PDA

View Full Version : eeePad confirmed for july, to be the ipad killer

madjr
April 26th, 2010, 07:12 AM
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100423PD207.html

price range is about the same (US$479-510), but hardware is remarkably better (dual core ARM Cortex A9, Nvidia tegra2, camera, usb, Google optimized android, expandable memory, ability to further install custom distros and/or ChromeOS, etc.)

Will do 1080p video and full speed flash unlike the ipad

docking station + keyboard to be available

will be much better then the expensive $800 model, but will roughly cost the same as the cheapest ipad

by july android could have almost 100,000 apps. Many games to be available. Tegra2 can even run Unreal3 engine.

estimated shipments may reach 300,000 units for the rest of 2010

others like MSI are waiting on Asus to drive up the market before launching their own planned competitor, just like with the eeepc

Nvidia Tegra2 in action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOTcs-effU)

Dayofswords
April 26th, 2010, 07:22 AM
...but can it fit in a manila envelope?:-k

Paqman
April 26th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Interesting, although i'm a bit surprised they haven't tried to pitch it in at a lower price for a slightly reduced spec.

andras artois
April 26th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Pictures?

AllRadioisDead
April 26th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I don't get all this Tablet hype. I'll stick with my netbook.

dragos240
April 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Me neither. Fads come and go. Some make little to no sense. This is no exception. My netbook is fine. This is my last post of the week. :(

insane_alien
April 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM
i'll probably get a pad for my carputer, the keyboard of the netbook i use just now is just too hard to use when in motion(not by me, of course, but passengers)

P4man
April 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM

I dont see it as a replacement for a netbook. Whenever you need to enter data (email, word processing, etc), a tablet will fall flat on its face.

However, I do see the appeal of having one laying around in the living room to complement your existing laptop and/or desktop, to quickly search something on the web, shared browsing with friends, watch photo's or stream tv or do skype video calls in the kitchen (if you got a cradle, or a tablet you can stick to the fridge (http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/))

If you already got a netbook, you may say it can do all of that, and I wont really disagree, but if you got a clumsier notebook because you need bigger screen/keyboard, a tablet makes a nice compliment to it IMHO. It should just be cheaper, more like €200.

P4man
April 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
By the way:

price range is about the same (US$479-510),

after bundling with telecom carrier services,

Thats a big difference. After bundling an iphone costs $199 or so?

LMP900
April 26th, 2010, 01:18 PM
If something is described as a "killer," it usually means that it has already lost. Remember during the early iPhone days when every crappy touchscreen phone was dubbed the iPhone-killer? Now, people seem to have given up trying to kill the iPhone and have come up with even better products.

I hope more of these tablets are released. I think P4man got it right: These are complements to your desktops or laptops, not replacements. Tablets lack features, but what they do, they do very well (e.g. browsing, speed, battery life).

madjr
April 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
By the way:

after bundling with telecom carrier services,

Thats a big difference. After bundling an iphone costs $199 or so?

same is done with the ipad

but the eeepad is much better specs

cant speculate on the price, have to wait and see, specially when competition appears all over the place, right after Asus (Msi, Acer, Dell, HP, lenovo, etc.)

madjr
April 26th, 2010, 04:16 PM

in this video you can see some advantages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlOTcs-effU

each one has it's pros

Asus doesnt want to kill one line for the other, each is intended to different markets

pad are more oriented for entertainment and design, while netbooks are more portable but usually less powerful.