PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and Windows 7 install help

Mrs Twaddle
April 26th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I've been an ubuntu user for a few years now.

I installed in on my main pc, then added a windows xp partition so the kids could still play their games. I'm not expert, but i enjoy a good fiddle and can work my way around ok.

I recently acquired a windows 7 laptop.... I really don't get on with windows 7, I find it completely unfriendly. So I want to put ubuntu on it, as a dual boot partition.
I have to keep windows 7 on it, as my husband is using the laptop too, and he is a pc noob and won't even try linux.

Anyway, whats the best way to install with windows already in place. I've never done it this way around, and am nervous about messing up his precious windows and having to reinstall it.

I currently only have ubuntu 8.10 on disc.
From what I can gather I just defrag windows, chuck the disc in, click install, and resize my windows partition, then install ubuntu on the new empty partition.
and it does the rest for me.

Also, can I keep windows as the default boot os, as noobhubby will probably only whinge if he has to use grub to select it.

Thanks for all your help.
:guitar:

andrewthomas
April 26th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I would suggest that you resize the windows partition from within windows in order to make room for ubuntu.

If you have any problems with the shrink try this tip:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

mikewhatever
April 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM
There really isn't the best way.
1. Resize the W7 partition.
2. Boot from the Ubuntu cd and, at the partitioning stage, select 'Use the largest continuous space'.

I'd also suggest installing a newer version, as 8.10 is reaching its EOL at the end of the month.

As for making W7 boot by default, check out the link below (Karmic and later).

http://www.joewein.net/blog/2009/11/28/fix-windows-as-default-boot-on-ubuntu-9-10-with-grub2-loader/

Mrs Twaddle
April 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I actually wanted windows to be in the largest space. It has a 150gig hard drive, i was going to give 50gig at most to linux.
I'll look into downloading a new version of ubuntu to disc too.

thank you.