PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Shortcut on Desktop lost icon

ndrli
April 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Hi,

I create a shortcut on desktop so when it is clicked, the program will run.
The desktop file contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=
Comment=
GenericName=
Exec=
Icon=

Everything was ok for Ubuntu 9.04, but when I upgrade to Utuntu 9.1, the icon does not show. What do I need to do to show the icon?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ajgreeny
April 26th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Icons on the desktop from one version of ubuntu do not often work in a new version, in my experience. Just delete the old one and make a new one, or if it is an application already in the menus, simply drag it to copy it to the desktop.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your problem, but that seems to be what you mean.

ndrli
April 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Icons on the desktop from one version of ubuntu do not often work in a new version, in my experience. Just delete the old one and make a new one, or if it is an application already in the menus, simply drag it to copy it to the desktop.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your problem, but that seems to be what you mean.

Sorry I did not make it clear.

I created the desktop file programmaly in an installation program. I would like to know the syntax of the "[Desktop Entry]" section of the desktop file for Ubuntu 9.1. So I can update my installation program.

Thanks anyway.

ndrli
April 26th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I created menu item successfully. It works for both Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.1. It is a .desktop file. When I use mouse to drag (copy) the menu item to the Desktop. It works fine and the icon is shown. But when I programmatically copy the .desktop file to Desktop directory under home directory. It works (when clicked), but the icon is not shown. Anyone know what do I miss?

Thanks.