PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Which ubuntu variant as FTP server?

juky
April 26th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Hello,

I will set up a machine which will be used as FTP server, consuming a lot of bandwidth, with lots of users. Can you please suggest which ubuntu variant to install in order not to consume too much PC resources (in a way that will not affect throughput)?

Ubuntu, kubuntu, edbuntu, xbuntu? And which version (8.04, 9.10, or latest 10.04)?

Thanks in advance,
juky

micio
April 26th, 2010, 08:23 AM
ubuntu-server would be the best deal, but if you need a desktop environment, Xfce is the lightest!

Dayofswords
April 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM
to really reduce it, you could build up from mini

and if you really want a gui you could do openbox or lxde

juky
April 26th, 2010, 11:32 AM
So, Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Can you please recommend which one of those two?

Dayofswords
April 27th, 2010, 08:54 PM
lubuntu if you really want a gui

xubuntu is a bit heavier

juky
April 28th, 2010, 10:12 AM
lubuntu if you really want a gui

xubuntu is a bit heavier

Thanks for the answer. Does Lubuntu distribution comes with drivers inside or not? Can I install packages from Synaptic Package Manager like in Ubuntu or it is necessary to be done manually?

3rdalbum
April 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the answer. Does Lubuntu distribution comes with drivers inside or not? Can I install packages from Synaptic Package Manager like in Ubuntu?

Of course! The only thing that's different is the default GUI and a couple of programs. The repositories are still exactly the same, and everything underneath the desktop environment is still exactly the same, including drivers.

Bachstelze
April 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
which ubuntu variant to install in order not to consume too much PC resources (in a way that will not affect throughput)?

Anything you could install would probably not affect throughput. Your NIC will be maxed out long before your CPU or RAM, or even hard disk.