PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A few newbie questions

Dibjibjub
April 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hi, I am still new to ubuntu, and I have a few questions concerning the Desktop environment.

1. I tried to install the KDE desktop environment after I read I could switch between Gnome and KDE on the boot screen, or log in screen, but it opens with the Kubuntu log in screen, but when I log in I am in the Gnome Desktop enviroment. How do I pick one or the other and change the log in back to Ubuntu?

2. How do I install a system sound theme in Gnome?

Thank you in advance

cespinal
April 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hey :)
At the log in screen, have a look at the bottom of it. There should be a little menu, ''session'' that will let to chose either gnome or kde (or any extra DE you have)

As for the sounds. I remember that the last time I wanted to do this, I downloaded a sound theme but had to replace each sound one by one...however this may have changed of course.

Dibjibjub
April 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
So, it may just be a matter of drag and drop? Any idea where I could find the files I would need to replace, or will I have to dive in to the file system and hope for the best? Lol.

cespinal
April 25th, 2010, 07:58 AM
go to sound preferences..surely you can choosee now sounds from it.

Dibjibjub
April 25th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Okay, Found the DE selecter.

With the sound system, despite that I logged in as Gnome, the system settings are in the KDE. So I really need to uninstall it....