PDA

View Full Version : Google desktop! ?????

jason.b.c
March 18th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Anybody in here happen to be using google desktop in windows? :confused: Problably dual booting! The reason why i ask is it's doing something stupid!
I don't know why or how but now for some reason whenever ( actually Right now ) i type something and press the following keys " ' ? /:mad:
i get the google desktop search bar down at the bottom of my browser, ( firefox 1.5.1 ) then i get all screwed up and have to back track and figure out how to stop it long enough just to be able finish typing.

Anybody got a clue as to how i could disable that desktop search bar without having to mess with anything else?:) :confused:

K.Mandla
March 18th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Sorry, I can't help with that. I used Google Desktop a little bit at work, but our tech team learned it was caching local documents to the Internet without really telling us. (Or so they said. :confused: ) They still use it as a search monkey for our archive system, but it's isolated from the net now.

tmahmood
March 18th, 2006, 09:44 AM
As much I know Google Desktop 3 Actually caches some file to the Internet so that you can access the files from anywhere, this is a new feature in GDS 3. It actually caches file in your mail account(As I remember) and I think you can turn it off.

@jason.b.c google desktop places an Icon in the sys tray. you can shut it down from there.. or you can close the toolbar right clicking the toolbar. or you can goto google Desktop preference and turn of Desktop Search Bar.
Hope this helps

K.Mandla
March 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
That's probably right. I shouldn't knock GD since I never really got into the swing of it. All I know is our tech team sweeping down in a panic trying to make sure it hadn't sent anything important out to the Internet. :D It was kind of cute to watch.

klahjn
March 18th, 2006, 10:05 AM
That's probably right. I shouldn't knock GD since I never really got into the swing of it. All I know is our tech team sweeping down in a panic trying to make sure it hadn't sent anything important out to the Internet. :D It was kind of cute to watch.

makes you want to run around with a boombox yelling "Dance Monkeys Dance!!!"
I personally laugh when our company's pc's windows boxes go down, but the solaris 2.6 system they use stands there like a rock goin "whut the problem?"

fuscia
March 18th, 2006, 03:33 PM
and press the following keys " ' ? /

do you mean in combination, or any one of those keys by themselves? if the former, i have to wonder if this is just an issue of personal freedom. if the latter, i'm sorry i can't be of any help.

s_spiff
March 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
okay..completely offtopic..but is there a google talk for linux? or can it be run in ubuntu just like that? or would i need wine and the sorts?

sudomania4
March 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Back when i used Google Desktop, I doulbe-clicked the icon, and it brought up a page resembling google.com. There was a "preferences" link in the upper right of the page. Scrolling down the preferences page was an option that allowed you to select Google Desktop being shown in the Start menu panel, or the Google Sidebar, or never display any google search bar. Select the last option (i think) and it should solve your problem. However, I never used Google Desktop 3, just Google Desktop 2, and its been a while.

goto google Desktop preference and turn of Desktop Search Bar.
this is what im trying to say, i just saw this. Hope this helps!

jason.b.c
March 19th, 2006, 02:33 AM
do you mean in combination, or any one of those keys by themselves? if the former, i have to wonder if this is just an issue of personal freedom. if the latter, i'm sorry i can't be of any help.

any one of those keys by themselves?

Ya, When you press any of the keys by themselves.:(

i have to wonder if this is just an issue of personal freedom.

Ha Ha Ha:rolleyes:

i'm sorry i can't be of any help.

Anybody else ???? :(

ubuntu27
March 19th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Well, this is kind of off-topic but, for those who dosn't know, Google is making copies of all files in your HD.

February 09, 2006
Google Copies Your Hard Drive - Government Smiles in Anticipation

Link: http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2006_02.php

http://news.com.com/FAQ+When+Google+is+not+your+friend/2100-1025_3-6034666.html?tag=nl

RussianMan
April 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
In my Ubuntu 7.10 after hibernate Google Desktop does not work.
How to fix this? I want to restart Google Desktop Search automatically after hibernate.

RussianMan
April 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Help me. Please!

RussianMan
April 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Google Desktop is not alone and starts every time I have to run it manually. How can I fix this?

buried
April 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM
try installing beagle instead

sudo apt-get install beagle
and

sudo apt-get remove googledesktop
and then install it agian or if you have a .deb click it and unistall.

RussianMan
April 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I tried Beagle but he also had a problem with the support of the Russian language. Some Russian-speaking files are not indexed.
At the Russian-language forum Ubuntu, I advised Google Desktop.