PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu-desktop developers, donations.

Drenriza
April 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Well i coden't stop wondering.

I know that some ubuntu developers and projects. Needs funding to keep going, as just part-time. So what i'am wondering, is their a main-website where you can donate to multiple projects. Without going into every driffent project and donate on their personal website.

Because a centralized funding website with easy access and the ability to fund a project without looking for a funding bar. Its just their when you enter the site with a small discription of the project.

Would for me, make sence and i would believe that driffent projects would get more fundings this way. So is their such a site? For the ubuntu distro.

Thanks on advance.
Kind regards.

Drenriza
April 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
bump

NCLI
April 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Nope, you'll have to go to the hjemmeside of the application you want to receive the funding, then donate there. It does sound like an idea though...

madjr
April 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
gnome projects are always looking for extra funding..

also the projects hosted at http://sourceforge.net/ are always looking for donations

dmengo
April 29th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Why bother? Desktop Linux won't go anywhere until the for-profit companies pour money into software development specifically for Linux. Just look at where the money comes from for Linux kernel development. It comes from commercial sources.

Your donation would just be a drop in the bucket.

kevin01123
April 29th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Why bother? Desktop Linux won't go anywhere until the for-profit companies pour money into software development specifically for Linux. Just look at where the money comes from for Linux kernel development. It comes from commercial sources.

"A free operating system? No one would ever be interested. UNIX is worth the money anyway, and no project hacked together in someone's spare time could ever get anywhere."

Drenriza
April 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM
So if you can get enough funding for a compani to hire 1 guy full time for a project. Is that nothing, in your opinion? Just an example.

Sure it would be nice if companies like Apple, Microsoft, Blizzard Entertainment, Asus, Western Digital, Intel, AMD/ATI would pour a big sum of money into desktop. But i wouldnt count on it.

And i wouldnt wait for it either. If they do they do, if they don't they don't.

Drenriza
April 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Thats intersting. But if you could get 1.000 people to donate each lets say 3$ each month. wouldnt that be something? That would be = to a person doing part time. If you say they earn 6.000 a month.

So if you can get the 1.000 people to donate 6$ or get 2.000 people to donate 3$ each month. Then you got yourself your first full time person.
This is maybe not much. But a start maybe. And i would believe its ridicliously possible to accomplish.

And i wouldnt mind taking on such a project. IF i could get a little help from the community with driffent stuff.

ssj6akshat
April 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Donate to GIMP and help them surpass Photoshop.Instead of useless blabbering that GIMP is inferior to Photoshop if we all donate a small amount,I think we can surpass Photoshop.

Drenriza
April 29th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Donate to GIMP and help them surpass Photoshop..

Both gimp & open office, are two key applications that the ubuntu desktop MUST have to be intersting to the majority of people.

Open office must be at a level where it can match MS office.
Gimp must be at a level where it can match Photoshop.

This is pure facts.

if we all donate a small amount,I think we can surpass Photoshop.
Sure this in its own is true. But if you dont put it into some sort of a "system" then i dont believe it will be in for the long run. And the only thing that matters is the long run. Short term saloutions are failed before they start.

Knowle
April 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
@OP

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

http://www.gnome.org/friends/

http://www.kde.org/community/donations/

Drenriza
April 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
as i see these 3 links.

#1 is for donating to ubuntu = Canonical. They dont need it.
#2 is for the gnome windows manager
#3 is for the KDE windows manager

What sucks about these 3. Is that you need to plaste 3 seperate links to donate to all 3 projects.

I want 1 link, 1 program or 1 something else. I do not want to go to 3 driffent websites and find 3 driffent donation buttons. and do it all 3 times.

The point in this thread, is that i want 1 website or 1 program to do this.
Nobody want to do it the other way around. And thats what decrease the donation rate (in my opinion)