PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] To do list/sheduler/task list.

dE_logics
April 25th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I need a management software to manage all tasks, with the time when it's to be executed (not computer tasks, real world tasks), reminders etc...

It'll be good if it's for Gnome.

Do we have such software for xfce, kde?

Edit -- and yeah, it should be capable of working offline.

Alan James
April 25th, 2010, 09:05 AM
This really depends on what you want the program to do. There are sticky note widgets that can display a to-do list such as gDesklets. More complex programs will send a text message or e-mail when a task is to be done.

A marketing company I worked for had an online project management program that automatically sent e-mails to project managers as the project got completed. As a video editor it also sent me e-mails of what scenes needed to be cut and when they needed them cut by. I would upload scenes to their server and get feedback that night from people in the field still shooting. It was a very complex piece of software that I'm sure cost a lot of money.

For personal use I have a Gmail account and simply use the Google Calenders section to keep my appointments and tasks in order. This works for me as it is accessible from any of my computers and automatically updates to my Android phone.

th5th
April 25th, 2010, 11:29 AM
For personal use I have a Gmail account and simply use the Google Calenders section to keep my appointments and tasks in order. This works for me as it is accessible from any of my computers and automatically updates to my Android phone.

This is probably your best bet. You can access it anywhere. A very tech-obsessed friend of mine puts all our lectures on his Google calendar, every class we have etc. Doesn't stop him missing half of them though :P

dE_logics
April 26th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I would prefer some offline software.

rudihawk
April 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Look for a small program called "Tasks" in the software center. I think it will cater for your needs. :)

Alan James
April 26th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Like I said, gDesklets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDesklets) work great and are stored on your machine. Included with Gnome is Tomboy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomboy_%28software%29) notes, which I think would also work well for you. Look into Cron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron) if you want automated reminders, because it can automate any task.

Basically what I was saying is that you need to know exactly what you want before you can find software that does it. Post a list of requirements and we will help you find what works best for you.

dE_logics
April 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the advices.

It should basically contain a list of tasks with the date at which they have to get executed. Optionally an alarm and a calender will be good.

It should highlight and tell me about how many days are left for the task, should contain a 'critical meter' for how important is the task and finally an option to mark the tasks as complete.

Grouping of the tasks types by custom categories, dates etc...

I know I can accomplish this using calc, but it's not my requirement, it my friend's and he won't use calc.

Alan James
April 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
This will take some research. I know it will involve cron somehow but I don't know how. It might be hard to get all of that in one GUI program, but I will look into finding something like this. Hopefully someone on here knows about this already and can help you faster than I can.

Alan James
April 28th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I have done some research and not found any one program that does that. You may have to use a few programs in conjunction with each other in order to get the desired effect.

However someone else on here might know of a single program that meets those exact needs.

dE_logics
April 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Ok. Thanks for the help.

Appears to be a hard job then.

mobilediesel
April 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I use Osmo (http://clayo.org/osmo/).
I had to compile it as I'm still running 8.04 (LTS). I believe it's in the repository starting with 9.10.
It does a task manager, calendar, notes and contact manager. You can hide/disable whichever modules you don't need. I think you can even compile it and leave any of those 4 out entirely. I'm running Openbox as my window manager so it should run fine with whatever you have. I ran it previously in gnome and xfce.

edited to add:
It stores it's data in xml files locally. I sym-linked the .osmo directory to my Dropbpx so I have a continuous, automatic backup of anything I enter.

Dayofswords
April 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
anyone look into sunbird?

Alan James
April 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
The program may exist and most likely does but I can't seem to find it. This is probably a problem with my research skills more than it is with the Linux communities development skills.

ryu kun
September 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Osmo looks like a good alternetive. However I could not find how to add clickable links to task descriptions or how to add files to tasks. My tasks mostly come from e-mails. So it is important for me. If I can't add files or links to tasks I cannot organize them.

Technotart
October 13th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I am a recent convert to Ubuntu so I kept it simple

I moved straight from MSOutlook to Evolution when I came over and I find the built-in Tasks feature more than adequate, a well as having all my emails (pop3 and IMAP) in on place with my calendar (sync'd to Gmail), contacts and notes in one place.

I tried quite a few other apps but each was too specific, not specific enough or simply too difficult for a busy guy to link/associate with othe programs.

Hope this helps. Technotart

incognita
September 20th, 2011, 02:58 PM
A list of top 5 to-do software for linux. It includes exactly what you are looking for. ThinkingRock looks lovely and so does Makagiga.

Osmo looked promising (not in the above link), however, they are currently facing a bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/osmo/+bug/741003) that's supposed to be fixed with Oneric (it crashes as soon as you launch it). :P