PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mark Bad Sectors and Install Ubuntu

arjunbajaj
April 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hey Guys,

I have an old hard disk in my computer - 250 GB - i have been using it since 2 years. Now it has some physical bad sectors. I have data on 2 partitions but i can remove that data also and i had windows on the primary partition before formatting the drive.

I want to mark the bad sectors of that hard disk and then install ubuntu 9.10 on it. i tried installing it but then it wasn't working properly. Is there any way to mark the bad sectors first and then install ubuntu on it....

:):confused::confused::confused:.....thnx.....:con fused::confused::confused::)

thebigob
April 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Sorry I cannot answer this question specifically however a possible solution would be to use the fsck command in order to repair the disk.

You can boot from a live cd and run the command in a terminal to hopefully repair the bad sectors

paulisdead
April 26th, 2010, 02:51 PM
The drive manufacturer's testing tools might have a feature like that available. You can typically find them on the site of whoever made the drive, in the form of a bootable ISO. What you should do, is run the manufacturer's tests, and see if you get an error code from the drive. If the drive is only 2 years old, it's probably in warranty. With that error code you should be able to get an RMA and send it back to whoever made it for a replacement.

arjunbajaj
April 28th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Thanks guys........I finally did it......I changed the drive sectors and installed ubuntu on sda2 and i managed to get ubuntu up and running on it........Now its giving me no errors.......thnx........:)