PDA

View Full Version : Konqueror as a web browser is a joke

kavon89
April 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Version tested: Kubuntu 10.04 RC, I believe it includes Konqueror 4.2.0

#1: Konqueror fails and crashes in Acid3. It normally says JavaScript needs to be enabled for the test, but it certainly is on. (so there must be a be a problem with JS detection). Sometimes when refreshing the test it will actually run and get to 42% with rendering issues before segfaulting!

#2: Facebook doesn't work, it asks if you'd like to open a file instead and the URL of it starts with m.facebook.com. Why is it being detected and redirected to a mobile site? I wouldn't think the guys over at facebook broke things. I googled around and found that going to facebook.com/?w2m will allow konq to load it properly... and it's rendered entirely wrong. (hence my trying Acid3)

x-shaney-x
April 25th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I can't comment on the acid test thing but regarding facebook, not sure what the problem is for you but it loads fine here.

And like virtually every other browser I have tried, it still loads web pages about twice as fast as firefox <sigh>

jrusso2
April 25th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I prefer Firefox or Chrome to Konqueror has never been very good.

Untitled_No4
April 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Re: Facebook and Konqueror, it's not Konqueror's fault but Facebook's since they don't acknowledge the existence of Konqueror they redirect it to their mobile site.
To fix this go to Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Browser Identification and set Konqueror to Identify as Firefox (or whatever else Facebook do support) to Facebook.

It doesn't change the fact that Konqueror can hardly compete with browsers made by companies and foundations with a much bigger budget. And let's not forget that deep inside both Safari and Google Chrome has some of Konqueror inside of them since Webkit is a fork of KHTML.

kavon89
April 26th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Browser Identification and set Konqueror to Identify as Firefox to Facebook

I'll probably do that and see how it goes because I dislike having more than one browser installed. Thanks.

texaswriter
April 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Konqueror> I use dual-browsers because if I go away from my computer for long time [like if it goes to screensaver], if I try to use sound in Firefox, it sounds stuttered and some things get into a loop. Really weird. So, instead of closing all my browsers and restarting [and sometimes relogging], I just open up a konqueror windown and watch my videos [etc] in there.

Well, Konqueror usually works fine for me. The only thing I've really noticed that is annoying is when you are on a website with flash, occasionally all the dialog boxes on the ENTIRE window [including the address bar and search bar] suddenly don't accept keyboard input [of any kind]. This happens if I goto youtube. Opening another window and other things seems to fix this temporarily.

Otherwise though, Konqueror isn't bad at all.

I can't say that I have ever used it as my main browser though... Firefox gets the majority of my use on any installation I have.

RickyCodes
April 26th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Dont like KonQueror myself. Prefer Firefox, Opera, and Chrome.

v1ad
April 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
love chrome. stupid fast

23meg
April 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Moved to Community Cafe, as this seems to be more of a rant than a support request regarding testing in Lucid.

NightwishFan
April 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I like Konqueror, it is practically it's own desktop environment. It has a beautiful logo as well. Though I have to say I prefer Epiphany as a web browser, they both are fairly poor at rendering some stuff. (Such as Ubuntu Forums)

krazyd
April 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'll probably do that and see how it goes because I dislike having more than one browser installed. Thanks.

You might like to try rekonq. It's under heavy development, but is very usable and is the first browser I have found that comes close to being a full firefox replacement (has good adblock & cookie management).

It uses the KDE subsystems for storing passwords and bookmarks so all those you have saved in Konqueror are automatically available. It's also based on webkit (like Chrome, Safari) so is very fast.

Daily PPA: https://launchpad.net/~rekonq/+archive/rekonq-daily
More info: http://gitorious.org/rekonq

autumnraine
April 26th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Re: Facebook and Konqueror, it's not Konqueror's fault but Facebook's since they don't acknowledge the existence of Konqueror they redirect it to their mobile site.
To fix this go to Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Browser Identification and set Konqueror to Identify as Firefox (or whatever else Facebook do support) to Facebook.

It doesn't change the fact that Konqueror can hardly compete with browsers made by companies and foundations with a much bigger budget. And let's not forget that deep inside both Safari and Google Chrome has some of Konqueror inside of them since Webkit is a fork of KHTML.

I find Facebook to be unreasonably buggy in any browser - like it was coded by distracted children.

I second the vote for rekonq - I think it has the potential for greatness :).

mockingbird
April 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I got an 89% in Acid3 and a "you should not see this at all" in the top left corner. Firefox gives me 94%. Konqueror also fails Acid2. The nose is not correct.

Firefox version: 3.6.3
Konqueror version: 4.4.2

It doesn't crash though.

swoll1980
April 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Konqueror renders every page I go to incorrectly. The biggest problem I see are objects on the pages over lapping each other, especially input boxes.

RiceMonster
April 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
#1: Konqueror fails and crashes in Acid3. It normally says JavaScript needs to be enabled for the test, but it certainly is on. (so there must be a be a problem with JS detection). Sometimes when refreshing the test it will actually run and get to 42% with rendering issues before segfaulting!

I was not aware of this.

http://omploader.org/vNGE2bA/2010-04-26-095825_3200x1080_scrot.png

Konqueror could definitely be better, however. I think most of the problems would be solved if they would get it over with and switch to WebKit.

krazyd
April 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Konqueror could definitely be better, however. I think most of the problems would be solved if they would get it over with and switch to WebKit.
KHTML is part of the KDE 4 platform, and so it is going to be with us at least until KDE 5.

If you want to try Konqueror with WebKit rendering rather than KHTML, try this:

sudo apt-get install kpart-webkit

Just remember that it is supposed to be for testing only and has no guarantees of stability! :P

chucky chuckaluck
April 26th, 2010, 04:14 PM
There is a webkit kpart(Ithink that's what it's called) for konqueror.

Roasted
April 26th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Agreed. Konqueror sucks.

Dear Kubuntu Devs - Let's wise up and include Firefox instead of a Firefox installer by default.

RiceMonster
April 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM
KHTML is part of the KDE 4 platform, and so it is going to be with us at least until KDE 5.

If you want to try Konqueror with WebKit rendering rather than KHTML, try this:

sudo apt-get install kpart-webkit

Just remember that it is supposed to be for testing only and has no guarantees of stability! :P

There is a webkit kpart(Ithink that's what it's called) for konqueror.

I'm aware you can use WebKit with konqueror, I meant if they officially switched to WebKit.

Danny Dubya
April 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Agreed. Konqueror sucks.

Dear Kubuntu Devs - Let's wise up and include Firefox instead of a Firefox installer by default.

Not a bad idea at all. Hey, openSUSE's made Firefox default since it gained some level of KDE integration on their end, and Kubuntu Lucid has those same changes as well, so Maverick would be a good time to at least include Firefox, if not make it default. I'm sure they can get around the Live CD free space issue by downloading Firefox on the first boot or something.

krazyd
April 26th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Agreed. Konqueror sucks.

There's been talk of including rekonq. 0.5 will be out by 10.10.

lykwydchykyn
April 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
From what I've read on the situation, I think everyone pretty much acknowledges the problem, including the konqueror/khtml devs. Nobody's really sure what the best solution is, though.

This is a pretty good overview of the situation:
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/07/webkit.html

Shpongle
April 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I have always found konqueror to be a good browser. I hope the devs can put more work into it to get it on par with the others

beetleman64
April 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I find that Konqueror is a bit like IE. It does the job (just) but there are some needless issues and standards compliance is iffy at best. Give me Firefox any day.

Warpnow
April 26th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Not great, but still better than Firefox.

agnes
April 26th, 2010, 11:00 PM
About Rekonq... I don't know anything about WebKit, will Rekonq have (or soon be able to) make use of the Moonlight plugin? On the Rekonq site it says "Rekonq will never have tons of features like (some) other browsers." so one shouldn't have high hopes I guess.

For most people I know, not having it, would made them install Firefox immediately no matter how much Rekonq = Qt. (And, applying to Konqueror, no matter how much they enjoy it's a File Browser too.)

That is just an anecdote I know. But I've heard people say SilverLight is rarely used, but maybe this is a localization thing - on TV-broadcasting-corporations' websites here it is used a lot and sometimes the only option - don't know about all the other organisations and countries.

krazyd
April 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM
About Rekonq... I don't know anything about WebKit, will Rekonq have (or soon be able to) make use of the Moonlight plugin? On the Rekonq site it says "Rekonq will never have tons of features like (some) other browsers." so one shouldn't have high hopes I guess.

rekonq can use mozilla plugins just like konqueror

nortexoid
July 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Konqueror's not bad. It's noticeably slower (esp. java) than top browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) but it's good enough. Some pages are rendered incorrectly, but it's hard to tell if the browser's fault or poor page coding. Having a super high acid3 score is not at all important.

Konqueror with webkit (via the kpart-webkit package) is too buggy to use and it won't get much or any better. Konqueror is too dependent on HTML. Either they redesign it from the base up with qtwebkit or forget a usable konqueror with webkit backend.

I don't mind Konqueror but it doesn't stand a chance against modern browsers. E.g. the lack of an intelligent url bar (e.g. an "awesome bar" or "omnibar") is sorely missing.