, I would suggest you go away and leave serious thought to those who make an effort to think.

Yes rant + or - 1

caroherzberger
April 29th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Lol, you know people would make a Software Center without the ads if they did.

I think, so long as it doesn't border on nagware or interrupt your user experience, it should be fine to try to make some sort of money. But as it stands, Canonical gets a lot of respect for not pushing their identity onto their users too hard.

Yeah i like! :guitar:

Doctor Mike
April 30th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Sell support, training and consulting services. This works. Ask Red Hat, which also gives its Linux distro away for free (as Fedora) and turned a US$78.7 million profit in 2009. [desktop free no.............]

Canonical pulls in annual gross revenue well into eight figures left of the decimal point, by the way. It's tiny compared to Red Hat, which employs nine times as many people as Canonical.No... not because it makes sense... not because it doesn't make money, at least not enough. It makes less sense than is needed and that's the reason why the issue is here.

Not because you like it, but because it needs to be addressed.

This is a Linux issue not just a Ubuntu issue.

swoll1980
April 30th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Debian and Arch are not unusable by any means. Perhaps you should try them. :) And Canonical makes lots of money, as previously noted.

When Shuttleworth established Canonical, he also established the Ubuntu Foundation with an initial endowment of US$10 million. Neither Canonical nor the foundation are hurting for cash; I figure that thanks to the miracle of compounded interest the foundation is sitting on US$14 million. Frankly, none of what you've proposed is either necessary or a good idea.

Ubuntu isn't going broke and isn't going away.

I have tried them. I don't think I'm like most PC users. I'm a computer science student, and a computer enthusiast. I have been using Linux, and Microsoft for several years. The numbers speak for them self. Ubuntu's easy installation, and configuration has brought Linux to millions of people that would have never tried it else wise. Canonical isn't in this for its health. They are trying to make money, and if they don't turn a profit. they are not going to keep sinking money into it.