PDA

View Full Version : About windows xp...

aklo
April 26th, 2010, 12:38 AM
I know this is probably the worst place to ask for things on windows but this is the only forum account i have and to save the trouble of signing up on other forums...so here goes...

Alright i have an original copy of win xp. I am still using it for dual booting but a friend of mines says if i can install for him using my copy of win xp...So i told him it is illegal but he says he won't be connecting to the internet as his mom would only like to play games like solitaire.

So the question is: If anybody remembers, do i need an internet connection to activate windows? If i am not wrong, even with an original cd key, i still have to verify online or else there will only be a trial version of windows...but i'm not sure since it has been quite sometime since i install windows.

In a worst case scenario if we get an internet connection, how can windows determine if a cd has been used before? As far as i remembered, i've install my windows xp with original cd for 5-6 times over the past 10 years due to reformatting and i do not have to call any hotline to reactivate it.

Note: This is not pirating softwares i just feel that to play games like solitaire, nobody needs to buy a new windows disk if no work is being done no the computer.

Shpongle
April 26th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Yes you have to register as far as i can remember , either by phone or online.

aklo
April 26th, 2010, 12:54 AM
What if they are on different computers?

Mine is currently using of the original cd key, what if i use them on my friend's computer and go online? because i never needed to do anything everytime i format my comp...will it treat my friend's computer as another of my "Formatted" computer?

Just need to make sure before i go down to his house later.

NightwishFan
April 26th, 2010, 01:10 AM
No, its illegal and you need to register it with Microsoft. Solitare? Give them Ubuntu. ;)

MasterNetra
April 26th, 2010, 01:13 AM
What if they are on different computers?

Mine is currently using of the original cd key, what if i use them on my friend's computer and go online? because i never needed to do anything everytime i format my comp...will it treat my friend's computer as another of my "Formatted" computer?

Just need to make sure before i go down to his house later.

Umm if his mom only plays things like solitaire, then why not install Ubuntu instead? Ubuntu comes with a card game called AisleRiot Solitaire?

No, its illegal and you need to register it with Microsoft. Solitare? Give them Ubuntu. ;)

lol I was too slow.

drreed
April 26th, 2010, 01:38 AM
As everyone else has pointed out, it's probably illegal and nearly impossible if to run it on two computers at same time.

But maybe not . . .

I've installed XP many of times. I had the toll-free activation number memorized.
Every time I changed anything on my system it meant reactivating.
Recently I was forced to install XP in virtual box (I'd never actually install it as the base operating system). And guess what? No activation whines. I don't know if they gave up on me, integrated it with their Genuine Advantage Spy Agreement, or just don't care about XP anymore. Whatever, I'm grateful not to have had to call Microsoft for the umpteenth time to activate a copy I paid $ for.:P

sudoer541
April 26th, 2010, 01:50 AM
just install ReactOS and you should be fine.
you can install 3rd party solitaire apps that are better than the crap that Microsoft has on Windows.
BTW I find ReactOS very compatible with pretty much everything + ITS LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!:P:)

Note: you can copy some of your DLLs from your original xp to reactOS for better compatibility!!!!!!!!!!!

Bon chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmix
April 26th, 2010, 02:55 AM
yeah reactos rule!

I am genuine windows xp user.
my next windows os will be reactos!

Lightstar
April 26th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I hate marketing crap.

When I buy an OS.. while I agree we shouldn't be able to give it to everyone, but we should be able to install it on multiple computers in the same household.

Now with Win 7 there is some stuff like family edition where you can install it on 3 pcs I think? same with some of norton antivirus, that is acceptable.

Anyway, in your case, it's possible to do it, but it's not legal.
I'd say go with linux.

perlluver
April 26th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Yes anytime Windows XP is installed it has to be activated. Unless by some chance you have the school edition, it does not activate. So if it is installed somewhere else, it will most likely not work. I say Ubuntu with KPatience and you have some very nice games installed by default.

a.walker
April 26th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Four points:

1. I know someone who once installed XP on a couple of machines using the same product key and activated them. The boxes kept working like normal and the MS swat team did not get him. This violates the EULA for XP.

2. You can check craigslist for someone selling / giving away a broken computer that has a product key attached to it. This may or may not break the XP EULA, but you have almost zero chance of getting caught and even less of a chance of someone doing something about it.

3. When I lived in Russia I noticed that they have a utility that bypasses product activation (tricks Windows into thinking it has been activated). I do not recommend this since it violates the DMCA.

4. Use this as an opportunity to sell them on free software. (Completely legal and free)

Ebere
April 26th, 2010, 03:57 AM
So the question is: If anybody remembers, do i need an internet connection to activate windows? If i am not wrong, even with an original cd key, i still have to verify online or else there will only be a trial version of windows...but i'm not sure since it has been quite sometime since i install windows.

You have to have the cd key just to get xp installed.

Once you install xp, you will have 30 days to activate it.

You must activate it either online, or over the phone.

Whether anything in the activation process actually pays any attention to whether it is also installed on some other computer, elsewhere... I have no idea.

witeshark17
April 26th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Winxp: the oldest known waste of hard drive space... :lolflag:

lisati
April 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Thread closed: using your own XP disk on someone else's computer sounds a bit like pirating to some of us - potential legal hassles and the like.
+1 to the suggestion for checking out something like ReactOS even though it's still in alpha.