PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu - use of file system during software installation.

garyiskidding
April 25th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hi There,

Being new to Ubuntu and linux OS in general, i wanted to know how a particular software application is installed on Ubuntu, in terms of the files that get created out of the downloaded archive that we want to install.

So, for example, if i install Tomcat web server through Synaptic, and check the properties of this package in synaptic, i see a whole lot of files created for this installation, distributed in various directories like 'ect/cron', 'ect/default', 'ect/init', 'ect/tomcat6', 'usr/share', 'var/lib'. Whereas in windows, everything is usually dumped in a single directory, like 'C:\Program Files\tomcat6'.

Just beginning to work on Ubuntu 10.04, and loving it a lot, but i want to understand how the installations choose these directories, what is the significance of each and which one of them has the launch file for the application.

Many thanks in advance :)

_0R10N
April 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM
it will totally depend on the kind of application you install. I recommend you to read some quick guide of the general structure of the Linux FileSystem, so you can predict where your installed applications can be found.

Kind regards!

_0R10N >>

garyiskidding
April 25th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Alrighty :)